What do you miss most about home?

sunny and hot

I miss the low cost of just about everything I like to eat or drink or wear.

OR drive. sad.png

Agree on that, Cars are so vastly over priced in Thailand. Could pick up some really nice motors for half the cost of my CRV. One thing though, petrol in the UK is ridiculously priced. Done several trips last week from Cornwall to Bristol and Somerset, ouch.

I was born a Bristolian. smile.png

Which part?

Bristol, is actually a great city these days, I always like returning to my old University city.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone read the Op's post. EXCLUDING family and food!

Yes I assume some people are incapable of reading plain English.

Anyhow for me I miss my nan and grandad and battered black pudding.

Custard creams, rhubarb crumble & custard and the wind when out walking, bright sunny days that still have the cool breeze.

Familiar faces and being able to understand what people are talking about 100%.

Custard creams, rhubarb crumble & custard and the wind when out walking, bright sunny days that still have the cool breeze.

Stop, Stop sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png .........................smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

The odd thing is like you guys are talking as if you were refugees that were forced to flee from your home countries to go into a new country when in reality you chose to leave your country which in terms of standard of living is ranked higher than thailand and voluntarily live in thailand even marrying the locals, setting up businesses and the like.

Stop, Stop sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png .........................smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

The odd thing is like you guys are talking as if you were refugees that were forced to flee from your home countries to go into a new country when in reality you chose to leave your country which in terms of standard of living is ranked higher than thailand and voluntarily live in thailand even marrying the locals, setting up businesses and the like.

Loosen up chum. Some here like some fun once a day. laugh.png

• Like 1

I miss being able to go out and watch a decent football or rugby match.

Should've come down for last year's rugby game against Malaysia; it was a cracker. As was this year's game - Singapore - Malaysia. Thailand struggled a bit in Sri Lanka, despite a shock win in the first match against Kazakhstan, so they'll be back down in Division Two with Malaysia again this coming year.

I'm off to the Sevens at the weekend - MBPJ Stadium, Kelana Jaya again, if anyone's interested, so I'll let you know how Thailand get on...

SC

• Like 1

Erm..... you didn't answer my question.

Nevertheless, you are correct. I am in England.

I've been here a whole three weeks now.

Prior to that I was living and working in Thailand, next week I'm taking up my next overseas assignment (Not Thailand, Not UK - Overseas).

I am currently enjoying all the things I missed about England when I was in Thailand and all the things I will miss about England when I take up my next posting.

I think I can refer to these things as 'What I miss about home'.

Now we all live different lives but I trust you'll accept that three weeks spent anywhere does not constitute 'living there'. (if you do not, no matter, at least the HM Revenue and Tax Office accept the point).

Back the to question I asked and you dodged.

There is nothing remotely anti Thai in the OP's post, but you accuse him of being Anti Thai and in your efforts to dodge my question dream up some idea of me telling Thailand how bad it is for breakfast.

This thing about seeing 'Anti Thai' everywhere you look - its all in your own head.

Hence my question.

I wrote, " Or is the OP so anti Thai that we should add if you are at home not missing anything what do you think you would miss if you were in Thailand" That is a question and not a statement. I will not respond to further semantic arguments trying to prove you are right when you are wrong. Again, "is the OP so anti Thai" is a question. I did not write, "The OP is anti Thai"

Prior to that I was living and working in Thailand, next week I'm taking up my next overseas assignment (Not Thailand, Not UK - Overseas).

I am currently enjoying all the things I missed about England when I was in Thailand and all the things I will miss about England when I take up my next posting.

Now we all live different lives but I trust you'll accept that three weeks spent anywhere does not constitute 'living there'. (if you do not, no matter, at least the HM Revenue and Tax Office accept the point).

There is nothing remotely anti Thai in the OP's post, but you accuse him of being Anti Thai and in your efforts to dodge my question dream up some idea of me telling Thailand how bad it is for breakfast.

This thing about seeing 'Anti Thai' everywhere you look - its all in your own head.

Hence my question.

I wrote, " Or is the OP so anti Thai that we should add if you are at home not missing anything what do you think you would miss if you were in Thailand" That is a question and not a statement. I will not respond to further semantic arguments trying to prove you are right when you are wrong. Again, "is the OP so anti Thai" is a question. I did not write, "The OP is anti Thai"

I'd hoped it was a rhetorical question, and that no-one would answer it. Sadly, Guesthouse entertained your ill-nature.

While we're on the subject of off-topic bickering, I miss long summer evenings on the beach. I miss the intimate knowledge of my surroundings and their recent history; I miss knowing what was there before... I miss a shared knowledge with those I meet - although fortunately the internet gives you the opportunity to get some of that with relative strangers...

SC

Hence my question.

