The Chinese......Another View.

theblether

Suggest you keep your rebel brigade in check theblether.

Ah the nostalgic memories of the lost British Empire souls who still think they rule the world and can order the east around ...tsk tsk tsk

British bulldogs to the Americans pit bill these days ...sad ..although i still enjoy the biscuits at marks and spencer. Those are still traditionally good

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suggest you keep your rebel brigade in check theblether.

Ah the nostalgic memories of the lost British Empire souls who still think they rule the world and can order the east around ...tsk tsk tsk

British bulldogs to the Americans pit bill these days ...sad ..although i still enjoy the biscuits at marks and spencer. Those are still traditionally good

No point me mentioning the Chinese Dream of McDonalds and KFC then.

You are clearly Tier 1 Mr Chee.

What do you feed the dachshund?

" Mao was quoted as saying in Shanghai in 1959: When there is not enough to eat people starve to death. It is better to let half of the people die so that the other half can eat their fill."

He often gets misquoted.

And mistranslated.

...and in a lot of places you can't even mention his name.

There's a big bronze statue of Mao Zedong outside one of my favourite low cost restaurants in Beijing. Somewhat ironic don't you think.

" Mao was quoted as saying in Shanghai in 1959: When there is not enough to eat people starve to death. It is better to let half of the people die so that the other half can eat their fill."

He often gets misquoted.

And mistranslated.

Unfortunately he does not believe in brushing his teeth so maybe that's why people never get the full message perhaps ? ...I agree that is disgusting and an awful hygiene habit.

Wonder how Nixon sat in that conversion for that long...he must be good at holding his breath

(Pardon the above quote function if you would - the long statement about Churchill and all of that was written by Lawrence Chee, to whom I am responding in this post. (harry did not write the long quote.) A quote from Singlepot also disappeared in the process. Anyway, here's my response to the long statement above written by Lawrence Chee.)

My god, here he goes again reliving the past, dwelling and keeping alive the grievances and scores to settle of the past, carrying the past forward to the present and extending it into the future with a vengeance.

The CCP promotes this, teaches it, reiterates it, encourages it and thrives on the emotions that dredging up the past always stir.

The focus on the perceived sore spots of the past keeps in motion the vicious cycle of hate and revenge, vengeance, against present generations for the sins of their long since passed ancestors and their unfortunate deeds that ended long ago.

Everything is personal and nothing is forgiven, not ever. And nothing is ever forgotten, which means there always remain old scores to settle.

The vicious backward looking cycle just never ends, which means the blood continues to flow down through the ages.

No one can forgive and forget, or, if they can't forget, to at least forgive so the cycle of vengeance and old scores to settle can be broken in order that new attitudes and values can emerge from the carnage of the past. No, they have to keep the carnage going......and going......and going......forever.

It's sorry, sad, pathetic, self-destructive.

It's an ancient and primitive state of mind.

Edited by Tywais
  • Like 1

I had a private consultation with a rheumatologist in a top Beijing University hospital arranged the Guanxi way. (My client was a big west pharmaceutical company). I offered to pay, but apparently it was all taken care of.

The doctor had clearly been educated about the west in the way that Publicus (and theblether in other posts) refer to.

Tomorrow I will post a more heartwarming story about a Chinese doctor in a lower tier hospital in Beijing. A community hospital.

China is all about tiers.

• Like 1

Feed them to the dogs harrry.

This quote from Singlepot is an apt description of how the former colonies felt during WWII when the famed British Winston Churchill made decisions that allowed that to happen to the Asians and a subsequent reason why many of the colonists refused British rule again in the south east arena after WWII".

I had been thinking that the colonists in the North East refused British rule, and even before WWII when George Washington was a young man.

One thing I was truly sorry to see: The British leaving Hong Kong. HK used to be a jewel while the British were there, at least the 20 years I clearly remember. To my way of thinking, having the British in Hong Kong was the best thing about the whole situation, and it also contributed much to the quality of life for all people of Hong Kong.

You cannot tell me different,

Because I will not listen to a contrary argument,

I am that sure,

Surer than NeverSure, anyway.

"Quality of life"

How does one define that? Based on what standards and criteria and during which time?

I thought I had a good quality of life when I slept over in my uncle's farm in a bunk bed, and ate 18 cracked eggs the next morning in the farm. I enjoyed the time and never doubted that I had a quality of life then! I don't doubt it now neither.

