Stop wasting time on the Net, Thai youth told

webfact

Stop wasting time on the Net, youth told
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- A new bill aimed at encouraging youngsters to opt for appropriate media content will be discussed at a preliminary hearing next week, a senior Culture Ministry official said yesterday.

He was speaking at a four-day seminar, which wraps up on Thursday, at which 120 students from 10 Bangkok-based schools were present. The seminar is part of a ministry project to discuss social media and freedom of speech with the youth.

Apinan Poshyananda, Culture Ministry's deputy permanent secretary, explained that the "safe and constructive media bill" would cover films, television shows, games as well as karaoke as he cited a recent survey showing that Thai students spent up to eight hours a day surfing the Net or chatting with their friends. He said these chats or time spent on the Net were mostly unrelated to schoolwork.

In comparison, he said, students in Singapore spent just as long surfing the Net, except they did it to research their school subjects or to complete projects. He also called on parents to set a good example by not wasting time on such activities either.

Apinan also said the controversial television series "Hormones", in which characters openly engage in sexual acts and discuss taboo topics, might require intervention by the National Broadcasting and Telecommunication Commission.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-03

Yes, do like your parents do: watch endless hours of cheesy brainless soap operas every night. At least with social media they are interacting in some form.

My father in law made a comment about me always being on my iPad...I showed him that this is how I keep up on my news, stay in touch with friends, watch shows that I want to watch, read books, learn languages (Duolingo anyone?), play silly as well as thinking games, compose and record music, work, etc. That made him dizzy so he turned back around and with the rest of the family stared at the TV for the next three hours.

My real parents in the States aren't much better. They'll watch the evening news from 5-7 every night, hearing the same 10 stories 4-5 times each.

I won't bother you and your TV, so please don't bother me about my fun learning entertainment tool.

Edited by tominbkk
  • Like 2

cheesy.gif

Yes, ban the slightly sexy TV shows and chatrooms and kareoke and fun stuff. Why should kids today have all these fun happy things in their lives, when back in my day we had to shovel coal in blizzards and stare at a dark wall all night after work. You can translate all of these kinds of articles simply ;

"I wish we had all this cool stuff when I was a kid. I wish I was young again! I'm so old and achey! Ban all this fun youth stuff!"

coffee1.gif

You must have had a easy time of childhood. I had to walk 5 miles to school and 5 miles back every day Uphill both ways.biggrin.png

The kids of today should leave all that stuff for we of the older generation who no longer have the physical abilities to enjoy the great out doors or interaction with friends. Now when we interact with each other it is about are various illnesses and operations.sad.png

It was an old Jimmy Steward movie It's a wonderful life where the ever so true lines of youth is wasted on the young ones was uttered.wai2.gif

• Like 2

Yes, do like your parents do: watch endless hours of cheesy brainless soap operas every night. At least with social media they are interacting in some form.

My father in law made a comment about me always being on my iPad...I showed him that this is how I keep up on my news, stay in touch with friends, watch shows that I want to watch, read books, learn languages (Duolingo anyone?), play silly as well as thinking games, compose and record music, work, etc. That made him dizzy so he turned back around and with the rest of the family stared at the TV for the next three hours.

My real parents in the States aren't much better. They'll watch the evening news from 5-7 every night, hearing the same 10 stories 4-5 times each.

I won't bother you and your TV, so please don't bother me about my fun learning entertainment tool.

At least they are interacting with another human being.

Social skills you will never learn in cyber world.

How many people in the privacy of their own home sit down at a computer and immediately grow to be seven feet tall and invincible.

How many people in the privacy of their own home sit down at a computer and immediately grow to be seven feet tall and invincible.

I would hardly call everyone staring at a tv for hours on end passively watching soap operas with infantile plots interacting.

cheesy.gif

Yes, ban the slightly sexy TV shows and chatrooms and kareoke and fun stuff. Why should kids today have all these fun happy things in their lives, when back in my day we had to shovel coal in blizzards and stare at a dark wall all night after work. You can translate all of these kinds of articles simply ;

"I wish we had all this cool stuff when I was a kid. I wish I was young again! I'm so old and achey! Ban all this fun youth stuff!"

coffee1.gif

You must have had a easy time of childhood. I had to walk 5 miles to school and 5 miles back every day Uphill both ways.biggrin.png

The kids of today should leave all that stuff for we of the older generation who no longer have the physical abilities to enjoy the great out doors or interaction with friends. Now when we interact with each other it is about are various illnesses and operations.sad.png

It was an old Jimmy Steward movie It's a wonderful life where the ever so true lines of youth is wasted on the young ones was uttered.wai2.gif

Hills? You had hills? We DREAMED of having hills! We had to live on an infinitely flat plane with no gradients of any kind. And we had to sweep the whole entire thing too.

giggle.gif

• Like 2

So much for freedom of speech - this sounds like a thinly veiled guise to stop students discussing the government / political issues. So now facebook and other sites are going to be monitored? Perhaps school work is too boring for kids here and they need an outlet. Don't blame them when I see what is taught in schools here.

