Thai Commerce Min rebuts toxic rice export rumours

webfact

Commerce Min rebuts toxic rice export rumours

BANGKOK, 30 August 2013 (NNT) - The Commerce Ministry has presented fresh evidence to deny a report that importers in the U.S. rejected a shipment of Thai rice due to toxic contamination.

During the House session, Deputy Commerce Minister Yanyong Phuangrach responded to an MP’s query about a report that the U.S. had declined to accept the shipment of 32,000 kilograms of Thai rice exported to the country. He clarified that the lot had to be sent back to Thailand as the appearance and fragrance of the rice did not match the importers’ specifications.

The deputy minister cited recent tests by the Food and Drug Administration as showing that the rejected rice was free from toxic contamination.

However, the news of the rejection has exacerbated public concerns over the quality of Thai rice as it came on the heels of a previous discovery of an excessive amount of chemical residue in rice packs sold in the country.

At the House meeting, Mr Yanyong also informed MPs that during the first round of rice pledging, the government accepted 14.5 million tons of rice and paid out a total of 230 billion baht to the farmers. 3.4 million households participated in the project. During the second round, 580,000 households have pledged their rice with the government so far and have received about 92 billion baht.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-08-30 footer_n.gif

So it wasn't contaminated, just crap.

Me thinks, its deeper than that. There is a strong possibility that someone from the inside is pulling strings from someone on the outside to discredit the people in the inside.

Me thinks, its deeper than that. There is a strong possibility that someone from the inside is pulling strings from someone on the outside to discredit the people in the inside.
I've exported loads of agricultural product from Thailand. If it's rejected, the supplier is more than entitled to negotiate to prevent it being returned.

Returning it is the last resort and suggests it was clearly sub standard. The loss is massive if the product has to be returned.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 2

In following this story, it appears that to deny the rice was returned to Thaland is denial of the truth. The intial rejection was due to odor and appearance. The US importer refused delivery and by doing so, probably demanded redress via a preformance bond that was a part of delivery contract. Your rice is suspect thus the buyers will set the standards, not the commerce ministry.

Makes no difference what the local test shows, the denial to a containation is not addressing the orginal rejection, just more double talk by another incompentent. Its over, done with, take your lumps and move on.

If this is an accurate story it represents true " Thainess " where an American importer rejects a delivery of rice and Thailand says " oh no you didn't ".

• Like 2

He clarified that the lot had to be sent back to Thailand as the appearance and fragrance of the rice did not match the importers’ specifications.

From what I read elsewhere it rice was rejected because it had a bad smell............fragrance did not match specifications?

In following this story, it appears that to deny the rice was returned to Thaland is denial of the truth. The intial rejection was due to odor and appearance. The US importer refused delivery and by doing so, probably demanded redress via a preformance bond that was a part of delivery contract. Your rice is suspect thus the buyers will set the standards, not the commerce ministry.

Makes no difference what the local test shows, the denial to a containation is not addressing the orginal rejection, just more double talk by another incompentent. Its over, done with, take your lumps and move on.

If this is an accurate story it represents true " Thainess " where an American importer rejects a delivery of rice and Thailand says " oh no you didn't ".

Yup.

It is a Xmas pantomime.

• Like 1

We use 75kg of it per week here in Oz. I sincerely hope it's not contaminated but I do know it's become harder and harder to cook over the past months without becoming one big glug. Rice has a very long shelf life - years in fact - yet it's almost as though it's stale. Found a few weevils and little black insects in it too.

Hey, Mampara! you are delightfully devious...keep drilling! ;-} rap.

I've exported loads of agricultural product from Thailand. If it's rejected, the supplier is more than entitled to negotiate to prevent it being returned.

Returning it is the last resort and suggests it was clearly sub standard. The loss is massive if the product has to be returned.

Thai at heart points to the real problem, loss of money/face, reputation, in additional it appears the commerce deparment has been assigned the task of marketing a product that is overpriced, substandartd by buyers purchase contracts (third party inspection of goods upon dock arrival are part of buyers expense).

Just throwing out a possibility, rice for consuption and garlic are stored seperately on the Thai farm (garlic rice does not seem to be one of the health kicks), the middlemen and politicans involved in this boondoggle have no clue to quality of product, storage, etc. The group tasked with selling this massive stockpile have no clue to "its a buyer market", international standards and safeguards to the buyer.nor the condition of the product they are attempting to sell. Convert the rice storage facilities to ice plants and the next great Thai project will be to sell ice in Alaska

He clarified that the lot had to be sent back to Thailand as the appearance and fragrance of the rice did not match the importers’ specifications.

From what I read elsewhere it rice was rejected because it had a bad smell............fragrance did not match specifications?

well lets face it, the whole scheme stinks from beginning to end!