The British did bring the rules of law in HK and that's a good thing. Wish Thailand could have done the same, but then, it's never colonized, so the saying goes. Perhaps, it should have had so people may have more respect for the rules of laws, uh?

• Like 1

This quote from Singlepot is an apt description of how the former colonies felt during WWII when the famed British Winston Churchill made decisions that allowed that to happen to the Asians and a subsequent reason why many of the colonists refused British rule again in the south east arena after WWII".

I had been thinking that the colonists in the North East refused British rule, and even before WWII when George Washington was a young man.

One thing I was truly sorry to see: The British leaving Hong Kong. HK used to be a jewel while the British were there, at least the 20 years I clearly remember. To my way of thinking, having the British in Hong Kong was the best thing about the whole situation, and it also contributed much to the quality of life for all people of Hong Kong.

I am that sure,

Most of the Chinese in Hong Kong came to Hong Kong because it was British, and not Chinese.

And for the same reason, many of them went to Australia or Canada to get passports and right of abode.

They wanted the purest form of democracy - the right to vote with their feet; a right many of us take for granted, but not readily available to most of our Asian friends.

SC

And what about the country that effectively stripped people of most of their citizenship rights when they returned their leased property.

I am that sure,

Most of the Chinese in Hong Kong came to Hong Kong because it was British, and not Chinese.

And for the same reason, many of them went to Australia or Canada to get passports and right of abode.

They wanted the purest form of democracy - the right to vote with their feet; a right many of us take for granted, but not readily available to most of our Asian friends.

SC

And what about the country that effectively stripped people of most of their citizenship rights when they returned their leased property.

Sitting tenants have a right to continue their lease. It's not the departing landlord's obligation to find them alternative accommodation.

• Like 2

Aaah. the subject of Quality of Life.

I will return to this point later.

In the meantime, anybody remember the recent request by a Conservative UK member of parliament for a little more focus on people's 'happiness', and a little less focus on the money.

I saw a recent survey carried out in many countries that suggested Singaporeans were amongst the most discontent.

To be continued.........

I am that sure,

SC

You are so right that, "Most of the Chinese in Hong Kong came to Hong Kong because it was British, and not Chinese.", a fact that is overlooked almost every time people have discussions like the one we are having here. I never forget why I so much loved Hong Kong in the 80s and early 90s, which at that time was one of the greatest places to live, having just the right amount of both cultures to make it almost perfect.

The people of Hong Kong now realize what they lost.

But my view is sometimes regarded by close minded people who do not see the facts as being a mite chauvinistic, when I only care about results, and not nationalism.

The result of the British management of Hong Kong was far superior to anything China has ever had.

And is ever likely to have.

Period.

Why should I lie?

• Like 1

SC

Sitting tenants have a right to continue their lease. It's not the departing landlord's obligation to find them alternative accommodation.

Not in all countries...try that in Australia and you will find yourself soon thrown out by bailoiffs and armed police.

SC

Not in all countries...try that in Australia and you will find yourself soon thrown out by bailoiffs and armed police.

I think you'll find that a landlord can't terminate your lease by transferring the property to another owner.

Depending on the nature of the tenancy, the tenant will have more or less rights.

I think my tenants are normally on assured short-hold tenancies, which gives them security of tenure for six months, and month by month after that.

We could digress into a most entertaining discussion on Rachmanism and tenants' rights; suffice to query if you are interested in buying a sound investment property in Glasgow?

One of the benefits of Glasgow or Hong Kong over Beijing is that your property rights are more clearly defined, and less subject to administrative whim

SC

I am that sure,

SC

You are so right that, "Most of the Chinese in Hong Kong came to Hong Kong because it was British, and not Chinese.", a fact that is overlooked almost every time people have discussions like the one we are having here. I never forget why I so much loved Hong Kong in the 80s and early 90s, which at that time was one of the greatest places to live, having just the right amount of both cultures to make it almost perfect.

But my view is sometimes regarded by close minded people who do not see the facts as being a mite chauvinistic, when I only care about results, and not nationalism.

The result of the British management of Hong Kong was far superior to anything China has ever had.

Period.

Why should I lie?

No lies required, I've even had mainland Chinese friends expressing a wish that they too had the benefit of the Hong Kong experience on the mainland. Too many people go sliding into the British question with brains shut and mouths open. Many people I know are thankful for the British influence on their countries and some even bewail the fact that we have gone.

• Like 2

I am that sure,

SC

Period.

