House Contents Insurance

I have a house in Thailand and I am having trouble finding an insurance company to cover the value of the contents. I have insurance at the moment but they only cover each item to a maxium of Barht 7000 which leaves things like TV and washing machine un covered.

Any suggestions welcome.

From my experience in Phuket, it will be very difficult to find an insurance company in Thailand who will insure anything valuable. Our insurance was underwritten by AXA through a local broker and the max. value of each item insured was Baht 20,000. However, reading the small print it is evident that one will never get a satang. Especially if you are a farang couple, forget it. In the small print it is normally written that the insurance only cover with "forcibly" entrance to your property. This little word leaves all kind of interpretation to the insurance company and it will never be in your favour.

:o kandt

Where is your house? In Pattaya their is a farang insurance broker works at Northern Thai real estate office. He seems to handle most of the farang insurance. He suggested QBE insurance (or at least I think thats the name, sorry dont have the policy where I am). Coverage is far higher than you have - from memory I have a limit of 300,000 and maximum of 20,000 for any one piece - he considers them to be very good, but I have never needed to make a claim. Premium from memory is roughly 12,000 per year but my main concern is fire not robbery as I have nothing worth nicking that be carried on the back of a motorbike or pawned easily.

By the way, he also told me that nobody insures anything like jewellery, phones, cash etc as the risk of fraud is too great by Thais. He said if you have any of that stuff buy a safe and bolt it to the floor.

Hope this helps

:o Thanks chaps.

All I really want is piece of mind with regards to electrical goods, ie DVD player, washing Machine TV's and other household goods. The buildings cover is no problem.

The house is occupied most of the time and is guarded by a dog so I have my fingers crossed but it would be nice not to have to worry when I am abscent.

Digger the house is in Hua Hin. After being frightened half to death by the scare stories of buying in Thailand, I must say my experience was trouble free. I am very happy with the results. It is the details like insurance that I need to sort out.

Lopburi, thanks for the link.