Aircraft explodes at military airport in Rayong

webfact

Aircraft explodes at military airport at Rayong's airfield
The Nation

RAYONG: -- An aircraft exploded at a the military airport at Rayong's airfield yesterday morning, wounding four artillery officers. One of them was seriously injured with bullet in stomach.

The four victims were trying to fix ammunition jamming when the gun's chamber exploded.

The incident happened during the Air Force’s annual training of pilots and artillery.

Injured were Flight Sergeant First Class Chalong Manphrom’s stomach. The three others were identified as Pilot Officer Saksirin Rungroj, Flight Sergeant First Class Surachet Theekhawong, and Leading Aircraft man Kanphop Sriprasert.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-28

• Like 1

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally have never understood having the Thai air force. Who are they going to do air strikes on,

Cambodia ???

Don't you think Thailand has the rigth to have an Air Force just like you country does ?

Anyway, during WWII Thailand fought Laos-based Franchs. Apparantely the Thai AF did good that maybe another reason they want the tradition to continue.

• Like 2

The Air Force needs to be in a state or readiness in case they decide to drop 1,000,000 paper cranes on the South again.

If I recall correctly, they weren't exactly ready to assist in evacuating people from Egypt.

Does anybody have any idea of what exactly exploded? It surely wasn't an entire aircraft?

Edited by Credo
  • Like 2

I personally have never understood having the Thai air force. Who are they going to do air strikes on,

Cambodia ????

Ditto for having an aircraft carrier and I believe there was / is talk of getting submarines.

It's all just face and to stick it to all the near neighbours, we are bigger, better and stronger than you. As if they care.

That's an aircraft carrier with no serviceable airplanes.... which of course leaves plenty of room for the blimp. thumbsup.gif

Still, that's one better than Thailand's latest strategic partner, Tajikstan, whose Air Force has no airplanes at all. biggrin.png

or the Royal Navy (that would be the British Royal Navy if anyone is wondering) who decommissioned its aircraft carriers before the new ones were built and the aircraft ready to be delivered. (When they are I wonder if the 2 components will be compatible???)

• Like 1

Keep up the brill reporting Nation.

<deleted>, what aircraft ???? tiger moth ??? Do you want your TVF posters to keep posting ??? if so get real with your topic headings it is getting farcical.

I for one look at a topic and find it not just misleading but ridiculous. My English is far from perfect but at least it's something that is near enough. If you people there cannot relate properly then 7-11 have jobs everywhere.

• Like 1

Cambodia ???

Don't you think Thailand has the rigth to have an Air Force just like you country does ?

Anyway, during WWII Thailand fought Laos-based Franchs. Apparantely the Thai AF did good that maybe another reason they want the tradition to continue.

they also surrended to the Japs.

Ask anyone between 15 and 45 about WW2 blink.png No such thing happened

Wonderful schools here, lets not teach the kids anything about the outside world w00t.gif

Reminds me of one of the lessons I had with my M3 students (before I left) -- I showed them the wiki on it and asked them "Did your Thai teachers ever teach you this in History?" "Yeah, that's right... Thailand declared war on the US coalition... how do you feel about that?" and they told me that all they learn in Thai history is that Thais are always good and are always right.

I am glad that no one died. Having said that, I am not a fan of military expenditure. The military are more often than not used against their own citizenry. The Thai military is bloated, inefficient, and a vehicle for corruption. Downsizing needed.

• Like 1

Cambodia ????

All of Thailand's military capability exists for foreign and domestic enemies. How many countries have military bases, thousands in barracks, tanks, in downtown districts of the capital and major cities? The Thai military has been used against its own people more often than any foreign country, since WWII.

• Like 2

Injured were Flight Sergeant First Class Chalong Manphrom’s stomach

Obviously a Very Important Stomach. I wonder if it is someone's son's stomach that should also be named.

The others didn't get their parts named - quite sad.

HA-HA------ the best laugh I"ve had for weeksclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 2

I live in Samui and we can hear the Thai air force jets training regularly.

Those new "Saab Grippen" jets are Swedish built and the first 6 were delivered in 2011 as a replacements for their former US jets.

They are based in Surat Thani military airfield.

They received the last 6 this year.

They are certainly not flying with Tiger Mot......

http://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=saab%20gripen&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CEUQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.saabgroup.com%2Fen%2FAir%2FGripen-Fighter-System%2FGripen-for-Thailand%2F&ei=ZnAdUuqAF6vH7AaqhYDYCQ&usg=AFQjCNHdTAYjN0Md6hwD6h_Z8xbSaj8dFQ

I live in Samui and we can hear the Thai air force jets training regularly.

Those new "Saab Grippen" jets are Swedish built and the first 6 were delivered in 2011 as a replacements for their former US jets.

They are based in Surat Thani military airfield.

They received the last 6 this year.

They are certainly not flying with Tiger Mot......

http://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=saab%20gripen&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CEUQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.saabgroup.com%2Fen%2FAir%2FGripen-Fighter-System%2FGripen-for-Thailand%2F&ei=ZnAdUuqAF6vH7AaqhYDYCQ&usg=AFQjCNHdTAYjN0Md6hwD6h_Z8xbSaj8dFQ

I am quite aware of the Swedish planes, aircraft is a hobby of mine.

You refer to my bit about tiger moths ?? cheesy.gif

I posted that in response to the TOPIC heading, and also to the out of date training of weaponry/ammo.,

Was the Grippens deal done on a chickens swap ???whistling.gif

The Gripen is probably a good choice for Thailand but only 12 of them? Where do they get the satellite communications from? True Vision?

However the post states "Aircraft Explodes", when in reality someone only detonated a jammed round in a gun...... or are we down to 11 already, or maybe it was an F-16 they can no longer get parts for...

Ridiculous headline, no real facts, journalism at it's finest.

Oh well as long as it was mechanical failure caused by inferior western machinery and no one was to blame it's all good !!!

• Like 1