Action needed on state killings

Lite Beer

EDITORIAL
Action needed on state killings
The Nation September 1, 2013 1:00 am

BANGKOK: -- Credible investigation and judicial follow-up is badly needed on many cases of people 'disappeared' in Thailand

Thailand's peace talks with the Barisan Revolusi Nasional or any other separatist groups have no chance of success if the authorities on the ground are unable to put a lid on the culture of impunity among its officials and repair the historic and current mistrust between local Malay Muslims and state agencies.

It is this resentment that feeds the separatist insurgency, generation after generation.

New York-based Human Rights Watch (HRW) was spot on when it said Thai authorities have failed to honour past pledges to resolve cases of enforced disappearance and investigate the recent spate of killings of ethnic Malay Muslims in the southern provinces.

"The government's failure to prosecute those responsible for such killings has fed a deadly cycle of reprisal attacks by alleged government forces and secessionist insurgents," HRW said in one of the two back-to-back statements.

In the past three months, at least six ethnic Malay Muslims, including some suspected insurgents, have been killed by gunmen who may be linked to state security forces.

"The killing in southern Thailand goes on but officials do little to bring those responsible to justice, especially when the victim is a Malay Muslim," Brad Adams, HRW's director for Asia, said. "The failure to prosecute these killings is widely interpreted in Muslim communities as a government attempt to cover up for state security forces and protect them from criminal responsibility."

Another statement addressed the issue of justice, or the lack thereof, for victims still missing. The statement was released on Friday to mark the International Day of the Disappeared.

It should be noted that the government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra signed the International Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance on January 9, 2012.

Unfortunately, the government has not lived up to the stated commitment and there has been no progress in the Parliament on moves to ratify this treaty.

Moreover, the Thai penal code still does not recognise enforced disappearance as a criminal offence and officials who abduct and/or murder people have little fear of being held accountable for their crimes.

The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC or 'Por Por Chor' in Thai), set up to take such cases against state officials, has received many complaints. Needless to say, little progress has been made on this front.

The delay permits the accused officials and the respective agency to arrange an out-of-court deal with a victim's family, usually through financial settlement. Exhausted by the long queue, some families simply give up on the idea of getting any justice from the state.

HRW gave an example: Nasulan Pi was last seen on January 17, 2012, at a teashop near his house in Joh Ai Rong district in Narathiwat, when two armed men in military uniform forced him into a car and drove off. His fate and whereabouts remain unknown. Nasulan is the 39th person reported "disappeared" since 2002 in connection with the government's counterinsurgency operations in the Malay-speaking South.

The Justice Peace Foundation, a well-respected Thai human rights group, has documented enforced dis?appearance cases in other parts of the country since 2011 - including 12 people from the North, five from the western region, and seven from the Northeast.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-01

I think it's naive to believe that the government are in control of that situation. The army will always do what they see fit, and there's nothing the government can do about it.

Note the highly selective date from when the convention took place. A better date would have been the day after TS took office for the first time.

Of all the allegations laid against TS, crimes against humanity should be at the top of the list. Ordering the execution without trial of people nominally involved in the drug trade was a disgrace to this nation.

they should have done it with unmanned areial drones then it would have been ok.

I think it's naive to believe that the government are in control of that situation. The army will always do what they see fit, and there's nothing the government can do about it.

Note the highly selective date from when the convention took place. A better date would have been the day after TS took office for the first time.

Of all the allegations laid against TS, crimes against humanity should be at the top of the list. Ordering the execution without trial of people nominally involved in the drug trade was a disgrace to this nation.

At the time there was 2000 plus deaths the official line was that it was drug dealers killing each other to avoid being informed on. If I remember correctly a couple of cops did appear in court charged with murder, they were bailed and I can't remember if any were actually convicted.

If I also remember correctly the head of Thailand's Human Right Commission was fully supportive of all aspects of the war on drugs. Maybe he didn't actually support deep down but knew better than to criticise Mr. T. In that respect nothing has changed as it's definitely not on to criticise his sister either.

A number of RTP were convicted for the torture and murder of a 17 year old boy. Three received the death penalty, one life in prison;.they appealed & were given bail and as far as I know have since disappeared.

http://www.humanrights.asia/news/ahrc-news/AHRC-STM-157-2012

At the time there was 2000 plus deaths the official line was that it was drug dealers killing each other to avoid being informed on. If I remember correctly a couple of cops did appear in court charged with murder, they were bailed and I can't remember if any were actually convicted.

If I also remember correctly the head of Thailand's Human Right Commission was fully supportive of all aspects of the war on drugs. Maybe he didn't actually support deep down but knew better than to criticise Mr. T. In that respect nothing has changed as it's definitely not on to criticise his sister either.

A number of RTP were convicted for the torture and murder of a 17 year old boy. Three received the death penalty, one life in prison;.they appealed & were given bail and as far as I know have since disappeared.

Thanks, grateful for the update.

The bail and disappearing angle comes as no surprise. Disgraceful isn't it ?

• Like 1

Thanks, grateful for the update.

