V sign when taking a photo

giggles

The Pinoys are probably the one who use it most.

Not one single picture can be taken without at least one will use the V-sign (not the rabbit ears).

It takes a full day to make a group picture of more than 1 pinoys, if one want to avoid the V-sign being used in the picture.

When asking them why, absolutely nobody has any idea why.

I think I read somewhere it is from back in WWII (McArthur?) or earlier struggle.

The story is that if French soldiers caught an English bowman they would cut off the index and middle fingers of his right hand so he could not draw a longbow. So, prior to the battle the English bowman would wave these two fingers at the French whilst shouting "Pluck yew!"

Over time the gesture came to mean "F*** you!"

Unlikely, as the English didn't speak English in those times.

Go on then explain, what language did the English speak at that time?

The story is that if French soldiers caught an English bowman they would cut off the index and middle fingers of his right hand so he could not draw a longbow. So, prior to the battle the English bowman would wave these two fingers at the French whilst shouting "Pluck yew!"

Unlikely, as the English didn't speak English in those times.

Go on then explain, what language did the English speak at that time?

Yes, I would like to know, too.

He probably doesn't know; but I do.

Most people spoke Middle English. For an example of this see Chaucer's Canterbury Tales.

The nobility also spoke Norman French and probably Latin as well.

AnotherOneAmerican; had you taken the time to read the whole post of mine which you partially quote, you would have seen that I do say this explanation is almost certainly incorrect.

The common misconception is that this started in the Hundred Years War, before the Battle of Agincourt.

However, this story is almost certainly not true.

Only nobles and others who could be ransomed were, if caught, kept alive. Commoners were not worth a ransom and feeding them etc. would be costly, so any captured during or after a battle were usually killed.

So one has to wonder what the point of your post was. Edited by 7by7

He probably doesn't know; but I do.

Most people spoke Middle English. For an example of this see Chaucer's Canterbury Tales.

The nobility also spoke Norman French and probably Latin as well.

AnotherOneAmerican; had you taken the time to read the whole post of mine which you partially quote, you would have seen that I do say this explanation is almost certainly incorrect.

The common misconception is that this started in the Hundred Years War, before the Battle of Agincourt.

However, this story is almost certainly not true.

Only nobles and others who could be ransomed were, if caught, kept alive. Commoners were not worth a ransom and feeding them etc. would be costly, so any captured during or after a battle were usually killed.

So one has to wonder what the point of your post was.

Whan that aprill with his shoures soote

The droghte of march hath perced to the roote,

And bathed every veyne in swich licour

Of which vertu engendred is the flour;

Whan zephirus eek with his sweete breeth

I like Chaucer. (That is the point of my post) His I don't know.

• Like 1