Chain cleaner liquid?

notcloned

What should I use, and where can I find it in Thailand, to soak my chain in some chain cleaning liquid.

I plan to take my chain entirely off of my new Trek 1.1 road bike. It has a quick release link, (which I have not tried yet). And then soak it in a bowl of some sort of cleaning fluid.

I wanted to order from Amazon.com (but my reshipper is not supposed to ship this via airplane): Park Tool Citrus ChainBrite Cleaner - CB-2

Do you know a source of this in Thailand. Or what should I use instead? Petrol? Kerosene? Or what?

(Note: For lubricating my chain, I have already received 2 bottles of: Park Tool CL-1 Synthetic Blend Chain Lube Bottle (4 oz) )

(PS: I have found great success using Amazon.com USA (and various other merchants in USA), with the reshipper: Shipito.com sending via method EMS (U. S. Postal Service, "Express Mail" and "Express Mail Flat Rate Box, Medium or Large. This often results in no or low import duties.)

I've been using kerosene for about 6 years now and find it's the best. It's easy to find in Thailand - Nam Maan Gaz as well as the rest of SEA.

I also remove my chain completely and soak it in the kerosene for a few minutes, swish it around a bit and rinse it all off with a garden hose. The kerosene will leave a light oil film behind which will prevent rust from forming until dry. Re-lube the chain when dry and you're good to go. I do a lot of touring and have used this method on every tour. BTW no need to discard the kerosene as it can be continuously reused. I carry a medium size Listerine mouthwash bottle with me filled with kerosene. The plastic bottle will not be affected by the kerosene and the crud will settle to the bottom making reuse simple.

I've read where other people have used diesel fuel the same way but I can't stand the smell of diesel fuel so kerosene is my choice. The kerosene is practically odor free as well making chain cleaning easy even at hotels.

the Park's cleaner you mentioned is available for shipment to Thailand from numerous vendors on Ebay.

Yep, kerosene, which is cheap, easily available, and very effective. One clean method is to pour kerosene into an old bottle, tie a thin string to one end of the chain and feed it in, put the cap on over the string and swirl around for a while. Lift the chain out by the string, rinse, dry, remove string, lube, ride.

• Like 2