Unknown password for CISCO EPC2325n

Tchooptip

Hi every one

I did move in a new house 3 days ago the Wifi is "Included" :-) with the rent.

It works perfectly with ethernet, but impossible to connect in Wifi for nobody is capable to give me the right username and password.

The owner an old Thai lady called True for me the girl I spoke to gave me username and password that does not work. I am very patient I also know that it is case sensitive so I did try every possible options.

I thought I could reboot the box so no more password needed, to no avail !

I have of course Googled my problem but the solutions are too complicated I do not want to erease everything since for the moment at least ethernet is working.

Thanks in advance anywaysmile.png

There is no login for wifi, only the password and the network ID. That modem is WPS compliant so you should not even need to know the wifi password to connect with other WPS equipment. Just push the WPS button.

If your other equipment is not WPS compliant then you will need to check the wifi settings page of the modem setup via your browser (assuming you are connected via ethernet). From that page you can easily read or alter the wifi password. Do not confuse this with the modem login details or the internet connection details, none of which should be changed. You need only view and possibly change the wifi password.

Full instructions seem to be here:

http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/userguides2/4024320-new.pdf

If you are lucky the cable modem is still at the default username and password. The True engineers seldom change it when installing the internet!

Connect using ethernet, then in your browser type 192.168.1.1

Normally a username/password window will pop up, then use following:

username: admin

password: password (really, original innit?)

You will then get a screen prompting you to change the password to something different. Up to you, if you change it, do inform your landlady!

If you then click on the 'setup" tab, scroll down to Wireless and choose security, you can then see the wifi password (check the "show key" box) and/or change to something different.

The instructions link that I posted contains the default login details for that model. They are not as you indicate.

When in doubt RTFM. whistling.gif

Of course the ISP may have altered the firmware or changed the login details from the default anyway.

The instructions link that I posted contains the default login details for that model. They are not as you indicate.

When in doubt RTFM. whistling.gif

Of course the ISP may have altered the firmware or changed the login details from the default anyway.

What I wrote is only valid for cisco cable routers installed by True!

I have them at several locations, all the same username/password combo, never even offered to change by the True engineers.

Guess it's easier for them when on service calls!

3BB does the same, they put a wifi wpa password in of your choice, but leave the router login default (admin/3bb)

Edited by geordieman2

There is no login for wifi, only the password and the network ID. That modem is WPS compliant so you should not even need to know the wifi password to connect with other WPS equipment. Just push the WPS button.

If your other equipment is not WPS compliant then you will need to check the wifi settings page of the modem setup via your browser (assuming you are connected via ethernet). From that page you can easily read or alter the wifi password. Do not confuse this with the modem login details or the internet connection details, none of which should be changed. You need only view and possibly change the wifi password.

Full instructions seem to be here:

http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/userguides2/4024320-new.pdf

Thank you very much for your time, but as I said I did Googled my problem for true :-) and of course found the user manual on the Web, went to http://192.168.1.1 unfortunately the password probably have been changed, so I cannot access neither the setup nor the advanced screen (Yes I am coonected via ethernet)

Ethernet will work OK anyway, because everything plugged in should get an IP address automagically.

I'd take it to the True shop and get someone to configure it front of you so you can see and write down the credentials.

Thank's very much Chicog, shall I tell you... no I will not...whistling.gif

(It is so obvious I had not thought about that xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.iUTh4LcMoY.webp ashamed )

Ethernet will work OK anyway, because everything plugged in should get an IP address automagically.

I'd take it to the True shop and get someone to configure it front of you so you can see and write down the credentials.

Thank's very much Chicog, shall I tell you... no I will not...whistling.gif

(It is so obvious I had not thought about that xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.iUTh4LcMoY.webp ashamed )

Did you try the password as posted by geordieman above?

I too have the Cisco cable router, and indeed the password is not as in the cisco manual (also tried that one first), but changed by the True people to admin/password.

I'm also not sure on how much damage you can do by doing a full reset. I know True authenticates your modem through the MAC address and not through PPoE settings (like ADSL uses), so it's very possible the thing would still connect to the internet AND be defaulted to the standard passwords.

Failure would however require the assistance of the true technicians. Only to be risked if you're ready to go see them anyway!

There are probably some telco specific ADSL parameters in there which will be wiped if you do a factory reset.

