Adapters Problems with American Made Vacuum.

SecretAgentMan

My adapters are burning out like crazy. I have a Rainbow vacuum which helps with my allergies. And the adapter that I brought with me from America worked for a while but then burnt out. Then I went to Robertson's and got the only adapter they carried which I hope would be of best quality and now the vacuum motor sounds like it is running too fast and is in danger of burning out. I don't want to burn out the motor. Rainbow Vacs are expensive. I use a surge protector. Any help on this subject is appreciated.

Edited by SecretAgentMan

In addition to an adaptor you probably need a step down transformer. Normal Thai electric outlets are approx. 240V. Normal US made electrical appliances are approx. 120V.

i'm sure he brought a "transformer" instead of an "adaptor". plug/socket adaptors do not "burn out".

In addition to an adaptor you probably need a step down transformer. Normal Thai electric outlets are approx. 240V. Normal US made electrical appliances are approx. 120V.

i'm sure he brought a "transformer" instead of an "adaptor". plug/socket adaptors do not "burn out".

Where can I find the right thing? There was definitely a burning smell. What does these transformers or adaptors look like? Can you give me a link? Where can I get them in CM? Edited by SecretAgentMan

I would love to get something that worked. What is a step down transformer?. Where do I get one? If I can get a picture it will help a Thai person to find it.

Its basically a 100lb lead weight. Other that that, it takes the local 240V electric in and puts it back out at 120V so your appliances from the US can run without burning out. Take a look at the back of the vacuum or maybe on the adapter. What are the voltage ratings? Does is say 120V? 240V? 120V - 240V?

Its basically a 100lb lead weight. Other that that, it takes the local 240V electric in and puts it back out at 120V so your appliances from the US can run without burning out. Take a look at the back of the vacuum or maybe on the adapter. What are the voltage ratings? Does is say 120V? 240V? 120V - 240V?

On the one I brought from America that burnt out.... it says, "Dual wattage converter. Converts 220/240V AC 110/120V AC. And it has a hi and lo setting. I am also seeing it says it has a REPLACEABLE FUSE. 259V,12A.

Maybe I can get another fuse! Home Pro?

The other is from Robertson's and it says..... " Foreign Electricity Converter 70 watt. 220V -110V 110V -220V. It goes both ways. And I see the switch is in the wrong place! Duh? Maybe why the vac seems to run too high? Let me give it a try

Edited by SecretAgentMan

U better get a step down transformer quick!!

Hope u didn't burn out motor already...

70 watt converter is no way enough for a vacuum...

Look up ohms law...

How many amps does the vacuum pull?

I would bet u need at least a 300 watt step down tranformer....

But might b too late already if u smelled the vacuum cooking... Or was it the 70 watt converter cooked??

It is not just about the transformer voltage it is also about the amount of power, You got a 70 watt transformer at Robinsons, how many watts does the vac use? Probably more.

There is also the issue of continuous use or short term intermittent use. The vac would be continuous use, short term use would be like running an electric razor for a few minutes. So you need a continuous use transformer.

Before buying another transformer, check the vac to be sure it is not fried.

U better get a step down transformer quick!!

Hope u didn't burn out motor already...

70 watt converter is no way enough for a vacuum...

Look up ohms law...

How many amps does the vacuum pull?

I would bet u need at least a 300 watt step down tranformer....

But might b too late already if u smelled the vacuum cooking... Or was it the 70 watt converter cooked??

It was the first converter that cooked. It still smells funny. When I got the second I could hear the vac running to high. I shut it off after no more than a few minutes of use.

It is not just about the transformer voltage it is also about the amount of power, You got a 70 watt transformer at Robinsons, how many watts does the vac use? Probably more.

There is also the issue of continuous use or short term intermittent use. The vac would be continuous use, short term use would be like running an electric razor for a few minutes. So you need a continuous use transformer.

Before buying another transformer, check the vac to be sure it is not fried.

Ok where can I get one? Make sense. Yes I now see the wattage is a problem. The converter that fried and I got from the US though China made had a range up to 1600 watts. But I think the fuse blew on that. Thx for the info. The wattage is way low on the replacement. The vacuum is about 1500 watts. Edited by SecretAgentMan

Voltage x amps = wattage

220 Thai x 5amps I'm guessing = 1100 watts

I bought a 900 watt one ( boat anchor) at amorn

Use it for many motor things I brought over.

And I don't run them continuous

Thx this is info I can really use!!! Still kind of low for the vacuum but I have problems with other motor things. Is boat anchor the brand? And I am not familiar with the Store or Location called Amorn.

Before buying another transformer, check the vac to be sure it is not fried.[/quote

Yes I see. No vacuum not fried. Less than 60 seconds of use. I could tell it was running to high.

The other adapter is rated for 1600 watts but fuse blew i believe. I will try to get another fuse but I am now getting good info and seeing what my problem is and what I need. But just not where to get it.

Edited by SecretAgentMan

Fuses usually do not smell much when they go out so don't bet on that being the problem.

Was the transformer plugged in and switched for step up or step down when you tried it?

Amon has several branches. Google to find the one nearest you.

Taking it that this vacuum uses an induction motor and not a commutated motor. an induction motors speed is indirect relation to the frequency of the supply. As this came from the U.S. it will be for 60hz, here it is 50hz. This means that motor will running a 5/6ths its rated speed. This will reduce the rated power output from the motor, reduce any cooling effect from its fan and it will probably be taking more current to achieve it.

