Any updates into taking motorbike into Cambodia ?

Billpro785

You need a motor vehicle passport for the bike and full Cambodian insurance . It's got another name "Carnet de Passage" and someone told me you can go to immigration and get it. When others post we will both know if that's correct!

They don't issue vehicle passports for motorcycles. Not sure about Cambodia, I've only taken my motorcycle into Laos and all that was needed was the green book. You can buy insurance after you cross the border but not sure if it's compulsery or not. I would like to know how it works out for you since I'm planning on doing the same thing at some point. Good luck.

I did this about 7 weeks ago. All I needed was my Greendbook, (yes, it must be in your name), and your passport. Very easy. There is a form that they fill out, and it did not cost anything. No one said a word about Cambodian insurance, but looking back, it might not be a bad idea. For the Visa, they asked 1200 baht, for pictures and Visa. I told them I had pictures and they said 1000 baht. Only $20 if you purchase it at a Cambodian Consulate. There is one in Ngop, in South Thailand. Check their hours though. I took a 115cc Yamaha into Koh Kong, up to Phnom Penh, then up to Battenbang, then back into Thailand. Don't know if I recommend it though. You can ride for 9 hours and then realize that you have not passed one place to get a flat fixed, or a motel room. Other than that, and despite their poor roads in South Cambodia, I had a ball. 1500 km in 10 days.

Just be advised, you can not ride a motorbike in Cambodia during the day with your lights on. The police will pull you over. Either install an on-off switch before you go, or be prepared to tape newspapers over your headlights.

Well that cleared that up!

"Just be advised, you can not ride a motorbike in Cambodia during the day with your lights on. The police will pull you over. Either install an on-off switch before you go, or be prepared to tape newspapers over your headlights." That seems like a funny rule!

Well that cleared that up!

"Just be advised, you can not ride a motorbike in Cambodia during the day with your lights on. The police will pull you over. Either install an on-off switch before you go, or be prepared to tape newspapers over your headlights." That seems like a funny rule!

I could not agree more. I am unsure of their reasoning on this. The Cambodians I talked to said that Cambodia doesn't even mind if a motorbike leaves its light off at night while driving.

It was the same in thailand, they only changed it some years ago.

the reason was to prevent accidents, it was and still is widely believed that ghosts

will take offense from having the light switched on

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 1

Well came back today from Cambodia. Was very easy to do. Thought I would post step by step info for anyone else.( At Hat Hek crossing )

A Park bike on Thai side and with your green book and passport head to window number 2 on the Arrival building ( building on right side looking towards Cambodia)

B At window 2 the girl will print some forms for you to sign and the charge is 6 BHT

C Take the forms and your passport and stamp out of Thailand ( building across from arrivals)

D With the forms from window 2, go to customs and present your paperwork. Customs office you will sign a book, and they will give you a copy of the customs form, which you will need to get the bike back into Thailand. Walk your bike to the gate and give them the card and your done !! Took about 10 minutes for everything .

In Cambodia no paperwork is need for the bike. Get your visa and go.

To get the bike back into Thailand ,

Go to window 2 and show them the customs form. Stamp back into Thailand and with the present the customs form at the customs office. Walk the bike back into Thailand.

Have heard about the daytime headlights with the police. Had no issues. In fact, had a great time !! If you take your motorbike , YOU MUST go the the waterfalls 15KM from Koh Kong. Great day to spend the day , you can go swimming at the top and below the falls.