Anxiety panic attacks ? what meds or methods have helped you?

CharlieH

As per title, I know everyone is different and medical advice is the best source but I would like to know what works for you ?

Medication , meditation, exercise, breathing exercises, a combination of all ?

Would welcome serious comments and feedback please.

Thanks

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consult a good doctor or psycho-therapist and look at the roots of the problems.

Anxiety attacks can have different sources. In some cases for example cognitive therapy is effective, sometimes in combination with medication and while in other cases breathing and other relaxation technieques are better.

• Like 2

I suggest keeping in shape. I mean a little exercise, fresh air/walking, cut out the ciggies, and reduce the boose intake. Seriously, also, the horizontal tango helps deal with stress (unless there is an unintended consequence, which results in far more stress)

• Like 2

@car720 This is usually related to hyperthyroid condition. Get your blood tested for TSH. Usually one carbimazole or similar per day is prescribed.

I would agree that it can be related to hyperthyroidism. But it could also be hypothyroidism. Fixing thyroid is the easiest way to fix the anxiety problem - if it's the cause. Very low TSH would indicate hyperthyroidism. However, I would not agree that a normal TSH would be conclusive that thyroid is not the problem. (google Mark Starr.) Carbimazole would be helpful if the problem is hyperthyroidism. But local thyroid supplementation would be helpful if the problem were hypothyroidism.

Charlie, sorry to hear that you susceptible to panic attacks, as they can be hugely unpleasant for anyone who experiences them. I started having them during my finals at university and haven't had one in 20 years, so it is possible to move past this. I still get anxious sometimes when stressed - who doesn't- but it doesn't develop into full blown attacks anymore.

A major problem can be that long after the initial trigger has passed, you start getting anxious about being anxious, what they call the vicious circle of anxiety. I used medication to first break this circle. I wouldn't recommend tranquillisers because of attendant and well publicised problems but 'betablockers', namely propranol. These aren't suitable for everyone if you have some underlying medical conditions, but can be used 'situationally', when you feel one coming on or experience one. Within a minute, the physical symptoms of the attack die down. This can help stop the fear of having an attack, and you can even carry them around for added reassurance later. I also echo the other posters for exercise , meditation etc, seeing a GP. A meditation practitioner could no doubt get the same affects of taking a pill, just by the breathing control so is probably a better long term solution than meds. Also, if the cause of attacks is a constant e.g. phobias, then any meds or alternative therapies treatment might be best combined with CBT too. Good luck with dealing with this.

Sometimes you should resort to drugs such as Valium. But I agree with the well advice given above like moderate exercise, don't get carried away and start thinking hulk man. But a well balance diet of veggies, fish and or chicken. Also take a hike, literally of course. And relax by going to a movie or the golf idea from above. I would do that It was not so expensive!

We are all working at this too. So, you have plenty of company.

• Like 1

I used to get panic attacks, which need to be attacked ASAP, before facing an audience. My doctor recommended propranol and it really worked!! Now I take it when I feel like pressure near my heart and it alleviates it right away. Give real Valium a try but do not exceed recommended amount. Then cut down on it and employed the other measures recommended here. Cut the stress which is the culprit.

I found a low carbo diet was very helpful. Google this for more info. Of course, stop all use of caffeine, remember pop has a lot of it not just coffee and tea. I found retiring to LOS to be EXTREMELY healthy. Valium was the go-to drug for me. The others like it are similar. Recently I've read that valium results are often in the mind of the user. In other words, you make yourself calmer by thinking the valium works. Meditation may be helpful. Ginger tea seems to be calming. Stay away from ganja.

• Like 1

I suggest keeping in shape. I mean a little exercise, fresh air/walking, cut out the ciggies, and reduce the boose intake. Seriously, also, the horizontal tango helps deal with stress (unless there is an unintended consequence, which results in far more stress)

I agree with the above, as well as some others that propose counceling, which just really equates to talking it through with someone, preferably an outsider, and definitely not someone related to whatever is causing your stress.

Some people mention medical conditions that can cause this, and even say that that's what "usually causes" your situation. I strongly disagree, and believe that in most cases it is a case of either REAL unavoidable issues that would give 99% of people the same problem, or perhaps smaller problems that fester in the mind and get blown out of proportion. In both these cases, you need to face the problems and deal with them, as I said preferably with the help of others of a patient and understanding nature.

Drugs can help through the initial stages getting you back to a relatively normal life and routine, but as someone already said, addiction and dependancy are real problems that must be avoided.

The usual candidates are those already mentioned like Valium and Xanex, I also found one called Deanxit which worked for me in small doses as and when required. Its banned in quite a few countries, not sure why, could be because of side-effects (I never experienced any but I suggest investigation of why banned).

Hop that helps.

I had anxiety and panic attacks quite often when I was under severe stress. Medication works best and you also have to either resolve or avoid the situations that cause the panic attacks. Moving to Thailand helped me enormously. If you want to know more please PM me.

Yes diet, less caffeine, meditation work to a certain extend as some members suggested above. But I don't drink and never drank coffee or tea so obviously that didn't matter in my case.

Medication for me was the only thing that worked until I was able to resolve the stress that was causing the panic attacks. In my case I used to only get the panic attacks at night time.

hi,

What is the problem my friend? You don't really say too much in your post - if you want to pm me i might be able to suggest something for you.