Taking it that this vacuum uses an induction motor and not a commutated motor. an induction motors speed is indirect relation to the frequency of the supply. As this came from the U.S. it will be for 60hz, here it is 50hz. This means that motor will running a 5/6ths its rated speed. This will reduce the rated power output from the motor, reduce any cooling effect from its fan and it will probably be taking more current to achieve it.

Interesting, thanks. Can a transformer change the frequency or is that unlikely or not possible?

Amorn sell stepdown transformers, they are in Big C on Hangdong Road and Big C extra, the old Carrefour place. Their main store is in Icon Square on the northwestern side of the moat. As it is likely taking more than the stated current buy one with some spare capacity but do not expect the vacuum to perform the same as in the states.

Interesting, thanks. Can a transformer change the frequency or is that unlikely or not possible?

No it cannot, a transformer can only change the voltage. As an example, a 2 pole motor on 60Hz will have a rated speed of 3600rpm, 60 x 60, simple. The same motor on 50Hz will be 60 x 50, 3000RPM. If the motor requires cooling with its own fan then this is not going to give the same effect. Some motors are designed to operate on 50 or 60Hz and will have two sets of performance figures, others however are not. You can change the frequency by changing the supply to DC then passing it through an inverter to give whatever frequency you like. This is used on soft start systems where the motor is started slowly and is ramped up. Hope that helps.

Amorn sell stepdown transformers, they are in Big C on Hangdong Road and Big C extra, the old Carrefour place. Their main store is in Icon Square on the northwestern side of the moat. As it is likely taking more than the stated current buy one with some spare capacity but do not expect the vacuum to perform the same as in the states.

Thx Dellboy.

Edited by SecretAgentMan

I believe he is using a 'travel adapter' which sometimes is a misused term for travel converter which is not a good choice for his device. They operate by chopping the ac via a solid state switch and with motor (reactive) loads can cause a big problem for the motor and/or the converter. He needs a proper 220:110 step down transformer. Of course now we have the issue of 50Hz vs 60Hz so the motor will run slower and hotter assuming an AC motor is in use.

The converter simply uses a solid-state switch inside to chop off part of the input 220V sinusoidal waveform causing a highly distorted output waveform which is far from an 110V sinusoidal AC. A completely resistive appliance (such as travel iron or water heater) will work just fine regardless of different voltage waveform. But, do not attempt to use an an electronic appliance such as laptop, battery charger, DVD player or curling iron with this distorted 220V waveform, it will damage the item and the converter.

Travel Voltage Converter Guide

I believe he is using a 'travel adapter' which sometimes is a misused term for travel converter which is not a good choice for his device. They operate by chopping the ac via a solid state switch and with motor (reactive) loads can cause a big problem for the motor and/or the converter. He needs a proper 220:110 step down transformer. Of course now we have the issue of 50Hz vs 60Hz so the motor will run slower and hotter assuming an AC motor is in use.

The converter simply uses a solid-state switch inside to chop off part of the input 220V sinusoidal waveform causing a highly distorted output waveform which is far from an 110V sinusoidal AC. A completely resistive appliance (such as travel iron or water heater) will work just fine regardless of different voltage waveform. But, do not attempt to use an an electronic appliance such as laptop, battery charger, DVD player or curling iron with this distorted 220V waveform, it will damage the item and the converter.

Travel Voltage Converter Guide

Wow!! Info I was looking for!!

Thx.

Global House has just started selling serious transformers in all sorts of sizes up to about 30A if I remember rightly. Worth a look, but on the other hand, if it's pretty much just for the one appliance it's probably better to simply buy a new one and re-sell it when/if you leave the country.

Rainbow has a great web site www.rainbowsystem.com/ , manuals, parts lists also chat, If you look on the lable on the main unit you have it will tell you how many watts the vacuum draws and the voltage,

Watts are watts at any voltage, amps however are different.

Get a transformer that is ><20% highte wattage than needed,

Nothing fance is needed just a step down transformer from 110 to 220.

Cooling is sometimes a proplem with 60hz motors operating on 50hz you need to keep the filter and any vents clean to improve the air flow, also running the unit for shorter times will also help.

Rainbow has a great web site www.rainbowsystem.com/ , manuals, parts lists also chat, If you look on the lable on the main unit you have it will tell you how many watts the vacuum draws and the voltage,

Cooling is sometimes a proplem with 60hz motors operating on 50hz you need to keep the filter and any vents clean to improve the air flow, also running the unit for shorter times will also help.

make that a step-down from 220 to 110 please wai2.gif

Rainbow has a great web site www.rainbowsystem.com/‎ , manuals, parts lists also chat, If you look on the lable on the main unit you have it will tell you how many watts the vacuum draws and the voltage,

make that a step-down from 220 to 110 please wai2.gif

Yes. Understood.

Rainbow has a great web site www.rainbowsystem.com/‎ , manuals, parts lists also chat, If you look on the lable on the main unit you have it will tell you how many watts the vacuum draws and the voltage,

Problem I believe is solved. Thx. I couldn't find wattage info on main unit or Rainbowsystems even in the owners manual of my specific model. But good call Farang I got reasonably reliable info (I guess) on a rainbow fan blog. Lets just say the wattage is 1000-1500. I got a 2000 watt step down from Amorn Electronics which is directly across the street of the moat's North side and westerly nearer Kad Suan Kaew shopping mall. Amorn is in a line of shops in what is called Icon Square. Icon Square is not very big. It just has a grand name. (FYI for newbies that might see this post in the archives and has similar problems.) I didn't go to Global House as Amorn was most convenient for me to get to. Edited by SecretAgentMan