Galaxy S4 vs. Galaxy S4 Mini

rishi

I'm now in for my first smartphone with closest previous experiences dating back to the days when PDAs were the state of mobile art. I started some serious research mid-July, reading reviews, studying spec-comparisons and touring shops, and soon narrowed down to Samsungs Galaxy S4 models and am firm on that decision (provided I can have a black one). In July only the standard S4 was readily available in Thailand while the Mini and a model called S4 Active was in the process of being rolled out in a number of countries. The S4 Active is a bit thicker but otherwise of same size as the standard model. It differs a bit in some specs and according to reviews is more "sturdy" and targeted the outdoor or sports crowd.

I assumed it would just be a matter of time before the other models would hit Thailand, and wasn't in any hurry, so since smaller size has some advantages and I allo liked the idea of sturdiness I gave it some time and had almost settled on the Mini. I have been proven right with respect to the Mini. Two weeks ago I saw it one place and this week they are everywhere. But I haven't seen the S4 Active. I've only been looking somewhat off-center central Bangkok and one of my questions is wether anyone have seen it downtown - or elsewhere in Bangkok?

Well, now to my main reason for posting. I was almost settled on the Mini, but now that I don't have more excuses for postphoning the buy and have had the chance to compare the Mini and the Standard side by side in real life, I have become indecisive. The 8000 Baht price-difference is about my least concern provided the extra kicks are worth it. And it's a matter of "kicks" more than a matter of exact specs. The Mini's camera is poorer, but I couldn't care less. The Mini's CPU is also less powerful, but it is still more powerful than the one in my four year old Netbook, which handles all my computer nedds to my full satisfaction. No sense in paying extra for something that won't have any other practical effect than stressing the fact that the only bottle-necks are my own brain-functions and speed of blinking the eyes.

On the bottom-line stands that my indecision are almost exclusively about sizes. The Mini's display is 4.3" and the Standard's is 5.0" (Overall dimensions: 124,6 x 61,3 x 8,9 vs. 136,6 x 69,8 x 7,9). On one hand the expirence with the larger display can't but be better, but on the other hand the smaller dimension is more handy and also looks a bit smarter if you are just making a phone-call. Guess if you are always wearing a bag or a jacket, the Standard seems the better choise, but I'm not always wearing a bag or jacket.

I think that what I'm after is other guys' views having had experiences with both options (i.e. 4.x" vs. 5.x" displays) - be it as subjective as it may be. Since it's mainly about sizes, I guess any experiense with any brands or models would do as well as far as this goes. Would not mind anyone's comment regarding anything else of relevance for the S4's of course.

The wife and I both have Samsung S4's...absolutely love them. We moved up from Samsung Ace 2's which had a 3.8" screen size. While the S4 initially felt BIG to me when holding it in my hand and especially when in my pants pocket, within days it was significantly smaller and within 2 weeks it felt just fine in my hand and pants pocket. Amazing how things get smaller after you used them a little.

And we really love the larger 5" screen. Beautiful screen on the S4...not just for the retina resolution but things just look better on a 5" screen compared to a screen around 4"...that extra one inch makes a big difference...and it's one fast machine.

Sounds like you are really torn between the S4 and S4 Mini...which probably means you end-up always being a little dissatisfied if you buy the S4 Mini.

You've probably done this already but you can easily compare all the specs of the two machines in a side by side comparison chart at the GSM Arena web site. Hopefully the link I just gave will pull up the two phones in a comparison chart.

Edited by Pib

Go for a larger screen mate, I've got an PS2 which is 4.3" and it did feel a little too big initially. It was one if the largest screens on a market at the time but soon after G Note came out, I was sorry I didn't wait a month longer. Now I'm waiting for the Note 3 which is supposed to be almost 6".

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thank you for the replies. The comment about pants-pocket feeling, I find particularly useful because that was the one thing I didn't dare check in the shops. Could well become the decisive factor.

Regarding LTE - I wonder if one has any choise given it is going to be bought in Bangkok and preferably this month? - I know that both models are produced in both 3G and 4G versions but despite my extensive shop-tours and ad-readings, they allways have the excact same price-tag and I have seen no mentioning of anything beyond 3G. --- Wouldn't mind to learn if someone has seen the LTE-version, somewhere?

Go for a larger screen mate, I've got an PS2 which is 4.3" and it did feel a little too big initially. It was one if the largest screens on a market at the time but soon after G Note came out, I was sorry I didn't wait a month longer. Now I'm waiting for the Note 3 which is supposed to be almost 6".

Agree with that. Bought an S4 Mini because of it's convenient size but the screen is just frustrating.

I would go for a small 'dumb' Nokia for regular calls and a Samsung 10.1 Note for internet on the move.

buy htc 1 u fool.

btw, you need to remember you are not buying the phone for now but for a couple of years from now where earlier technology will be struggling w9th new innovations in software.

bigger processing power is better.

Thank you for the replies. The comment about pants-pocket feeling, I find particularly useful because that was the one thing I didn't dare check in the shops. Could well become the decisive factor.

