Waitrose shopping spree, what would you pack. Emigrating from UK

sappersrest

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

paxo stuffing,branston pickle,hp.brown,oxo cubes,colemans mustard and not forgetting those blow back heinz baked beans.

Pretty sure all those products are readily available in Thailand, no?

Reckon I'd probably be stocking up on a selection of rare beers thumbsup.gif

All those things are available here.

And since Waitrose has an agreement with Tops supermarkets here and you can pretty much buy most key Waitrose products at Tops, there's probably no point to this exercise.

As mentioned some of the Waitrose items are here but you'll pay. If your into reading the ingredients on labels forget it here as they cover them with super duper glue on labels, so maybe familiarise yourself with a few items before you come.

Maldon Sea Salt 200 gram 385 baht, maramite 165 baht, Waitrose self rising flour 189 baht.

I'd be packing sweets myself :)

paxo stuffing,branston pickle,hp.brown,oxo cubes,colemans mustard and not forgetting those blow back heinz baked beans.

And since Waitrose has an agreement with Tops supermarkets here and you can pretty much buy most key Waitrose products at Tops, there's probably no point to this exercise.

the point of the exercise it would help him get over the initial shock.

eg.branston pickle uk.eq.85bht. thailand 350bht.w00t.gif

On my return trips to the UK I load up with Branston Pickle, Mango Chutney (Sharwoods and Geeta's), lawn weedkiller, chickpea flour (for making bhaji), Bazooka (for treating warts/verrucas), harissa, a bottle of Pineau des Charentres, Coleman's mustard powder, Spanish smoked paprika, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, extra large condoms, and that's about it. Hope I haven't shared too much.

• Like 2

the point of the exercise it would help him get over the initial shock.

eg.branston pickle uk.eq.85bht. thailand 350bht.w00t.gif

Really? I thought that I saw it the other day in Rimping, Chiang Mai for 185 Baht.......

.........or was it 265 Baht........certainly not 350 Baht.

Edited by uptheos

I would bring some rhubarb - preserved, dried or canned, treacle (both unavailable), mince meat (3 quid a jar here and only Waitrose available), Xmas pudding is way overpriced, vanilla pods if u want to cook with them - available but expensive, pure licorice pellets (only sweets with limited availability here). Suet and lard - well, I am from Yorkshire - just love tucking into big lumps of lard. Home brew kits don't exist but lager is good anyway. As you can see, I cook desserts a lot!

I cannot find powder her that cleans the sinks etc. When I left England in 1970 it had a trade name called Mirror. It is a white fine powder that cleans bench tops, Stainless sinks and suchlike items.

You can buy similar in Villa market - it's called steel cleaner.

Marmite and Weetabix or Waitrose equiv.

Cheaper of course if you go to Costco Wholesale www.costco.co.uk where you can buy a 1KG tub of Marmite enabling survival in Thailand for a year.

Tops sells Weetabix and also the ozzie vegemite, although some say nothing good ever came out of Oz.

Edited by Card

Marmite and Weetabix or Waitrose equiv.

Cheaper of course if you go to Costco Wholesale www.costco.co.uk where you can buy a 1KG tub of Marmite enabling survival in Thailand for a year.

Tops sells Weetabix and also the ozzie vegemite, although some say nothing good ever came out of Oz.

Cherry Blossom is cheaper and better. biggrin.png

Return ticket! You're not gonna like it here mate. Thailand (or at least the Sin City) is full of your Pommie criminals on the run!

Whinge, whinge, whinge - that's all Ozzies ever do. Well... apart from playing lousy cricket. Oh and other sports when not on the pills.

• Like 2

The only things I tend to stick in the suitcase when flying back and forth is...

HP sauce in the squeezable bottles. - Yes - you can get HP here easily enough, but only in the glass bottles - and it's pretty expensive.

Branston Pickle - again, it's a LOT cheaper in the UK, and you can get the plastic bottles (better for shipping) - also Branston isn't as easy to find as HP is here. (I've occasionally bought Del Monte sweet pickle here from "gourmet market", which tastes similar to Branston, at least when used in a cheese and pickle sandwich biggrin.png , but is green rather than brown...)

Chutney would probably be a similar purchase if you eat it regularly, although I'm not a fan of putting glass jars in my suitcase.

As others have said, a lot of Waitrose stuff is available here (from Tops Market), particularly the frozen foods.

• Like 1