Villa Market Downsizes

BugJackBaron

Yes folks, Villa Market in The Avenue Shopping Centre has become more compact. Gone is the

unprofitable 24 hour restaurant but most of the imports seem to still be there, albeit in a smaller space.

No great surprise I guess.

Not sure if it's still open 24 hours.

• Like 1

Really?

I thought they just rearranged the layout.

If anything, my impression is they had expanded their floor space for the store part, not reduced it ...

Yes, they've upsized their floor space by quite a bit. They've taken over the area previously used by the restaurant and side shops.

Well, actually the interior work its not complete the last time I checked(last week) so maybe they are expanding./.

. Some of the shops on the boundary are gone so it felt smaller

Did you not notice the restaurant was gone?

It's bigger now, but their stock hasn't changed. Right now it's looking quite messy compared to before.

• Like 1

It's disorienting for regulars now. I guess we'll cope.

Yeah, it's a real pain finding what you want now. I had to walk up and down the isles many times to find applesauce yesterday. Eventually I found someone who understood what applesauce is - the manager.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

So far I haven't noticed any more or less stock, just an odd rearrangement of everything. It's always been the case that sometimes they have stuff, and sometimes they don't. Not only at Villa. For example sometimes they have Thai grown fresh jalapeno peppers and sometimes not.

Went there about a year ago, with the idea that I hadn't been for about 2 years. Very quickly I realised why. The prices are ridiculous.

the prices are indeed ridiculous. but where, except in Villa Market, can you buy Clausen or Vlasic pickled gherkins? the answer is "nowhere!", even if you are willing to pay a ridiculous price.

• Like 1

I like Villa but its my experience with a weekly supply of groceries the total cost is at least 25 %+ more expensive compared to the likes of TOPS or Friendship. Just my own experience, others may find differently.

Believe it or not, I've come across quite a few items that are cheaper than all the other stores.... but the benefit of Villa is that you can get items there not available anywhere else, which also makes it impossible to compare value.

• Like 2

After I discovered Friendship I stopped doing any shopping at Villa Market , you will save about 20 to 30% on most imported food. Fruits and vegetable much cheaper too.

LOL... "discovered Frienship"? Hasn't it been there forever?

Actually their price structure is quite mixed. Some items outrageous and not competitive to local competition, and some priced similar to other places. You can only know that by shopping around.

a couple of years ago i was downtown and the Mrs phoned asking me to buy some potatoes. Villa Market was convenient and i bought some. later the Mrs asked me why i removed the gold bullion and the precious stones from the shopping bag which came with the 'taters'.

reason: she found the cashier's slip in the bag and lectured me that for the equivalent amount she could have bought potatoes in Makro or Tesco lasting us for a month ermm.gif

• Like 1

I like Villa but its my experience with a weekly supply of groceries the total cost is at least 25 %+ more expensive compared to the likes of TOPS or Friendship. Just my own experience, others may find differently.

They hope people will do that! Myself I only cherry pick a few items there. I would never consider shopping there exclusively.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Believe it or not, I've come across quite a few items that are cheaper than all the other stores.... but the benefit of Villa is that you can get items there not available anywhere else, which also makes it impossible to compare value.

Agreed. This happened last spring. Out of 7 items I bought at Villa, four were common to Big C. I took the Villa receipt and compared the prices at Big C. All four were cheaper at Villa not by a baht or two, but by 5-10-15 baht/unit. All import items. Also only Villa has Hellmans mayo and Healthy Mate peanut butter -- no sugar, no salt, no additives.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Agreed. This happened last spring. Out of 7 items I bought at Villa, four were common to Big C. I took the Villa receipt and compared the prices at Big C. All four were cheaper at Villa not by a baht or two, but by 5-10-15 baht/unit. All import items. Also only Villa has Hellmans mayo and Healthy Mate peanut butter -- no sugar, no salt, no additives.

The problem is there's no guarantee they'll restock a special item once it has been sold out.

The problem is there's no guarantee they'll restock a special item once it has been sold out.

Exactly, restock is the real problem. They finally have something that you have been waiting for, it will be there till they sell out, and then it will be forever (if ever) until they have it again. A real pain to have to go to Villa just to see if they have it back.

Also tempting to take as much as you can carry to insure that you got yours before it disappears again

• Like 1

That's not only a problem at Villa.

There's a product (which I won't mention) that is sold out for some time now at three different grocery brands here. People are hoarding it. Or one person. Of course when I see it next time, I will hoard it. What choice?

• Like 2