Why should I lie?

No lies required, I've even had mainland Chinese friends expressing a wish that they too had the benefit of the Hong Kong experience on the mainland. Too many people go sliding into the British question with brains shut and mouths open. Many people I know are thankful for the British influence on their countries and some even bewail the fact that we have gone.

In every change of regime the winners and losers change. The ones who bewail the change may be the losers the ones who do not the winners.

The more things change the more they remain the same.

Edited by harrry

Notwithstanding the further additional benefit of Glasgow and Hong Kong being approximately 7000 miles and 2000 miles away, as the crow flies, respectively.

Depending on where you start from, yes.

...and whether the crow takes the shortest route.

That's not true Harrry, many peoples in many countries have found themselves in a reduced state since the departure of the British. There's nothing staying the same about it.

Borneon Sarawakans now look at mainland Malaysia with trepidation as the move to Islamification ( led by a few vociferous zealots to be fair ) is causing real concern. Sarawakans were particularly grateful for the assistance rendered by the British, a fact that most people don't know.

It was a serious blunder by the US to force the British into retreating from the Commonwealth countries. We were a benign force in most and by leaving early it allowed many countries to fracture along the lines of tribalism again rather than practicalities. Time would have brought a more established middle class that would have improved the chances of success for each country in the long term.

The US to this day has never been nailed as to the stupidity of that decision. When one of your greatest allies is in effective and benign control of vast areas of the Earth, why would you encourage fracture? It was mental, short sighted, and done at the behest of the Irish Catholic contingent in Congress.

Some of you American guys need to wake up to the amount of Old World politics being fought out in your Congress, and I can assure you it's going to get worse, much worse in the next 30-40 years as the Roman Catholic church seeks to exert serious influence on the country.

I would suggest the word subordinates better describes the position of the British with the USA , who were doing anything to halt the rise communism through out SEA .

Subordinates is not the correct term as exemplified by the British refusal to get involved in the Vietnam War. We did though at the same time have to deal with a communist insurrection in Malaysia, for which the Malaysian government has been eternally grateful to the point they issued campaign medals a couple of years ago. My BIL received one from the Malaysian Ambassador to the UK.

The US took great delight in the weakness of the UK after the war, it was, and still is, a ridiculous, truly appalling position to take.

That's not true Harrry, many peoples in many countries have found themselves in a reduced state since the departure of the British. There's nothing staying the same about it.

Borneon Sarawakans now look at mainland Malaysia with trepidation as the move to Islamification ( led by a few vociferous zealots to be fair ) is causing real concern. Sarawakans were particularly grateful for the assistance rendered by the British, a fact that most people don't know.

It was a serious blunder by the US to force the British into retreating from the Commonwealth countries. We were a benign force in most and by leaving early it allowed many countries to fracture along the lines of tribalism again rather than practicalities. Time would have brought a more established middle class that would have improved the chances of success for each country in the long term.

The US to this day has never been nailed as to the stupidity of that decision. When one of your greatest allies is in effective and benign control of vast areas of the Earth, why would you encourage fracture? It was mental, short sighted, and done at the behest of the Irish Catholic contingent in Congress.

Some of you American guys need to wake up to the amount of Old World politics being fought out in your Congress, and I can assure you it's going to get worse, much worse in the next 30-40 years as the Roman Catholic church seeks to exert serious influence on the country.

Now you really have insulted me theblether....callin me American.

Yes the British possibly was one of the better colonial powers....not that it was good for all. At least it did set into ground a new ruling class of local merchants supported by a good infrastructure which led to stability which does in general help minimise the absolute worst mahem.

I would suggest the word subordinates better describes the position of the British with the USA , who were doing anything to halt the rise communism through out SEA .

Subordinates is not the correct term as exemplified by the British refusal to get involved in the Vietnam War. We did though at the same time have to deal with a communist insurrection in Malaysia, for which the Malaysian government has been eternally grateful to the point they issued campaign medals a couple of years ago. My BIL received one from the Malaysian Ambassador to the UK.

The US took great delight in the weakness of the UK after the war, it was, and still is, a ridiculous, truly appalling position to take.

Now now theblether...the british were not on their own in malasia. I remember a few australians who still stay there under the ground. You haven't forgiven Grenada I guess. And the wonderful support America gave in the Suez.

Still a long way from China.

I still contend that peace and gradual change usually hurts most people the least though it does not help some of those who want to be on top.