Regarding LTE - I wonder if one has any choise given it is going to be bought in Bangkok and preferably this month? - I know that both models are produced in both 3G and 4G versions but despite my extensive shop-tours and ad-readings, they allways have the excact same price-tag and I have seen no mentioning of anything beyond 3G. --- Wouldn't mind to learn if someone has seen the LTE-version, somewhere?

MSN Telecom. Mbk. And on Facebook.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

I have both s4 and s4 mini.

I would say the s4 is obviously better but an average user certainly don't need it. It depends on your preference and what you are going to use it for. The s4 has a smaller screen but still big enough and lower resolution but it still displays so many colors that the human eye cannot detect so dont worry about it. The hardware of the s4 is second to none, octa core processor and stuff like that. The s4 mini specs are of course somewhat different but the point is, it is still a powerful device that suits most users needs. The price difference is some 7000thb, pay it if you really need one of the best phones on the market now otherwise its not necessary.

Sent from one of my devices using the internet

If you get the S4 make sure it is the LTE version. Then its ready for 4g.

Yeah yeah, 4G in Thailand "pigs will be flying before they get 4G"

They have 4g already. In some parts of Bkk and Swampy airport on True.

I believe you would need the I9505, or I9505G (Play Store) variants in order to work on TrueMove H 2100 MHz LTE today. TrueMove H is supposedly expanding their LTE to ~ 13 provincial capitals by December of this year.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh4g#pane04

This model would also support LTE 1800, which is what LTE is likely to be deployed on here. DTAC does have a lot 1800 MHz spectrum until 2018, so they could easily offer LTE sooner rather than later.

Go for the regular size. You will regret the mini, because of its general lower specs. The bigger screen makes a lot of difference when browsing the web, reading etc.

I've been debating this same question and have decided to go for the big one. Its the cargo shorts problem that clinched it.

I have a small, 3 year old Nokia that is an adventure to try and dig out of my shorts pocket-especially on a baht bus. I tried

the S4 in my pocket and it feels good-not too big, not too small.

There's also the adage I use when buying a TV, which is applicable here, as well. Get the biggest screen you can afford and

have room for. If you don't, in a year you will be kicking yourself for not doing it.

Agree with another post that says S3 is the way to go. Bought one for the wife yesterday at MBK for THB 11,000 including screen protector and case.

As for size in the pocket I carry it in my front pocket in all my pants, jeans, and shorts. The size doesn't bother me one bit

Thanks to everybody who has posted. Any indecision has now vanished and I'll go for the standard S4. The Mini has an edge regarding handyness, but the S4 has an edge with respect to everything else and since it fits well enough in a pocket, it's size isn't any drawback - if it fits, no reason to want anything smaller. I'll spend a day downtown, check the mentioned SLT's price at MBK and then visit the various malls along the skytrain. They know that a large segment of their customers are short-time visitors who will go back to countries where G4 is today's standard. If I don't find any G4 / SLT there I'd suspect it's because Samsung doesn't yet ship it to Thailand and I would therefore be too suspicious about anything in MBK. 4G isn't that important to me anyway - won't be changing download habits just because I can.

iPhone5? - Not a chance! - I started up in July with absolutely no preference for any brand. My only experience with Samsung was a MP3 player that stopped working after 3 years for no particular reason. Common consensus among reviewers was that S4 felt and looked "cheaper" than iPhone5, but standing with one of each in hands, they both looked and felt about same price to me. As for the technical details, the reviews had a few cons and pros on either side - nothing decisive there and nothing decisive in detailed spec lists neither. - However, Samsung uses Android and Android is opensource - iPhone's OS isn't. Having recently retired from 25 years of software-development, I surely do appreciate opensource because I might want to look into apps-development just for the try. - So, all Apple and Windows devices lost out big time already at square one due to the closedness of their OS.

Galaxy S3 ? - I don't doubt it is a powerful machine that would have met all my requirements if I had set my budget at e.g. 15,000 Baht - which I would if I hadn't found any reason to set it higher. However, saying that S4 isn't any better than S3 doesn't hold. - Some highlights (S3 vs. S4):

Main camera: 8 Mp vs. 13 Mp; Battery: 2100 mAh vs. 2600 mAh; Screen: 4.8" vs. 5.0" (despite S4's overall dimensions being 0.8 mm narrower); Display: 1280x720 pixels vs. 1920x1080 pixels. The S4's CPU and chipset are also noticable better than S3's according to consensus among reviewers, but I am unfamilar with those specs. Each of these items is something that does matter. Surely, I'm sure we could all survive happily for a couple of years without any of these extras, but Samsung isn't pulling anyones legs by charging extra for them.

One last question for anyone who may know: I am familiar with the codes I9500 vs. I9505 but haven't seen them on the casings. Where does one easiest find them?

The phone codes are found within the OS. Go to settings and then About device.

Yes while the S4 has better specs the much cheaper price of the S3 has the best bang for your baht. If the currently available S4 supported LTE and the extra ~9K is thought as trivial then S4 it would be.

Where does one easiest find them?

On the outside of the faux-wood box, there is a bar-code and label where the model no. is displayed, along with the THL designation.

I'd recommend the I9500 as 3G is fine - LTE benefits the service provider as much or more than the consumer, yields a slight increase in speed along with a hotter unit which drains the battery faster, and the specs are a bit better than with the I9505.