How I can get a Social Security # for my Thai wife?

In order for your Thai wife to be eligible for any benefits - whether spousal or survivor - if she is not a US citizen - she must have lived in the US as your wife or widow for a minimum of 5 years. They do not have to be consecutive years, just total at least 5 years. And, during those years she must not be single, unless she is your widow, or married to someone else.

Be careful about electing to file a joint US tax return with her. Doing so can save a few dollars in the short run but cast big bucks in future years. Joint returns are a option, not a requirement, and, once made can be difficult to reverse. Such an election is binding until you make an affirmative election to cancel.

Why is this important? Because making the election is choosing to make her taxable in the US as if she were a resident or citizen - taxable on her world-wide income. If, at a later date, she has income in Thailand, it will be taxed in the US where, if you do not make the election, she has no tax obligation.

I think the correct question is why do you want a SSN for her.

As said she cannot get one unless she obtains US residency.

She can get a taxpayer number.

To file US taxes with her as non resident alien may not need one. Unless she gets residency she would not be obligated to pay US taxes.

Edited by ubonjoe

U can't. U can get her an ITIN number. SSN #'s are for people who immiggrate to the USA via a visa and then get a card.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not entirely true, as many 'temporary residents' have applied and received SSNs - often, the only ID required is a DL.

In order for your Thai wife to be eligible for any benefits - whether spousal or survivor - if she is not a US citizen - she must have lived in the US as your wife or widow for a minimum of 5 years. They do not have to be consecutive years, just total at least 5 years. And, during those years she must not be single, unless she is your widow, or married to someone else.

Be careful about electing to file a joint US tax return with her. Doing so can save a few dollars in the short run but cast big bucks in future years. Joint returns are a option, not a requirement, and, once made can be difficult to reverse. Such an election is binding until you make an affirmative election to cancel.

Why is this important? Because making the election is choosing to make her taxable in the US as if she were a resident or citizen - taxable on her world-wide income. If, at a later date, she has income in Thailand, it will be taxed in the US where, if you do not make the election, she has no tax obligation.

I have doubts about this, as the US taxable minimums are quite high - as compared to most of the world, which is less than $8000 (US)

REF: https://encrypted.google.com/#q=world+average+income AND http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2006/MateNagy.shtml

I think the correct question is why do you want a SSN for her. As said she cannot get one unless she obtains US residency. She can get a taxpayer number. To file US taxes with her as non resident alien may not need one. Unless she gets residency she would not be obligated to pay US taxes.

SSN eventually allows application for benefits should she ever visit the USA.

YES, the extended requirements for Visas, Residency, & SSN are all in response to illegals, who do not care about Visas, Residency or legality with SSNs...

HMMM - Sounds like Thailand, where severe immigration restrictions impede western foreigners, when they are designed to limit the poor from nearby countries - i.e. Rohyngas, Phillipinos, Indians, etc.

Reminds me of US Gun Control, which punishes citizens when a criminal commits a crime...

See this webpage for requirements to get a SSN as a non US citizen. http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

For getting a ITIN: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Taxpayer-Identification-Numbers-(TIN)

Also info that indicates that a non resident dependent would need one in order to claim them on your taxes.

There is more information about getting an ITEN # in other threads. When I filed my US taxes last year, I filled out the forms to get the ITEN number and included her passport and sent it all to the US. The IRS then mailed her passport back a few weeks later and she had an ITEN #. You use that to file a joint return, leave it blank the first year.

A couple of considerations: 1. If you want to keep more than $10k over here, you'll have to declare that and get taxed on interest or pay a significant fine if the IRS finds out. You could avoid all that by just putting money in a wife's savings account. Now, you can still probably do that if she has an ITEN because the Thai bank isn't going to report anything about a Thai citizen to the US. Why would they?

2. Figure your taxes filing jointly and a singly. You may find it just isn't worth it to have her involved in your taxes and jumping through the IRS hoops and it gives you some flexibility with keeping more money in LOS.

For me it was worth $200 in less tax being paid (I paid nothing) filing jointly so, it was worth it.

There is more information about getting an ITEN # in other threads. When I filed my US taxes last year, I filled out the forms to get the ITEN number and included her passport and sent it all to the US. The IRS then mailed her passport back a few weeks later and she had an ITEN #. You use that to file a joint return, leave it blank the first year.

A couple of considerations: 1. If you want to keep more than $10k over here, you'll have to declare that and get taxed on interest or pay a significant fine if the IRS finds out. You could avoid all that by just putting money in a wife's savings account. Now, you can still probably do that if she has an ITEN because the Thai bank isn't going to report anything about a Thai citizen to the US. Why would they?

2. Figure your taxes filing jointly and a singly. You may find it just isn't worth it to have her involved in your taxes and jumping through the IRS hoops and it gives you some flexibility with keeping more money in LOS.

For me it was worth $200 in less tax being paid (I paid nothing) filing jointly so, it was worth it.

I am retired, my income is very low, not taxable, but I want my wife to get some money from the SS if I die. Do you think that including her in my taxes with a INN number, and like a dependent, will help her to get my retirement later?

I am retired, my income is very low, not taxable, but I want my wife to get some money from the SS if I die. Do you think that including her in my taxes with a INN number, and like a dependent, will help her to get my retirement later?

Unless they change the law she can only be eligible for survivor benefits if she has residency in the US for a total of five years.

It's the same my wife. She will get nothing.