Best Chinese Restaurant in Chiang Mai? For SiChuan. For BeiJing. No GuangDong This Time, Pls.

OldChinaHam

What is the single Chinese restaurant you would keep in Chiang Mai if you could have only one?

(Or, only two if you can have 1 for authentic Sichuan (**** Chinese language removed****) food, and one for authentic Beijing (****Chinese language removed****) food. (also, 1 for the cheapest best all around Chinese food.))

Sorry, that makes 3:

1 Sichuan

1 Beijing

1 Best of the Cheap Chinese Restaurants

Please keep suggestions limited to authentic beaneries, those that cook food the same as you would normally find it in these two provinces.

Thank you.

I think after 5 months of wonderful Thai food, I should have a meal from China.

***(Notice, I am stating I still have not had any fast food glop since I arrived in Thailand. And I do not plan to. Leave the glop to the Americans of America. The Americans here do not need to eat glop anymore.)

****(Notice, I reversed the names above. Just to see if you are awake. And because it is a Saturday morning, so it is my task to keep you amused, I suppose.)

OldChinaHam (Now Out of My Can)

Edited by metisdead
Chinese language removed. This is an English language forum, English is the only acceptable language, except in the Thai language forum where Thai language is allowed.
  • Like 1

Then, what you are saying, so far, is that there are no good Chinese restaurants in Chiang Mai?

Actually, I suspect this might be true since I have a number of Chinese friends who recently arrived and even they do not seem to eat in Chinese restaurants here.

And, I do not absolutely need to have Chinese food while here, but it sure would have been nice to know of just one that had good authentic Chinese food.

I bet there is at least one Chiang Mai restaurant which serves up a mean bowl of Dan-Dan mian, if someone would just tell me where.

What you say about Chinese food in America is true. In California and in New York, it is easy to get Chinese food that is the same, sometimes better, than what you might find in Beijing or Chengdu or Chongqing.

Glop? Beef Glop is my word for what the big chains use to make hamburgers and other meat products. It is some type of goo or something made from otherwise inedible parts of the cow. There was some discussion about this product in the news recently in many countries. There is no need, as you say, for Americans to eat glop in Thailand, or in America, but Americans love the glop at McD. Here in Chiang Mai, Thailand, McD is no where in sight, very often. So this is a good thing. If you like glop, then more power to you. I will be the last one to object to your eating it.

Then, what you are saying, so far, is that there are no good Chinese restaurants in Chiang Mai?

Actually, I suspect this might be true since I have a number of Chinese friends who recently arrived and even they do not seem to eat in Chinese restaurants here.

And, I do not absolutely need to have Chinese food while here, but it sure would have been nice to know of just one that had good authentic Chinese food.

I bet there is at least one Chiang Mai restaurant which serves up a mean bowl of Dan-Dan mian, if someone would just tell me where.

What you say about Chinese food in America is true. In California and in New York, it is easy to get Chinese food that is the same, sometimes better, than what you might find in Beijing or Chengdu or Chongqing.

Glop? Beef Glop is my word for what the big chains use to make hamburgers and other meat products. It is some type of goo or something made from otherwise inedible parts of the cow. There was some discussion about this product in the news recently in many countries. There is no need, as you say, for Americans to eat glop in Thailand, or in America, but Americans love the glop at McD. Here in Chiang Mai, Thailand, McD is no where in sight, very often. So this is a good thing. If you like glop, then more power to you. I will be the last one to object to your eating it.

You have been led down the trail of misdirection. In America the beef in the McD is of the highest quality. I really can't imagine the company changing their standards here. Of course high quality beef here could be a different quality. It would still be quality beef.

Funny you should mention Chinese food I have been wondering where their was a restaurant with War Won Ton soup. Or is that just some Canadian glob.

• Like 1

You have been led down the trail of misdirection. In America the beef in the McD is of the highest quality. I really can't imagine the company changing their standards here. Of course high quality beef here could be a different quality. It would still be quality beef.

Funny you should mention Chinese food I have been wondering where their was a restaurant with War Won Ton soup. Or is that just some Canadian glob.

McDonalds until very recently (when outed) used beef trimmings treated with Ammonia Hydroxide in their burgers.

• Like 1

FYI: HunDunTang, or "war ton soup" as you refer to it, is not Canadian glob, or glop.

The glop I was referring to is the beef material which is extracted and then mixed with some sort of chemical to kill bacteria, then pressed and shaped, and then sold as beef patties. Be my guest if you think it is of high enough quality to meet your meat standards. Each to his own glop, I suppose.

I've never found a Chinese restaurant here that I thought was any good.

Fujian?

Don't know it. Where is it? Sounds Japanese? But I'll try it.

Fujian is a province.

Also a type of Chinese cuisine.

Most of what people like to eat in Taiwan is FujianCai

But I do not like it, if not more spicy. I do not like soup dishes, or more bland flavoring to the food.

Gimme some Hunan/Sichuan or Beijing, any old day.

