Education Fund

gemguy

I want to set up a education fund for my nearly 1 year old male child.

I am from Canada and it turns out I can not retain a Canadian ( Government backed ) education fund of any kind on behalf of my child if I am not a resident of Canada.

It turns out also that I can not be the owner of ( non educational ) insurance based mutual fund type investments issued in Canada if I am not a resident of Canada.

So I am considering similar funds issued here in Thailand.....but naturally, over a 18 year period, until the child matures, and uses the money for education, I do not trust that the fund will be administered correctly...or even exist 18 years from now.

Does anyone have any experience here in Thailand with long term education type funds or mutual funds that are safe to be used as a furture education fund...either Thai based or international...say Singapore or maybe Hong Kong

The ones that I did look into being issued in Canada are safe and pay around 4 to 6 % average per year and low risk.

There are higher risk funds at 8 to 10 % average per year and even higher pay outs if your a risk taker.

Most of the investement funds on offer in Canada are offerd by insurance corporations that are safe and trustworthy while 18 years from now the companies are not going to cheat you or go bankrupt or run with the money.

Cheers

post-97426-0-16168100-1377745007_thumb.j

I don't know if you have any life insurance, bit if not you could buy one of the Thai Life Insurance Policies that after a period of time it will pay you the value. My wife has one that she pays around ฿15,000 a year for twenty years. At the end of that time she will get ฿300,000 or if she dies before that her estate will get ฿300,000. It isn't a great investment, but does give you some insurance protection and a lump some at the end you could use to pay for the kid's education.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app