Cheers,

Lee

Edited by Mario2008
email removed

I've suffered from PTSD and Anxiety attacks myself,and am just going back to a therapist after a couple of years of making it(struggling it!)on my own,

IF you are going down the Benzo route let me recommend Clonazepam(brand name Rivotril),it has a very long half life(24-50 hours) so you don't suffer rebound anxiety as you would with Xanax etc,and if you miss a dose it doesn't matter as much,as you have a long time to take the next.

I used to keep a few Xanax around for their swift action,and the fact that having them in the house,or in my bag acted as a kind of talisman,because I had them I mostly didn't need them.

but be aware they have a more addictive nature due to their short half life(which makes you want to redose)

and if you DO end up seeing a GP or Psychiatrist(and this is only from personal experience)DO NOT take most of the new SSRI/SRNI type medicines,I have had terrible side effects from some of them,and in particular avoid Venflaxamine(brand name Effexor)like the plague,it is extremely addictive, has extremely negative side effects in at least 31% of patients and embodies everything i dislike about the "patients are cashcows" mentality of modern pharmaceutical companies.

relaxation therapies that have worked for me in the past include Meditation(guided meditation mp3's etc are great),being involved in a Martial Art has always helped(Tai Chi is fantastic for its anti stress qualities too),as has cycling,swimming etc,also as someone suggested a walk in the woods or a pastoral/park setting can do wonders.

I have struggled with this beast for a long time,and my brother is an extremely qualified Psychiatrist so if you need to talk please don't hesitate to PM me,

remember you are not alone,take it a day at a time and good luck!.

Edited by QualityTouristNumberOne
  • Like 1

My solution to eight years of unneccessary panic attacks was to get a divorce and leave Thailand. The first came after i was poisioned with mosquitto killer and lost a good few pounds in the OR. The second came when i was left on the kitchen floor to die.

Keep your chin up. There IS life after Thailand. I can thank my wife for that knowledge...... Now where's the gun.... must finish packing for Tha......?

hehehhehe... (only joking)

From what I've seen, many doctors like to make the problem go away by administering happy pills, of the family benzodiazepam. This includes valium and xanax, and many others. I strongly advise against this route. Long term and/or excessive dosages can lead to very serious addiction, and unimaginable horror when the victim is eventually forced into withdrawal. This may sound overly dramatic, but I have personal experience, and what I say is no exaggeration. It's best to find some natural way to deal with stress. I have several tools I use, including exercise, meditation, yoga, and focusing on my breath. Some of this stuff may sound fruity, but it actually works, and has no real drawbacks, except if one over exercises. In my experience, doctors just want to get the patient out the door with as little fuss as possible, and a prescription is an easy way to do this.

very true

for a number of years I suffered from a stress related illness. Mainly to do with my line of work that I used to do.

the medicos seen fit to prescribe benzodiazepam which I eventually became addicted to. Getting off the medication became more a daunting task then the actual illness itself.

During this period panic attacks where part of my every day existence. I found the best way to lesson the attack was to stop whatever I was doing and go somewhere relatively quiet and away from every one and after doing this for a few weeks I was able to control the attacks through relaxation techniques.

As for the benzodiazepam I haven't taken one for about 9 years and I will NEVER take another one again.

Good luck and I hope your well very soon.

• Like 1

Unfortunately medication does not work for me. Exercise can help, but then it can be a struggle just to get it together to attempt. Yoga is another good outlet. I use a herbal remedy called 'Rescue Remedy", just a few drops under the tongue when I feel anxious or stressed. The other thing is that anxiety can burn you out, so good rest is also essential. Another method I have used has been acupuncture combined with cupping/or massage.

Finding someone to sit with and talk can be a help.

Some Chinese herbs are benefical in helping stress.

The cause to the anxiety may also need to be treated; sometimes connecting with others that have had the similar bad episodes in their life, hearing their experience and that they have come thru that period of life can help.

Hope things feel better soon for you.

smile.pngcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Laughter is also a good method.

Panic attacks (and many other unwanted states) may be the result of something wrong with you - but you don't know what.

For me reading Eckhart Tolle "The Power of Now" was (and still is) very helpful.

I know this might not be a solution for everyone, but it's worth a try.

• Like 1

From what I've seen, many doctors like to make the problem go away by administering happy pills, of the family benzodiazepam. This includes valium and xanax, and many others. I strongly advise against this route. Long term and/or excessive dosages can lead to very serious addiction, and unimaginable horror when the victim is eventually forced into withdrawal. This may sound overly dramatic, but I have personal experience, and what I say is no exaggeration. It's best to find some natural way to deal with stress. I have several tools I use, including exercise, meditation, yoga, and focusing on my breath. Some of this stuff may sound fruity, but it actually works, and has no real drawbacks, except if one over exercises. In my experience, doctors just want to get the patient out the door with as little fuss as possible, and a prescription is an easy way to do this.

All you need from your doctor is a referral to a psychiatrist as this is their area of expertise.

Thanks to all for the overwhelming response and various ideas and suggestions, much appreciated.

Just as little more info, I dont drink, or smoke, eat reasonably heathy, could take more exercise for sure.

Thanks again

Try taking Magnesium supplements and eating lots of nuts (which contain magnesium). It helps increase the levels of serotonin in the brain which helps for depression. There is a questionnaire which is used in the UK to assess the level of depression. If you can find it on the internet, have a look. It may give you an insight into your true level of depression of which anxiety attacks are a part. It's not always possible to put a finger on the cause, but attempting lifestyle changes could help. If all else fails, suggest SSRIs rather than Benzodiazepines though they will take at least 4 weeks before they kick in.

Good luck.