I think the poster mean the "Fujian Restaurant" in the Mandarin Dara Devi Hotel? The chef is from Hong Kong, I eat there often and I think they don't lie to me.

Fujian?

Don't know it. Where is it? Sounds Japanese? But I'll try it.

Fujian is a province.

Also a type of Chinese cuisine.

Most of what people like to eat in Taiwan is FujianCai

But I do not like it, if not more spicy. I do not like soup dishes, or more bland flavoring to the food.

Gimme some Hunan/Sichuan or Beijing, any old day.

There are a few that fit into the "Good for Thailand " category (along with one or two pizza, hamburger,Mexican and sushi places). IMO, there are none that would be considered more than mediocre in Hong Kong, Singapore or San Francisco.

However, I have never tried the Fujian restaurant in the Dara Devi Hotel.

• Like 2

I think the poster mean the "Fujian Restaurant" in the Mandarin Dara Devi Hotel? The chef is from Hong Kong, I eat there often and I think they don't lie to me.

The menu looks superb! Thanks for the recommendation. Will have to save up for a meal there though.whistling.gif

I love the Chinese food in Hat Yai. I don't know what the style is called but it is NOT Chinese-style Thai food like you find here. We sometimes go to visit the g/f's family there for Chinese New Year. Her uncle takes us out every night to somewhere different and it is always the real thing. The bird's nest soup which I see is 2500 Baht per bowl at Fujian is more in the 1100 Baht per bowl range in Hat Yai.

Of course coming from California I am partial to Cantonese cuisine which I have never seen here. Maybe in Bangkok? Over the years I have less and less desire to spend more than a day in Bangkok when I absolutely have to.

• Like 1

Have you tried Fujian restaurant? (Dara Devi Hotel) chef is Chinese! Meal is superb!

Location please?

It's in the Hotel, the Mandarin Oriental Dara Devi Hotel.

For about 60 bath for each bamboo container dim sum (as I remember) at a 5 star hotel I think the price ain't too bad at all. (Check out the pretty toilet too!)

The menu looks superb! Thanks for the recommendation. Will have to save up for a meal there though.whistling.gif

May I beg to not totally agree?

Please notice that on the menu you link, it clearly states that the prices per dish actually are suitable for 2 - 4.

So I suppose that if you had 4 people, and then 4 of these dishes, plus some rice and a soup, then it would actually be rather reasonable.

300 Baht times 4 dishes is 1200 Baht

250 For a soup.

160 For the rice.

Say 1600 Baht divided 4 ways is 400 Baht for a really nice meal.

Sounds pretty low cost to me.

I just do not know if I would like the food if it really is FujianCai.

If you do have a larger budget, then go for one of dem suckling pigs.

That is what I would do.

Anyone here who is Chinese and wants to share a meal there?

Please notice that on the menu you link, it clearly states that the prices per dish actually are suitable for 2 - 4.

So I suppose that if you had 4 people, and then 4 of these dishes, plus some rice and a soup, then it would actually be rather reasonable.

250 For a soup.

160 For the rice.

That is what I would do.

Your topics suck. You post about tea and I ask where I can find licorice tea.

Answer Zip, Nada No where.

Now you post about Chinese food I ask where you can get War won ton

Answer Zip, Nada No where.sad.png

• Like 1

250 For a soup.

160 For the rice.

That is what I would do.

Waddaya want for free advice, anyway?

Do you think I just sit around here, all day long, waiting to answer questions like I am God?

No.

I had never heard of licorice tea until you mentioned it. I don't even like licorice it makes my nose itch or something.

And if you want HunDunTang, or as you say War won ton, it is the same thing even though you misspelled it, I would say you can find this simple thing in almost any Chinese restaurant under the sun. These are just small pieces of rolled dough, with a smear of pork or fish paste, then wrapped up and dumped into some broth to cook, then serve. Add some leeks for flavoring if you are of that persuasion.

I am very sorry I cannot help you further, and I am sorry that my topics suck.

Edited by OldChinaHam

250 For a soup.

160 For the rice.

That is what I would do.

Waddaya want for free advice, anyway?

Do you think I just sit around here, all day long, waiting to answer questions like I am God?

No.

I had never heard of licorice tea until you mentioned it. I don't even like licorice it makes my nose itch or something.

And if you want HunDunTang, or as you say War won ton, it is the same thing even though you misspelled it, I would say you can find this simple thing in almost any Chinese restaurant under the sun. These are just small pieces of rolled dough, with a smear of pork or fish paste, then wrapped up and dumped into some broth to cook, then serve. Add some leeks for flavoring if you are of that persuasion.

I am very sorry I cannot help you further, and I am sorry that my topics suck.

Never tried that soup you mentioned. I guess War Won Ton is just Canadian glop. Or I don't know the real name of it. A meal in it's self and I am a big eater. The shrimp in it are not the tiny ones you find in a can they are about a inch and a half in diameter. If I had them at home I would barbeque them. Not sure what the seasoning is but it is not leaks.

