When do airlines release seats for later next year?

DrChopper

all above are confusing 2 different things.

1.When they release the seats hardly matters, as asker seems mainly interested in the CHEAP fares. Also there is No rule of gold that all airlines follow now-some even have them up to 18/20 monthes advance. AND in some airlines they simply do not realease all seats same time.

2.the CHEAP fares will only come out much later, never more as 1 year ahead, often not even 6-7 monthes ahead. Again there is no golden rule for this: depends on season, airline, specific route. Airline wait for one another to either undercut those or put their assumed premioum on them. Or ait what oilprices will do. or how the economy developes. or wahtever some smart bisnis trainee might think of.

all above are confusing 2 different things.

1.When they release the seats hardly matters, as asker seems mainly interested in the CHEAP fares. Also there is No rule of gold that all airlines follow now-some even have them up to 18/20 monthes advance. AND in some airlines they simply do not realease all seats same time.

2.the CHEAP fares will only come out much later, never more as 1 year ahead, often not even 6-7 monthes ahead. Again there is no golden rule for this: depends on season, airline, specific route. Airline wait for one another to either undercut those or put their assumed premioum on them. Or ait what oilprices will do. or how the economy developes. or wahtever some smart bisnis trainee might think of.

Erm where in my question do you see reference to CHEAP?

When they release the seats does matter, as that was the question.

Thanks to those who have replied.

One can issue a ticket, with a return within 330 days, and then change the return, but changes may incur a fee.

I found that by calling the airline for the booking instead of doing it online I could get the rebooking fee of GBP100 waived, as they couldnt actually book beyond 330 days either even though the ticket was valid for 365 days.

So I got a ticket with a 300 day return and a free date change for any date up to 364 days from the outward trip.

Again, most airlines use CRS systems which interface with one or more of the major GDSes. Most of the major GDSes allow one to issue a ticket today with a departure and return within the next 330 days. So assuming you want to travel next August, you will be able to issue a ticket at some point this month (September).

There are several different strategies one can employ, but a lot really depends on the exact travel dates. If the OP wanted to share any details re: the dates on which they wish to travel U.K.- BKK and BKK - U.K., I could come up with one or more recommendations.

Assuming a stay, in Thailand of up to 30 days, it might easiest and simplest to wait until October or November - inside the 330 day window for the return - to purchase?

Edited by lomatopo

Thanks all for the input.

Approx date are 16th - 30th August. It is for a wedding, so some people may vary, but them's the basic dates.

No problem with people having to wait, it would just be good to be able to guide those who have never been this way before and want to book as soon as they can. We will also make sure people know they won't necessarily get the best price by booking as early as possible. Some might want to get it booked, others might want to keep an eye on deals.