Free Bus to Chaeng Wattana

I wanted to let you know, whoever is looking for a simple way of getting to Bangkok immigration, there is a bus #166 from VICTORY MONUMENT, that goes all the way in the shortest way right to the door of the immigration. And it's free.

When you get off the BTS heading to VICTORY MONUMENT, take the stairs to the left, walk left to the next street, cross the street, and there is a bus station for bus #522. #166 also stops there.

Any way does not matter. Good for you for getting a free ride and if it was red an cream colour then well done as thats an expressway bus aircon and one of the most exspensive.

Btw sorry to deflate there are no free busses there.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I deleted my post as some people are reporting the bus is sometimes free. Seems unlikely but I have no evidence that it isn't.

EDIT: Had a quick search and it turns out there are a lot of free buses in Bangkok, some journeys on some routes, to help poor people. Who knew!? Thanks to OP for pointing this out, although this route is definitely not free ALL the time.

Edited by partington

The reason I brought it up was mainly because I, like the rest of us, used to take a van, and then either a shuttle bus or motorcy to the place. This bus get all the way to the door of immigration. No hussle. The free ride is a bonus, and I don't mind paying the fare if needed!

VhbHpFb.png

suBserH.png

there is that so difficult. where the 166 bus stop is at victory monument

you also need to look for this sign in the window:post-58284-0-09203500-1377097039_thumb.j because there are two different routes for that 166 bus more info and bigger image at this thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/662104-chaeng-wattana-immretirement-extension-trip-report-aug-2013/page-2#entry6741355

Edited by john baah jumper
  • Like 1

I'm beginning to wonder whether this free non-stop bus to the government complex in Chaeng Watthana is intended for government employees working there. We'd have to analise all the Thai writing on that bus to know.

I'm beginning to wonder whether this free non-stop bus to the government complex in Chaeng Watthana is intended for government employees working there. We'd have to analise all the Thai writing on that bus to know.

writing says top line: sooni ratch garn

which is "government center"

bottom line: aanoosarvaree choy

which is "victory monument"

so it have nothing to do with restrictions just tells where the bus is going.

the other 166 bus without the covering yellow sign in the window goes to impact stadium/muang thorn thanee

Edited by john baah jumper
  • Like 1

So there were, and perhaps still are, a number of free bus routes in Bangkok for the general population.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Still are. I saw one tonight on Ratchaprarop. The signs are in the front window and often over the door as well. It is sheer luck as to whether you can find one when you want it or not. I don't know of a line that is entirely free, I have only seen/riden seemingly random buses that are free. On popular routes they are often packed, when I rode a free #166 I was one of four people on board. I think the idea is to be able to advertise that politician X brought X number of free buses to the public without any messy record keeping that might actually be verifiable and tarnish someones reputation. They don't seem to be particularly useful to those who genuinely need them due to their random nature but perhaps there is some pattern I am missing.

Aircon buses are never free. The conductors are not particularly active in getting the fares though. The system relies on people being honest.

yeah those blue buses are aircon and i've never seen a free one either. only free ones i've seen are the red ones with a white sticker with thai writing along the whole top of the windscreen. so were tossing up on around 18 baht here for this trip. think ive had only one free trip on a non-free bus that was on a very crowded bus for about 500 meters trip. plus she yelled in agony something like "you cant get off, you havent paid" from somewhere deep within the impenetrable crowd as i was getting off. she simply didnt have time to collect all the oncoming fares for the short trip duration. was afternoon rush hour. i got off anyway and the bus took off a second later.

Edited by Bounngou