Better to take it to the provider.

And did I mention disabling WPS?

No adsl stuff in there.

It's docsis. But yeah, fair chance there are some needed True settings in there.

You do have another option. Install another wireless router via the ethernet cable. You MUST set that new router to bridge mode, which may also be called repeater or access point mode. That setting shuts off the router's wide area access (internet/modem/ISP) and turns it into a wireless switch.

While you're in there, set to to provide internal IP addresses in a high range to avoid conflicts with other people. Use, say, 192.168.1.125 to 192.168.1.130. Uncheck the "assign IP addresses automatically" and check the "Use the following IP addresses."

If you will have more than 6 wireless devices (nodes) on your internal network, then just use a number higher than 130 as the last number.

Now set your own password for your access point while you're in there to keep neighbors out.

Edited by NeverSure

This is an awfully over-complicated thread. Is the True shop a long, long way away then?

I agree, but PLEASE first try hitting it with a rubber mallot, thereafter submersing it in a tub of liquid of your choice. Hold Your breath for 60 Seconds - no more - no less and then, call someone, maybe True, but not me.

This is an awfully over-complicated thread. Is the True shop a long, long way away then?

You're right and I feel pretty dumb. I misread his OP and thought he was renting an apartment with a shared router. I got that from a thread on another forum and had a brain fart.

My suggestion works well if you have a cat 5 wire from a shared router in a building. He has the actual router. (hits self in face.)

I'm not at home where my True DOCSIS Cisco router is, but I *think* it's the same model number as in the thread title, and my username/password were admin/admin ... *not* admin/password

For the password try using the router's full serial number...or if the serial number has a dash in it the digits after the dash....or the last eight digits of the serial number....or the full MAC number. These should be on a label on the modem/router. User ID would be "admin".

I remember when True installed my Cisco router and later on replaced it with a Thomson router, each time I changed the password while they were still there and the initial password consisted of the serial number (or part of it) or the MAC number/address....I just can't remember now since it was way over a year ago when I got my latest True-issued router. Good luck.

In case someone in the future has this problem, you can safely do a hard reset on Cisco cable modems and still be able to connect afterwards. The cable modem's MAC address is registered at the ISP and there aren't any other user specific parameters.

From memory, the first reset will put the modem into bridge mode and change the IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.100.1. If that isn't what you want, do another reset and it will go back to default. If you reset yet again it will toggle back to bridge mode and so on.

In case someone in the future has this problem, you can safely do a hard reset on Cisco cable modems and still be able to connect afterwards. The cable modem's MAC address is registered at the ISP and there aren't any other user specific parameters.

From memory, the first reset will put the modem into bridge mode and change the IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.100.1. If that isn't what you want, do another reset and it will go back to default. If you reset yet again it will toggle back to bridge mode and so on.

Interesting to note!

It's quite useful actually to have it bridge mode, along with a more powerful/flexible router behind it!

Is it totally transparent, i.e. does your router end up directly with the public true IP address?

I'm not at home where my True DOCSIS Cisco router is, but I *think* it's the same model number as in the thread title, and my username/password were admin/admin ... *not* admin/password

Maybe a different model.

True flashes all the incoming cisco routers with their own latest firmware, and that one has the admin/password combo (as Tchooptip now confirmed).

To get it on admin/admin, somebody had to put it in as it is neither the True default, nor the Cisco default.

Wouldn't be the first time though to have a True engineer getting a brain wobble and doing something halfway smart laugh.png

Interesting to note!

It's quite useful actually to have it bridge mode, along with a more powerful/flexible router behind it!

Is it totally transparent, i.e. does your router end up directly with the public true IP address?

No and yes. This confused me when I did the bridge mode setup as my prior experience was only with ADSL. In the case of ADSL, bridge mode is (as you say) totally transparent. The router negotiates the PPPoE connection to get the public IP address and the connection between the router and ADSL modem is at a lower level than TCP/IP.

It seems though that cable modem technology doesn't work that way. Even in bridge mode, the modem gets the public IP address but then passes it onto the router. Somewhat akin to putting an ADSL modem/router's LAN ports into the DMZ.

So perhaps it is more accurately described as "half bridge". In any case, it works well. I've had a TRUE supplied Cisco cable modem in front of a DD-WRT router for about a year and as far as I know, it has never missed a beat.