Chinese newlywed in coma after Phuket jet-ski crash

Lite Beer

Chinese newlywed in coma after Phuket jet-ski crash
Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: What should have been a delightful time for a newlywed Chinese couple ended today in horror as the groom, Shen Baocheng, 27, was taken to hospital in a coma after the jet-ski he was riding was in collision with a parasailing speedboat off Patong Beach.

Mr Shen came to Phuket for his honeymoon with his new wife, Wen Wen, 26, and eight friends.

This morning, around 11 am, the group rented jet-skis. Soon after, the machine Mr Shen was riding was in collision with the parasailing speedboat, just off Loma Park.

The owner of the jet-ski, Sunan Thongren, seeing the smash, rushed into the sea with his staff and pulled the unconscious Mr Shen from the water.

Mr Shen was taken to Patong Hospital and then, because of the severity of his condition, was transferred to Phuket International Hospital where he remains in a coma.

Pol Lt Thawatchai Srimai of Kathu Police said officials are expected to call a meeting soon to discuss who will pay damages to whom.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-newlywed-in-coma-after-phuket-jet-ski-crash-41669.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-08-31

Pol Lt Thawatchai Srimai of Kathu Police said officials are expected to call a meeting soon to discuss who will pay damages to whom.

A tragic story, and hope Mr. Shen fully recovers.

I do believe Mr. Shen and his new bride will be paying all the damages in this case. I am not sure what was going through his mind when he decided to ride his jet ski into close proximity of large boats pulling people around with parachutes on. never a good idea, in any country.

• Like 1

".....to discuss who will pay damages to whom."

Surely both speedboat and jetski as reputable Phuket businesses should have insurance to cover this?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Are there no instructions given to people renting either Jet Skis and / or Speed boats as to where they can go ...? Isn't it logical to do this as all beaches all over the world do !!! ....??? Why are there no definite and clear boundaries for each of these activities ....? Oye!? Forgot ! I am in Thailand !

Edited by annabel
  • Like 1

We don't know the facts, we don't know if the speedboat was actually speeding at the time, or cruising out, and we certainly don't know who was to blame from the scanty report posted so far.

In saying that I was on a Jet Ski just off Patts beach and I was amazed at the speed of the boats carrying passengers in, and there was no way they were stopping for me. It was a poor mix of craft to say the least.

I agree though that the need to bring up compensation was out of order, but let's be honest, oh so typical.

I join stoneyboy on passing on my condolences and let's hope this couple do manage to get a married life together.

ps........you can be sure that the Chinese Consul for the Phuket area, Xu Mingliang will be all over this like a rash. He has been the biggest thorn in the side of the Thais in recent times and he will not miss and hit the wall with this one. If only our Embassy staff were as prepared to outright confront the Thais, Phuket would never have gotten to this point in the first place.

• Like 1

If only our Embassy staff were as prepared to outright confront the Thais, Phuket would never have gotten to this point in the first place.

Yeah right - Phuket would be a paradise today if only your embassy staff had confronted the Thais early on. To think what could have been....

• Like 1

"Pol Lt Thawatchai Srimai of Kathu Police said officials are expected to call a meeting soon to discuss who will pay damages to whom."

Phuket style.

No, Buffalo style and most are located in Phuket or Pattaya, if you like the real Thailand simple, move out!
  • Like 1

Well it seems that at least the governor has the right idea - its sad that this young couple have had to suffer like this, and I truly wish the chap well, and hope he can recover fully.

There must be better regulation, and separate areas for speed boats, jet skis and swimmers MUST be set up and properly policed. Overseas there are simple and logical rules that at the very least help to minimise the potential for such accidents, and if it can be done elsewhere, then it damned well can be done here.

Survey the areas for rocks and other underwater obstacles, set up buoys to mark the boundaries for each type of water sport, and make sure through clear signage what area is for boating, jet skiis and swimmers... its really not that difficult, but it is common sense to segregate them all.

The reason I won't be returning this year... I've had enough.

I had enough in 1992 after Interhash, decided right then not to bother going back to Phuket. Shame really as it was a great place to kick back in 1980-86.

• Like 1

"Pol Lt Thawatchai Srimai of Kathu Police said officials are expected to call a meeting soon to discuss who will pay damages to whom."

Phuket style.

Yes. Gald to see what his priorities are in this tragic incident.

Money number one in Thailand.

Disgraceful.

Edited by NamKangMan

Phuket Wan's story seems to have a bit more information than this version or the Phuket Gazette. It has a photo of the governor meeting with the victim's wife. It said he brought a fruit basket to the hospital and that the couple don't have travel insurance. It also said the boat owner and jet ski operator will cover the bills. It seems the governor doesn't want another meeting with the Chinese ambassador.

If the Chinese Ambassador is the only foreign diplomat he is going to listen to, it's possible that the Chinese will be the only tourists coming here in the future.

Everyone else is getting scammed, ripped off and extorted.

• Like 1

Phuket Wan's story seems to have a bit more information than this version or the Phuket Gazette. It has a photo of the governor meeting with the victim's wife. It said he brought a fruit basket to the hospital and that the couple don't have travel insurance. It also said the boat owner and jet ski operator will cover the bills. It seems the governor doesn't want another meeting with the Chinese ambassador.

If the Chinese Ambassador is the only foreign diplomat he is going to listen to, it's possible that the Chinese will be the only tourists coming here in the future.

Everyone else is getting scammed, ripped off and extorted.

I think the Chinese would like that.

".....to discuss who will pay damages to whom."

Surely both speedboat and jetski as reputable Phuket businesses should have insurance to cover this?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

.....our lives do not factor in any of this....only our money....and how much of it can be taken from us.....shocking......

This is not just a Thai thing, where I used to live in S Wales the weekend warriors would come towing their jetskis and speedboats and get in the way of the surfers who had a designated area. They would also be operating way too close to shore at high speeds, stupidity occurs the world over when selfish people do what they want.

If you are on a jet-ski and you hit a boat pulling a parasailer then you are dumb, you should be nowhere near it. If you were crossing its bow just before it set off you are even dumber, if you hit it after it turned sharp for the drop off you are still dumb. I really can't envisage a situation where the speedboat driver was at fault, even if he set off without looking for a fast approaching jet-ski the jet-ski should not have been there.

If you travel to a foreign country without travel insurance you are...

I actually like the fact that you can do so many things in Thailand without having to suffer some stupid intellectually demeaning health and safety course beforehand, those with common sense don't need it and will keep well away from those that have little. You can only blame one person here.

The damage will be covered by the crafts' insurance which will cover collisions and likely a small amount for injury. Genuine damage is covered by insurance.

Phuket days are numbered! there much safer places in the world, for a vacation!

on the contrary more and more tourists will come want to bet?

Maybe so, but these tourist are spending less and less baht, so, what's the point of having more tourists, who spend less money????

Phuket maybe gaining tourists, but losing money. Want to bet? smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1