Portable Flood Wall a benchmark for improved flood management schemes in Ayutthaya

webfact

Portable Flood Wall a benchmark for improved flood management schemes in Ayutthaya

BANGKOK, 29th August 2013 (NNT) – Portable Flood Wall is a benchmark for improved flood management schemes in Ayutthaya.

High-level provincial officials of Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Province yesterday revealed that Panan Cherng Wora Wiharn Temple( วัดพนัญเชิง ) in Ayutthaya is in the process of constructing a flood wall at the cost of 148 million baht alloted by the Department of Public Works and Town & Country Planning.

The protection scheme is similar to the existing one at Chai Wattanaram Temple, where portable floodwalls can be lowered and raised according to water levels. The new wall, 596 meters in length, is being constructed along the temple’s river front at the height of 2.5 meters.

After the collapse of the previous flood management scheme, the current project is over 90% complete, with only decoration and planting of trees in the surrounding areas left to do. The wall is due for completion by September 2 this year.

Panan Cherng Wora Wiharn Temple is also a bethel for a sacred Buddha statue, a figure worshiped by the community and Buddhists in particular, whilst being a significant tourist attraction.

The completion of the flood wall will make the temple a safe harbor for people during natural disasters. Regardless, the project acts as a benchmark for flood defense projects in the province, as there are 14 other sites, which on average are 70% complete. 27 more projects will be implemented in the coming year.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-08-29 footer_n.gif

A quarter of a million baht per metre?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yep, 250,000B per meter, they need the money to help pay "RentaMob" in the near future.

Is it Karun-proof I wonder?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Not really. Deduct the 30% fee of the piggies and it comes to B174,000 per meter.

• Like 1

Not really. Deduct the 30% fee of the piggies and it comes to B174,000 per meter.

Get the dutch in , they can build it cheaper . And much better i am sure . But they are not corrupt , that's seems to be the problem .

Get the dutch in , they can build it cheaper . And much better i am sure . But they are not corrupt , that's seems to be the problem .

If the Dutch had been involved we would know it was done correctly and in the proper place. In case you didn't notice I have little trust in a Thai engendered Government controlled project.wai2.gif

It's portable!!!

Whatever that means.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yeah, I don't understand that one either, or the claim that the wall can be raised and lowered?????

Because of a Dutch anti corruption law it is virtually impossible for Dutch companies to even bid on this. A Dutch person or company can be prosecuted in the Netherlands for taking or paying corruption money.

Theoretically someone could already be prosecuted in the Netherlands for paying 100 baht to the Boys in Brown.

It's portable!!!

Whatever that means.

Yeah, I don't understand that one either, or the claim that the wall can be raised and lowered?????

Probably made of sand bags which are easily portable. Pile them up to raise - take them off to lower

It's portable!!!

Whatever that means.

Its very simple really They dont want the wall to get wet cheesy.gif

Sounds like the same builders who came to my place to quote a wall price.

At the price they wanted I asked if it was GOLD plated? rolleyes.gif