Is it possible to keep your mobile number when switching carriers?

telstrareg

No doubt this has been covered but I failed to find any topics.

Currently I'm on DTAC prepaid. Thinking of going to Truemove.

Yes. It's called number porting. You tell Dtac you want to change. Then contact True and tell them. Some forms to fill in then after about 3 weeks it changes. You may be without a phone for 24 hours or so.

Why are you thinking of changing?

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

I just finished moving from DTAC, I liked AIS but in my area the signal was poor.

The number is not in the sim as the previous post thought . The sim has an id (IMEI) number which is registered to the service provider and they associate it with your number.

Numbers are controlled by a jointly held company called the clearing house, when you apply to change you file the application with the carrier you wish to transfer to, True in your case, it takes a few days ( They told me average 3 working Days) and then your old number works on the new carrier.

Normally when you apply you will be given a new sim card. Just before the number is transferred you will get an sms saying carrier will change shortly, mine was overnight. Went to bed the old carrier was working and in the morning when I got up, I switched the sim and the transfer was complete. It was pretty easy for me.

One important thing, I found that some of the carriers had some really great deals, much better than the ones advertised

specially for people changing networks. I ended up saving a lot.

Edited by worldtraveller
  • Like 1

The process is called Mobile Number Portability (MNP) and is fairly common these days.

If you are porting from DTAC to True, first of all go to a DTAC office and make sure the SIM is properly registered to your name with your current passport number. Then go to a True office and tell them you want to MNP from DTAC. True will handle it all from there after you complete an MNP form. (In my case, I went to the True office at Fortune Tower and they filled out the form for me.) They gave me a True SIM and told me to wait for the phone to show "no service" (which meant DTAC had cancelled my service) and then to turn off the phone, insert the True SIM and restart the phone. That happened within 72 hours.

Here's the TrueMove-H web page about MNP: http://truemoveh.digitalcampaignsite.com/v2/en/mnp_whatis.aspx

I think the process is running a bit more smoothly now, and the fee was dropped from 99 baht to 29 baht. Early on, the process had a 50% failure rate.

As long as you have had your number for 90 days or more, and you are the registered (passport, Thai ID) owner, it should go smoothly.

You will lose any remaining pre-paid balance.

Tens of thousands of ports are happening each day as service providers move customers to their new 2100 MHz subsidiaries - DTAC moved close to a million customers through the MNP clearinghouse in August, to their new TriNet subsidiary.

Not sure what may happen in two weeks when TrueMove's 1800 MHz GSM concession ends in two weeks? They have 17 million customers, most of whom do not have 2100 MHz 3G compatible phones. Nothing like waiting until the last minute. But all of these customers will, at some point, have to be ported out/in, which might create a back-log?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/TrueMove-DPC-clients-can-use-service-after-concess-30210125.html

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/TrueMove-bids-to-keep-17m-clients-after-concession-30211181.html

post-9615-0-52846300-1378015143_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

Seriously, you lose any remaining credit? That's a bit of thievery.

Yes, if you change from one service provider to another, as the OP plans to do. You do not lose it if you port within, say from AIS/One-2-Call to AWN, or DTAC/Happy to TriNet.

My sense is that most customers plan their change and allow their balance to approach zero, and/or they transfer any remaining balance to a friend/family member who is still with the "old" service provider. I did the latter when I ported from One-2-Call to Happy. Quite easy to do and simple enough to avoid any "thievery".

For post-paid customers you need to be paid in full.

I think the process is running a bit more smoothly now, and the fee was dropped from 99 baht to 29 baht. Early on, the process had a 50% failure rate.

As long as you have had your number for 90 days or more, and you are the registered (passport, Thai ID) owner, it should go smoothly.

You will lose any remaining pre-paid balance.

Tens of thousands of ports are happening each day as service providers move customers to their new 2100 MHz subsidiaries - DTAC moved close to a million customers through the MNP clearinghouse in August, to their new TriNet subsidiary.

Not sure what may happen in two weeks when TrueMove's 1800 MHz GSM concession ends in two weeks? They have 17 million customers, most of whom do not have 2100 MHz 3G compatible phones. Nothing like waiting until the last minute. But all of these customers will, at some point, have to be ported out/in, which might create a back-log?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/TrueMove-DPC-clients-can-use-service-after-concess-30210125.html

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/TrueMove-bids-to-keep-17m-clients-after-concession-30211181.html

True just stopped working, I guess.

My wif's number does not work any more, had this number for years, wellknown by friends & family.

After contact with True, next year september she will get a better phone, half price, and the number will work again.

NEXT YEAR?????????

Something like this can only happen in Thailand!

Just stop the service, without any message?

Oh well, always paid the bill by internet banking.

Can not do that either.

But she wants her number!!!!!!!

Anybody got any idea?

TrueMove? Or TrueMove H?

Pre-paid? Or Post-paid?

