Two Chinese tourists die in Pattaya speedboat accident

webfact

Thanks for reviving that one...

I was going to ask... why the AFP didn't somehow include that recent escapade with the Korean tourists in their litany of Thailand tourist mayhem....

And it was a speedboat accident nearby to Pattaya as well.

It's happen before. It happened again now. And it surely will happen again in the future.

And the one thing everyone can be sure of is... nothing will be done to change that sorry pattern.

My apartment over looks Pattaya Bay, so when I sit on my balcony and look out at the water, part of my "entertainment" is watching the speed boats zoom the tourists to the islands or parachute gliding for the day. Amazing how many close calls there are... It seems the drivers do not understand how to slow down or how to "respect" other boats or even swimmers. When no one in this culture is held accountable or not educated/ trained about boat safety, these sad stories will continue. Remember the Koreans a few months ago that died in another boat accident in Pattaya???

toenail why don't you set up a camera and record it, that way you can sell the vid to the papers or such and make money.. when an accident happens..

sorry wrong idea you will probably be found after committing suicide

carry on looking but keep quiet..wai.gif

All I can say is that the men who captain these speed boats are idiots I have seen it myself while diving in Pattaya you have your warning flag to say there are divers in the area they surly must also see the dive boat but they still speed into the area I'm surprised more people are not injured or even killed they are complete idiots I wouldn't even give them charge of a canoe. Its about time the authorities did something about them. Commiserations to the families of the dead and may they Rest In Peace.

They drive motorbikes cars and boats in the same wreckless manner - throw some passengers into the mix and you have these tragic accidents caused by some young unskilled untrained idiot that thinks he is invincible

Any port or harbour that I am aware of have strictly enforced speed limits and drivers that are educated and understand the dangers - it's interesting that you need an education and training to work in a 7/11 but to drive a boat with responsibility for many other people ....... any dumb ass will do

RIP

I really don't understand how they can have accident with an anchored boat...It is common sense to slow down when you arrive near a port or a beach. I could understand if the accident took place with another speed boat involved with a really bad weather....but this...It makes me feel like the driver was drunk and took drugs and was not even looking where he was going.

And it always happens in Pattaya ! What is wrong with them ?

If you're always pissed are smashed on drugs then you're half way to getting your speed boat license; you just have to then make enough for the mafia & BIB tea money.

• Like 1

I really don't understand how they can have accident with an anchored boat...It is common sense to slow down when you arrive near a port or a beach. I could understand if the accident took place with another speed boat involved with a really bad weather....but this...It makes me feel like the driver was drunk and took drugs and was not even looking where he was going.

If you're always pissed are smashed on drugs then you're half way to getting your speed boat license; you just have to then make enough for the mafia & BIB tea money.

Anyway; Phuket is just as bad!

They drive motorbikes cars and boats in the same wreckless manner - throw some passengers into the mix and you have these tragic accidents caused by some young unskilled untrained idiot that thinks he is invincible

Any port or harbour that I am aware of have strictly enforced speed limits and drivers that are educated and understand the dangers - it's interesting that you need an education and training to work in a 7/11 but to drive a boat with responsibility for many other people ....... any dumb ass will do

RIP

Anchored or not, if you are taking on a slower moving vessel, let alone one that is anchored, you certainly would not pass by at such a speed and cause a wake on the other. From the damage I see in the picture, they must have been 75%+ Throttle.. Obvious operator error. Another example of the value of life here in the LOS.

RIP

Anchored or not, if you are taking on a slower moving vessel, let alone one that is anchored, you certainly would not pass by at such a speed and cause a wake on the other. From the damage I see in the picture, they must have been 75%+ Throttle.. Obvious operator error. Another example of the value of life here in the LOS.

Surprising as it may sound, normally when you are travelling at speed in a vessel across the sea you will create less of a wake as less of the vessel is in the water. (Why would you pass the bow of an anchored vessel instead of the stern??)

That said, due care and attention should be given to any vessel at anchor, giving it as wide a berth as possible, and the cox'n of the passing boat should have a local knowledge of the state of the tides in that area at the time of passing.

A lot of these speedboats use polypropylene (or similar) ropes for their anchor lines, so if you are in slack water (with the tide neither pushing or pulling) the buoyancy properties of say, polypropylene will bring the rope close to the surface between the vessel and the anchor, causing a potential hazard to passing craft.

I think this is what possibly happened here. I am assuming it was an outboard (or outboards) on the back of the speedboat, the propeller shaft(s) have caught on the anchor line, possibly ripping them (the outboards) off, and the boat has either catapulted or turned into the anchored vessel to cause the damage seen in the picture in the OP.

Still, a very unfortunate accident. IMO (yes, I know unlikely) a licencing system should be in place (rather, enforced) for anybody in charge of a vessel transferring passengers ensuring the cox'ns have a reasonable working knowledge of the rules of the road.

RIP to the deceased, and a quick recovery to the survivors.

Edited by chrisinth

It's just the old "no rules/save money theme". Take the parasails for example. It is law in most countries to have a "driver" and a "watcher" ie: two people in the boat. When the "driver" is also "the watcher" and he is trying to land a parasail on a platform in the wind can he really see where he is going?

THey were obviously not towing anything in this case, butI have seen these boats racing each other on the way back from Koh Larn - both drivers looking at each other and shouting comments - definitely not looking where they are going.

Anyway it is lovely to walk along the beach early in the morning and inhale the fresh smell of petrol and two stroke oil as these jokers gun their engines to get their overloaded boats out of the shallows.

May these recent people RiP but there are definitely gong to be more.

Pattaya has more operational speedboats than Bangkok whistling.gif

A little bit hypocritical of China voicing concerns about a few of their citizens outside of China when inside their country hundreds die in mining or other accidents that could probably have been avoided.

Yes, but you are missing the point, the first of which to be pedantic is that, all accidents can be avoided. The second of which, these people don't pay good money to visit to be murdered or to be charitable die because of the actions of some idiot.

"...all accidents can be avoided" Realy???

Or do you mean only the ones that happen on purpose?

"Meanwhile China has voiced concern at recent accidents befalling its nationals on snorkelling trips."

Ah. And that would be the same China where they sell dodgy baby formula, drive over toddlers, ignore toddlers that have been driven over, and have several of the world's most polluted cities .... the list goes on a long, long time and I haven't even mentioned the human rights abuses.

China and its government are the archetypal heap of sh*t.

Not to mention the little boy who went out for a stroll and had both his eyes gouged out by someone. He was found by his parents sans eyeballs. It's reported today on BBC website.

That's one of the sickest things I've ever heard, and being a father of a young boy it breaks my heart :(

Sent from my GT-N7000B

• 4 weeks later...

All I can say is that the men who captain these speed boats are idiots I have seen it myself while diving in Pattaya you have your warning flag to say there are divers in the area they surly must also see the dive boat but they still speed into the area I'm surprised more people are not injured or even killed they are complete idiots I wouldn't even give them charge of a canoe. Its about time the authorities did something about them. Commiserations to the families of the dead and may they Rest In Peace.

Oh! c'mon LUSHGOAT. How on earth can you expect these speed boat "Captains" to understand your "DIVER DOWN" flag

when it is just another silly farang idea and not Thai at all.

• Like 1