Rice Pudding

worgeordie

I love a creamy rice pudding,I used to buy 1Kg bags of Japanese rice,

as Thai long grain rice is no good for making rice puddings,but I have

not seen any of the 1Kg bags lately,or does anyone know of any other

suitable rice.thats available in CNX

Plenty of sago to get ,just made a sago pudding yesterday,if your from

the UK and my generation,you will remember it been called Frogs spawn

when it was ladled out at the school dinners, cheap and filling !

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

Yum; my Mrs is very good at making Frog Spawn but i've yet to taste a decent rice pudding in Thailand....apart from the tins of Ambrosia i bring back from Blighty occasionally. I made a nice jam sponge pudding and custard last evening but not quite the same without Atora in the mix though.

I love a creamy rice pudding,I used to buy 1Kg bags of Japanese rice,

as Thai long grain rice is no good for making rice puddings,but I have

not seen any of the 1Kg bags lately,or does anyone  know of any other

suitable rice.thats available in CNX

Plenty of sago to get ,just made a sago pudding yesterday,if your from

the UK and my generation,you will remember it been called Frogs spawn 

when it was ladled out at the school dinners, cheap and filling !

regards Worgeordie

Ambrosia creamed rice the original cream Rice all the way from Devon.

You could put a dollop of Jam on top.

What's not to like.:P

• Like 1

Brilliant - well done Geordie for the nostalgia. Sago, creamed rice puddings, treacle tart and some real custard. My old mum used to make a rice pudding that went in the oven with milk and I remember we always argued who got the "skin". Her bread and butter puddings were fantastic.

I bet the kids don't get puddings like these anymore!

• Like 1

Back in the days when I was wed my old Ma came out for a visit and she hated Thailand like no one I had ever seen.

One day she decided to introduce some civilisation and make a Rice Pudding.

Total disaster, I never knew you needed a certain type of rice.

I miss a decent rice pud and tried the small Butter is Better's pud, pricy, nice but nothing special.

I once found 3 cans of Ambrosia creamed rice in Tops, never before or since.

Luckily the Father of a friend brings me 2 or 3 when he visits for Christmas so it does make my festive season.

john

Now hows about a thread on Babies Yeads, or the all time Brit favourite Fish & Chips.

English school dinners - the caustic smell of the shepherd's pie from the school kitchen still gives me nightmares.

And I was force fed my last dish of sago pudding in 1972 by a sadistic woman teacher who firmly believed in the waste not want not theory.

Brilliant - well done Geordie for the nostalgia. Sago, creamed rice puddings, treacle tart and some real custard. My old mum used to make a rice pudding that went in the oven with milk and I remember we always argued who got the "skin". Her bread and butter puddings were fantastic.

I bet the kids don't get puddings like these anymore!

Don't forget semolina. All great when mum made them but when served at school...... none of my memories of school dinners are good. Our Headmaster use to walk around with a bowl of very fatty tough meat, chewing away trying to encourage us to eat it. Just after the war so I suppose he appreciated the end of rationing. Some good memories though, many thanks.

Any one seen Semolina being made ?

Many years ago I was up country in Brunei on the border with Indonesia in a small riverside kampong and they where making semolina.

A large wooden disk say 2 ft dia was loaded with six inch nails pointing through.

Imagine a dart board with a spiky front.

This was rotated and a log say a foot dia was fed into it quite slowly. The log was of the consistency of Balsa wood and was shredded on the rotating spiked disk.

The shreds where then placed into a large circular reed mat and water was flowed over while a local treaded the shreds, much as in grapes & wine making.

The 'Mess' that collected below was then drained and dried and semolina was the result.

Hated it in school meals and have never considered it it since.

john

Any one seen Semolina being made ?

Many years ago I was up country in Brunei on the border with Indonesia in a small riverside kampong and they where making semolina.

A large wooden disk say 2 ft dia was loaded with six inch nails pointing through.

Imagine a dart board with a spiky front.

This was rotated and a log say a foot dia was fed into it quite slowly. The log was of the consistency of Balsa wood and was shredded on the rotating spiked disk.

The shreds where then placed into a large circular reed mat and water was flowed over while a local treaded the shreds, much as in grapes & wine making.

The 'Mess' that collected below was then drained and dried and semolina was the result.

Hated it in school meals and have never considered it it since.

john

Nah, semolina is a wheat product..... sounds more like you saw tapioca,, (manioc or casava) being processed, that is where "fish spawn" comes from, the starch is rolled into lil balls and dried, cooked into pudding later.