I doubt they will discuss anything in this matter. Like in school they will tell them what to do and obey.

Here’s an excerpt of an unworldly Program for "cultural development of our children" by H.E.Mrs.Sukumol Kunplome

Translation by Saksith Saiyasombut Thai blogger

During ages 8-10, show them the most important temples in the province, in the district or in the big cities, historical sites, get to know the ordination hall (Phra Ubosot), its border stones (Bai sema), the chofah, the bai raka and the hang hongse and the kan tauy, the chedi, the [chedis with the relics of Buddha or famous Buddhist monks], the giant figures of Wat Pho and Wat Arun (…), sign them up for Thai language club in school, Thai music club and Thai dancing club.

When 11-15 years old, show them the ordination hall, the religious paintings inside, explain them the history of Buddhism, the positions of the Buddha, the ordination, the door carvings, the marquetry (…) bring them to showings of movies about Thai history, traditional music and dance, encourage them to perform Thai traditional music and dance on stage and in competition or even just in Thai etiquette competition. Find a way for your child to be a representative on Mother’s Day [the Queen's birthday], Father’s Day [the King's birthday], Teacher’s Day (…) encourage your son to be a novice monk, your daughter to take up meditation or sometimes cooking classes or help the parents with cooking, fry eggs and cook rice (with an electric rice cooker), bake sweets, make the tables, make chili paste, buying groceries with the parents, knowing to cut vegetables, peel fruits, mix herbs, cleaning the plates and the home, wash and iron your own clothes, teach them to speak politely and correctly, always “khrap” or “kha” [polite particles at the end of sentences] during phone calls (…)

When they have reached the ages 16-18, teach your children to behave politely, how to dress in a Thai way, how to choose style and color, to use Thai patterns and motives often, bring them to festivities of relatives, to get to know the aunts and uncles, teach your daughter to “value their body” [=not to randomly let boys come close], teach your son to respect towards girls, how to choose their friends, to behave socially, be compassionate and other living animals.

Hard to imagine a teenager would share her excitement over this…

n2Sirindhorn-1.jpg

cheesy.gif

coffee1.gif

Hills? You had hills? We DREAMED of having hills! We had to live on an infinitely flat plane with no gradients of any kind. And we had to sweep the whole entire thing too.

giggle.gif

Sweep? You had a broom? Luxury! We had to pick up all the lint on our plane with our fingers.. every night before we were given our gruel.

Back to the topic, I do wonder if the real threat is exposure to the outside world of knowledge and opinion.

• Like 1

How does this story dove-tail with the one about Thai youngsters being on the leading edge of a boom in internet sales, BS, etc.

Although true that most Thais are consumers of media and most Thai web-sites are all directly descended from each other prefaced with tribute (!) front pages and main pages filled with photographs of senior staff on the day the site was created, never updated or coming soon pages completed and overloaded with garish animated GiFs.

But Thai users are good at propagating trojan and virus infections. sad.png

Edited by Cuban

The great hope of "the masters" is that the masses DO NOT learn a/b other countries, true democracy or how to think critically. That will NEVER be encouraged. Shut down the web now and only show tv shows that have hysterical woman, reserved men, and police in crisp uniforms. LOL

• Like 1

Great idea thumbsup.gif , in fact her lad (17) came home yesterday and told us he was taught that Isaan folk have major stomach problems cos of whats going on in their heads. Now, I am sure I would never have learned THAT on the Net clap2.gif . 10 out of 10 teacher. w00t.gif

True story, and it is a private school. sad.png

• Like 2

I would hardly call everyone staring at a tv for hours on end passively watching soap operas with infantile plots interacting.

It is if your sitting there with them.tongue.png

Kids idea of interacting with each other is electronic. won't be long and they will be sitting in the asame room text messaging each other.whistling.gif