My best guesses, based on no information, is that your wife had a pre-paid SIM, which for whatever reasons lapsed.

I would recommend contacting TrueMove to see what your options may be.

As of today, my best guess is that TrueMove will be allowed to continue to provide service to their 17 million GSM1800 customers after 15 Sep. and until such time as someone comes up with a plan. Maybe CAT will take over those customers? This spectrum was supposed to be returned to the NBTC for potential auction, hopefully for LTE, but that may not happen anytime soon?

Edited by lomatopo

The number is not in the sim as the previous post thought . The sim has an id (IMEI) number which is registered to the service provider and they associate it with your number.

No it isn't, the IMEI is a unique number that identifies your hardware (Phone, Dongle, etc.).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Mobile_Station_Equipment_Identity

You're confusing it with the IMSI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMSI

i did it a few years ago

i wanted to keep my number and i moved from AIS pay as you go to a True contract

True in Siracha (HO) said apparently i was the 11th person in Thailand to apply to do it

took about 2 months as no-one knew what to do

i imagine its not nearly so complicated now

My wife just went to transfer her service/phone number from DTAC to True Move. She's had the same number with DTAC for years, but just 30 days ago she signed a month to month service contract with DTAC for their Triple Net Service. After signing all the documents, the True Move clerk told her to go to DTAC and clear her bill and give notice of stoppage, which she did. DTAC sent her an SMS to say that her service was being discontinued. She went back to True Move to get her new sim installed and was then told by another clerk that she would not be able to port the old number because she had the service contract for DTAC Triple Net service for only 30 days and they would only forgive the service agreement after 90 days, so she had to get a new number from True Move. What a huge inconvenience since all of her friends and commercial accounts have her old number for reference. This is why I have a personal policy to never take the word of a service clerk here in Thailand until I've posed the question to at least three different clerks on different days. I never get in a hurry to get things done. Most don't have a clue what they're doing, and if they don't know the answer they will make something up just to keep from losing face, so you can never be sure if you're getting the right answer from any one person.

My wife just went to transfer her service/phone number from DTAC to True Move. She's had the same number with DTAC for years, but just 30 days ago she signed a month to month service contract with DTAC for their Triple Net Service. After signing all the documents, the True Move clerk told her to go to DTAC and clear her bill and give notice of stoppage, which she did. DTAC sent her an SMS to say that her service was being discontinued. She went back to True Move to get her new sim installed and was then told by another clerk that she would not be able to port the old number because she had the service contract for DTAC Triple Net service for only 30 days and they would only forgive the service agreement after 90 days, so she had to get a new number from True Move. What a huge inconvenience since all of her friends and commercial accounts have her old number for reference. This is why I have a personal policy to never take the word of a service clerk here in Thailand until I've posed the question to at least three different clerks on different days. I never get in a hurry to get things done. Most don't have a clue what they're doing, and if they don't know the answer they will make something up just to keep from losing face, so you can never be sure if you're getting the right answer from any one person.

Have to agree regards service "clerks," I've forgotten the number of times I've been given misinformation. It's ridiculous how little product knowledge these people have, and I'm not talking just about the telecommunications market.

Edited by Rorri

Excellent q but i have not read thread yet.

Should i even bother changing???, true sux but has 1 minute 1 baht calling plan pre pay

is there anything just as good or better with the other carriers???

please if you can, avoid true, though your results may vary

they honestly have no idea what is going on, when i call C.S., EVER!

not sure about C.S. at other carriers

just as bad???

mini rant over

• 6 months later...

The process is called Mobile Number Portability (MNP) and is fairly common these days.

If you are porting from DTAC to True, first of all go to a DTAC office and make sure the SIM is properly registered to your name with your current passport number. Then go to a True office and tell them you want to MNP from DTAC. True will handle it all from there after you complete an MNP form. (In my case, I went to the True office at Fortune Tower and they filled out the form for me.) They gave me a True SIM and told me to wait for the phone to show "no service" (which meant DTAC had cancelled my service) and then to turn off the phone, insert the True SIM and restart the phone. That happened within 72 hours.

Here's the TrueMove-H web page about MNP: http://truemoveh.digitalcampaignsite.com/v2/en/mnp_whatis.aspx

Do note it is not as headache free as it sounds or as easy as it is in the West.

I have changed before and this is what i had to do.

Firstly the change can only be applied for/done at certain locations. In my case it was Chonburi Office only, i am based in Pattaya.

Number has to be registered in your name, ie registered with passport and full name as written in Passport.

One thing to watch out for, with Dtac my name was registered as 'First name, Second name"

In passport is "Second name, First name"

When i went to True, it was a huge problem, because name did not match, explaining it was useless.

Had to go back to Dtac to change it around as True would not accept it.

Best to have a Thai speaker either with you or doing it for you, as i said they like to complicate things.

Hope my experience helps