War or Wor wonton soup with the works ...

Canadian and American in old style Cantonese places.

Not "authentic".

You won't find in Thailand.

Comfort food. Nothing wrong with it!

I could go for a bowl right now. licklips.gif

post-37101-0-01507500-1378038234_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Not "authentic".

attachicon.gifwar-wonton-soup.jpg

Thank you, sir, for your clarification. I have always known of HunDun Soup, which is meat "dumplings" cooked in broth. Actually, there is usually not much meat or fish paste used, it is the flour based dough that provides the nutrients and calories, and the filling is mainly for flavoring. Very good, and it will not put on the weight. It is a soup for birds, light eaters, and similar to birds nest soup in that it is just about as filling.

On the other hand, this soup dish you show here, looks like it was originally designed to fortify the Chinese working on the railroads and mining and tough backbreaking construction work in the 1840s, or something.

Chinatwn%24ross-alley-1898.jpg

There is no way these guys would have been satisfied with authentic and traditional HunDun Soup.

Far better to have the American/Canadian soup you show in the image you post.

Yes, no doubt.

It does look delicious.

This reminds us just how great the Chinese cooks truly were and are.

They can adapt anything that walks or crawls, all but the lungs, to make it a meal fit for the gods.

I am just glad I chose Asia instead of choosing Europe,

When I decided to follow my stomach,

When I decided to leave the US.

And this is also why I would love to find even a traditional Sichuan Noodle shop, or beanerie selling traditional noodles like DanDan Mian, or MaPuo DouFu, in wonderful Chiang Mai.

Sometimes, when you have not had Chinese food in months, even though you have been feasting on glorious food in Thailand, enraptured by these spicy treats for your taste buds,

Sometimes you just gotta have your Chinese Food Fix.

You know what I mean?

Edited by OldChinaHam

Not "authentic".

I could go for a bowl right now. Posted Image

Posted Imagewar-wonton-soup.jpg

Thank you, sir, for your clarification. I have always known of HunDun Soup, which is meat "dumplings" cooked in broth. Actually, there is usually not much meat or fish paste used, it is the flour based dough that provides the nutrients and calories, and the filling is mainly for flavoring. Very good, and it will not put on the weight. It is a soup for birds, light eaters, and similar to birds nest soup in that it is just about as filling.

On the other hand, this soup dish you show here, looks like it was originally designed to fortify the Chinese working on the railroads and mining and tough backbreaking construction work in the 1840s, or something.

Posted Image

There is no way these guys would have been satisfied with authentic and traditional HunDun Soup.

Far better to have the American/Canadian soup you show in the image you post.

Yes, no doubt.

It does look delicious.

This reminds us just how great the Chinese cooks truly were and are.

They can adapt anything that walks or crawls, all but the lungs, to make it a meal fit for the gods.

I am just glad I chose Asia instead of choosing Europe,

When I decided to follow my stomach,

When I decided to leave the US.

And this is also why I would love to find even a traditional Sichuan Noodle shop, or beanerie selling traditional noodles like DanDan Mian, or MaPuo DouFu, in wonderful Chiang Mai.

Sometimes, when you have not had Chinese food in months, even though you have been feasting on glorious food in Thailand, enraptured by these spicy treats for your taste buds,

Sometimes you just gotta have your Chinese Food Fix.

You know what I mean?

Heading to KL in 10 days to get my fix of these good :-))) yummy

Fujian at Dhara Devi gets my vote presentation and price it is just value for money for great food in a great setting

• Like 1

Not "authentic".

attachicon.gifwar-wonton-soup.jpg

You can get that soup all over thailand including CNX.

Its called 'giew', all the bahmee (yellow egg noodle) vendors usually have it, although shrimp is harder to find, but there is a place on the south side of the moat that has it with shrimp. The red barbecue pork is called 'moo dang'...for large size just say - 'peesaid'.....for a dry one with no soup, say 'haang'...7-11 has it in the ready meal section.

The Taiwanese restaurant next to Nakornping condo has good dumplings, and a dry noodle dish similar to mapo doufu....7-11 also has an instant noodle bowl that is similar to dandan mian, the spicy soup version. Its the one of the biggest instant noodle bowls at 7-11 ( i think its called -Little chef), but the actual noodles are not authentic, the sauce/flavor packet is an MRE type that is thick liquid with small chunks of braised beef. VERY SPICY.

Edited by KRS1

I know what you mean. Some Thai (perhaps Chinese Thai influence) soups are similar. But an American-Canadian-Cantonese style wor won ton is different than that. The broth is different. Some of the common ingredients are different. You'd know that if you had eaten both. Chinese Thai is not the same thing as American Chinese, etc. Many countries have variations of Chinese food. Personally I can live without American Chinese wor wonton but for someone who really needs it, the Thai style similar soups might be close but nowhere near a cigar.

A restaurant COULD rather easily do this American/Canadian/Chinese dish in Thailand. Just not aware of any who do that and don't think there would be a big demand anyway.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1