I'd hoped it was a rhetorical question, and that no-one would answer it. Sadly, Guesthouse entertained your ill-nature.

While we're on the subject of off-topic bickering, I miss long summer evenings on the beach. I miss the intimate knowledge of my surroundings and their recent history; I miss knowing what was there before... I miss a shared knowledge with those I meet - although fortunately the internet gives you the opportunity to get some of that with relative strangers...

SC

To say you don't miss something from your home country is bull shit and I don't believe it.

How are you so sure of what's happened in other people's head?

You are a psychiatrist maybe? ...No...

Not only you know what's in other people's head you also know it is bullshit! If one day you'll be a politician, success guarantee coffee1.gif

Thank you very much for the advise but I think I will stick to engineering.

So are you saying that you don't miss anything??

If you don't, you are the first, people will always miss something unless they are completely crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

To say you don't miss something from your home country is bull shit and I don't believe it.

Not only you know what's in other people's head you also know it is bullshit! If one day you'll be a politician, success guarantee coffee1.gif

If you don't, you are the first, people will always miss something unless they are completely crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

I would just like to reiterate my earlier point that there is NOTHING I miss sufficiently to cause me any lost sleep, or undue concern.

Of course I miss Fullers London Pride - but, there is nothing I can do about that so it only takes up any of my thought process when threads like this appear. Then I go back to my bottle of LEO or can of Angkor beer.

I miss being able to go out and watch a decent football or rugby match.

Should've come down for last year's rugby game against Malaysia; it was a cracker. As was this year's game - Singapore - Malaysia. Thailand struggled a bit in Sri Lanka, despite a shock win in the first match against Kazakhstan, so they'll be back down in Division Two with Malaysia again this coming year.

I'm off to the Sevens at the weekend - MBPJ Stadium, Kelana Jaya again, if anyone's interested, so I'll let you know how Thailand get on...

SC

Are Thailand any good? I used to watch Aberdeen Grammar FPs, my old team. They improved remarkably in the last 20 years even beat Hawick last week. They were only Division 2 when I played for them and now the premier.

I would just like to reiterate my earlier point that there is NOTHING I miss sufficiently to cause me any lost sleep, or undue concern.

Of course I miss Fullers London Pride - but, there is nothing I can do about that so it only takes up any of my thought process when threads like this appear. Then I go back to my bottle of LEO or can of Angkor beer.

I agree with that, if you just think about what you miss the whole time you better pack your suitcase and move home.

As I wrote in my post I plan to spend some time home each year and I think that is the best solution in my case, I wouldn't like to spend a winter in Denmark (ever again).

Most of the things that I miss about home I can never experience again, because the time as well as the place (and the people) are equally important. I'm trying not to dwell on such issues, as I intend to make the most of my wallowing in nostalgia when I'm in my seventies.

SC

• Like 1

Some posters, as ever, are missing the point.

The OP asked what they missed about home and that's a perfect valid question. I'm sure most of us could make an even longer list about things we'd miss about Thailand if we were back home.

That is hardly 'Thai bashing'.

The OP asked that food be excluded from the thread. The first 6 posts were about what? You guessed it. Food.

And the next ten posts? You guessed it, the majority about food.

And the next, "paying through the nose for foodstuffs I took for granted back home. Went back to the UK for the first time in years a few months back. Wandering round Tescos sossie section, Cumberlands, Lincolnshires, all at about 30 baht a pack. Nearly brought me to tears..... And don't get me started on the pate...."

Anti Thai posts? The next guy misses,"The cool sea breezes in height of summer and magnificent sun sets over the ocean." Thailand doesn't have these? Oh come on. I live on the ocean in Thailand and they do every night.

Or, "Easy access to good books and an intellectual conversation" You mean Thailand has not the INTERNET?

Anti Thai? Thailand does not have books or pretty sunsets? Oh come on. 10 posts longing for batter fried fish. Humans with access to food from every part of the globe miss batter fried fish? No wonder they drink beer warm and eat deep fried candy bars. One poster says all Thais are crazy and he misses sanity. Anti Thai? No of course not. And another poster says only non Thai food doesn't look like rubbish? Ergo all Thai food looks like rubbish (anti Thai posts?).

Kenny misses white girls. Not anti Thai of course not.

Thailand does not have clean air. Right sure. And LA does. That's what I mean about anti Thai. Every country has places with clean air and places with dirty air. If you want clean air in Thailand you don't go to Bangkok or Chiang Mai. That's not hard to figure.

Another fellow has not found a club with no prostitutes in Thailand. What? What nonsense. 90% of the clubs in Thailand don't have hookers. Or, "I think if I spend 12 month here a year I would go mad." What kind of a person would write that?