The bail and disappearing angle comes as no surprise. Disgraceful isn't it ?

Yes, as commented in other topics the Criminal Code for bail criteria needs to be reviewed & updated - don't hold your breath!

This is the dark side of Thailand, the one TAT would not like tourists to hear about or the  Thai business council likes to ignore ,so business will invest in Thailand, this kind of disappearance,  the murders,  has been going on for eons, until this is rectified, nobody is regarded as safe in Thailand, people who speak loudly against the current Government , like the murdered millionaire , some weeks back or the human rights lawyer, a few years back, everything  becomes vague in the detail ,when DSI becomes involved , until legislation is introduced to help stamp out this type of crime and I say help stamp out state crime, because in Thailand, you have a seedy culture that extends from the top down and it is doubtful that you will ever stamp state crimes out , it's too convenient.Posted Image

The DSI are far too busy investigating the doctoring of a joke photo of Yingluck to look into a hit job murder of an opponent of the government that the red police want swept under the table

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

"It should be noted that the government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra signed the International Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance on January 9, 2012".

She showed up to have her picture taken signing something. Did she even know what she was signing? Smile and look pretty for the camera.

Perhaps, given a bit of time tonight and a creative thinking session inspired by a few bottles of exceptional red wine, Emma Thompson and Tony Bliar can put all of this into perspective as the actions of a Democratic Government whose goal is reconciliation. It should all fit well in to their speeches tomorrow.

So Yingluck's government said one thing and did another?

Who could believe it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What do you expect, they are politicians. How do it go, " if a politicians lips are moving, their are lying." whistling.gif

Yingluck is very lucky the country has a set of double standards. If they didn't the DSI would be charging her with murder.

Yingluck is in a unique position. She has a chance to end this trouble. Spend 90% of her shopping time working with the common people in the south show them not only is she the (perpetrated) Prime Minister but she is a women who cares about them.

If there is an unjustifiable killing prosecute the perpetrates. If it is justifiable do not try to cover up for the terrorist. Draw a firm honest line and stick to it.

As for the Army running it. Well now who else is there to run it. The politicians in Bangkok want no part of it. They just sit there hoping it will disappear like magic. With out the Army it would be anarchy. Remember Malaysia doesn't want those provinces.

This is mainly from memory so I can't guarantee 100% accuracy.

During Thaksin's drug war there was a sting operation that went wrong in the middle of Bangkok. The target apparently got wind of the sting and drove off with his child in the back seat. The police fired many shots at the car, missing the target but killing the young boy. The wife was captured as far as I know but the target escaped and has never been apprehended.

The boy's name was Nong Fluke and the police were charged with manslaughter or murder. Recently the case was closed when the uncle dropped charges against the police having received payment of B1m.

Standard police 'justice' which became extra-judicial murder during that black period. Only a few cases have come to trial - the one mentioned above in Kalasin where the convicted police were given bail the most notable.

The defence of the war was that 'the people approved' despite not having been consulted. The vast majority of victims' relatives were too scared of repercussions to come forward with evidence of scores being settled rather than drug kingpins being targeted.

Since there is little evidence of justice in so many cases that are reported, what chance of justice for people who the military have 'taken'? Thailand is simply not a nation that stands for justice and along with corruption, its citizens seem not to be bothered.

Thailand is an apathetic nation that is neither 'free', democratic, or just but rather xenophobic, corrupt and selfish in the extreme.

• Like 2

I was in Chiang Mai at the time period of the " war on drug dealers". I personally witnessed one of the killings,

and it certainly was an off duty policeman who did the killing. And it was a straight out execution........

All the Thai people know this occurs on a regular basis. Perhaps that is why the they fear the police. :-)

• Like 2

Seem to be learning from the CIA. And, other secret police throughout the ages. This seems to have become an intelligence operation and hopefully these are leaders and assassins in the violent movement started by the Al qaida / Muslim Brotherhood insurgents and will be put down like the mad dogs they are to bring peace to the area . In tough situations People will act tuff to save their and other innocent lives. Taking out a bad guy is SOP.

Not much mention of the murders and kidnappings of the insurgency for "independence" and there much higher rate of vicious murders and disappearances of any who oppose their plans to steal Thailand away. World domination the end goal .

But given the reputation of the police forces these days they maybe a lso kidnapping successful rich people for robbery and ransom. Isn't punishment for a "security officer" being caught in the north for being"of questionable ethics"often shipment to the "southern front" as punishment?

This would put many birds of a feather in the same flock

Since there is little evidence of justice in so many cases that are reported, what chance of justice for people who the military have 'taken'? Thailand is simply not a nation that stands for justice and along with corruption, its citizens seem not to be bothered.

Thailand is an apathetic nation that is neither 'free', democratic, or just but rather xenophobic, corrupt and selfish in the extreme.

and if Thailand was truly as you say, your comments would have you on the list to disappear........just saying closedeyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.9v32nXk90q.g

and if Thailand was truly as you say, your comments would have you on the list to disappear........just saying closedeyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.9v32nXk90q.g

The Thai police cannot read English, so we are relatively safe......