Arthur misses cleavage. That means all Thai women are flat chested and all the women from Arthur's country have big bosoms. Arthur must be mentally off. Cleavage is all around. Maybe not as large as Arthur is used to but I would bet the women are not as large as Arthur is used to either.

Steve likes quiet surroundings, clean non-polluted areas. Steve must be a nut case to not know where to find quiet surroundings and clean non polluted areas in Thailand. My house is one and there are thousand upon thousands more.

The thread is riddled with anti Thai posts.

The thread was titled, what do you miss about home to exclude food. The question answered was, list the food not available in Thailand that is available in England and list the differences in temperature and climate between England and Thailand.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't see anything wrong with a thread about the differences in food and climate between England and Thailand. However I don't think that was the topic of this thread although that is what got answered.

Edited by historyprof

So I guess what you miss most is treatment for your paranoia

I was not making anything up. I used the statements of the posters in the thread to back up my thoughts. The thread in the majority s about English food and English weather. Am I wrong? No. Can't you do better than to call me names?

So I guess what you miss most is treatment for your paranoia

I was not making anything up. I used the statements of the posters in the thread to back up my thoughts. The thread in the majority s about English food and English weather. Am I wrong? No. Can't you do better than to call me names?

I rest my case.

Snow, frosts,freezing winds,no sun,get up in the dark for work, and arrive home in the dark,LOLlaugh.pnglaugh.png

You're making me homesick, now.

Luckily in our office, the air con is outrageously fierce, so I'm going to start taking my gloves in, to get a bit more use out of them.

SC

The OP asked that food be excluded from the thread. The first 6 posts were about what? You guessed it. Food.

And the next, "paying through the nose for foodstuffs I took for granted back home. Went back to the UK for the first time in years a few months back. Wandering round Tescos sossie section, Cumberlands, Lincolnshires, all at about 30 baht a pack. Nearly brought me to tears..... And don't get me started on the pate...."

Anti Thai posts? The next guy misses,"The cool sea breezes in height of summer and magnificent sun sets over the ocean." Thailand doesn't have these? Oh come on. I live on the ocean in Thailand and they do every night.

Or, "Easy access to good books and an intellectual conversation" You mean Thailand has not the INTERNET?

Anti Thai? Thailand does not have books or pretty sunsets? Oh come on. 10 posts longing for batter fried fish. Humans with access to food from every part of the globe miss batter fried fish? No wonder they drink beer warm and eat deep fried candy bars. One poster says all Thais are crazy and he misses sanity. Anti Thai? No of course not. And another poster says only non Thai food doesn't look like rubbish? Ergo all Thai food looks like rubbish (anti Thai posts?).

Thailand does not have clean air. Right sure. And LA does. That's what I mean about anti Thai. Every country has places with clean air and places with dirty air. If you want clean air in Thailand you don't go to Bangkok or Chiang Mai. That's not hard to figure.

Another fellow has not found a club with no prostitutes in Thailand. What? What nonsense. 90% of the clubs in Thailand don't have hookers. Or, "I think if I spend 12 month here a year I would go mad." What kind of a person would write that?

Arthur misses cleavage. That means all Thai women are flat chested and all the women from Arthur's country have big bosoms. Arthur must be mentally off. Cleavage is all around. Maybe not as large as Arthur is used to but I would bet the women are not as large as Arthur is used to either.

Steve likes quiet surroundings, clean non-polluted areas. Steve must be a nut case to not know where to find quiet surroundings and clean non polluted areas in Thailand. My house is one and there are thousand upon thousands more.

The thread was titled, what do you miss about home to exclude food. The question answered was, list the food not available in Thailand that is available in England and list the differences in temperature and climate between England and Thailand.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't see anything wrong with a thread about the differences in food and climate between England and Thailand. However I don't think that was the topic of this thread although that is what got answered.

Again, I dont want to be rude here, but for some unexplainable reason you seem to have mixed up "What you miss most about home" with "Analyse the answers in this thread from a manufactured viewpoint and share whatever gibberish you come up with".

Edited by Forethat
  • Like 1

Again, I dont want to be rude here, but for some unexplainable reason you seem to have mixed up "What you miss most about home" with "Analyse the answers in this thread from a manufactured viewpoint and share whatever gibberish you come up with".

I offered an explanation a few posts ago. The OP provided some additional to support my case. I think he deserves help rather than criticism...

Back on topic, the games at MBPJ stadium were probably below the standard you would expect in the Scottish borders, and there were a lot of infuriating knock-ons. The refereeing was pretty pish, and the playing of the advantage rule was generally poor. So I suppose a decent game of rugby would be up there on the list, though watching people playing in a quagmire as the rain comes down in stair-rods is more pleasant at 30 degrees than at 3.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy