Chiang Mai Wedding Next Year advice

jackstar00

Hi Guys,

I'm based in Australia but have been to Chiang Mai several times in the last few years and basically have fallen in love with this city.

I recently got engaged and my partner and i would love to hold our wedding for approx 30-40 people in Chiang Mai next year.

We've previously stayed at The Chedi before and thought this would be a beautiful venue but we've also come across 137 Pillars (we will be staying here for a few days next month) and it seemed more intimate in terms of the setting.

Has anyone had any experience with this hotel for this type of special event?. or are there any other venues worth visting ( based on a party of 30-40 people).

Also, since i am based in Aus i've decided to look for a wedding planner to help with just organising photographers, entertainment, hotels etc. Does anyone have any recommendation with any good english speaking wedding planners based in Chiang Mai?.

Thank You!

Ehm.......have a look at the Xanadu Roof Top Bar and Restaurant on top of the Furama Hotel. There's two sections to it, there's the Xanadu Bar, and there's the 360 one level up. The Xanadu would hold double that amount easy, and in case the weather turns against you, there's also an air conditioned restaurant area.

I haven't been to the 360 section for a few months but from memory it would hold 30-40 people no problem too. Here's my thinking, the rooftop gives a spectacular view of Doi Suthep at dusk, and if the weather and clouds are in a good mood that will be a spectacular back drop for you. After dark you get an amazing nighttime view of the city too.

I'm pretty certain you would be able to reserve the 360 for a private party. you would need to ask re the Xanadu.

1017002_1414461235442490_1645190471_n.jp

Maybe not perfect but certainly worth a look, and even if you end up just going along for a meal to have a look you won't regret it.

• Like 2

Hey, Not sure about her English abilities, but Iris Florist was both my wedding planner and my florist.

http://www.iris-florist.com/?page_id=200 Picture 1 and 3 are actually of my wedding at Kao Mai Lanna resort out in Hang Dong / Sanpatong. We picked this location over a Hotel because the resort was beautiful. I think we looked at the Chedi, but renting out the resort ended up being cheaper, but we had well over 150 people come.

She also handled all the cards etc etc.

Hey, Not sure about her English abilities, but Iris Florist was both my wedding planner and my florist.

http://www.iris-florist.com/?page_id=200 Picture 1 and 3 are actually of my wedding at Kao Mai Lanna resort out in Hang Dong / Sanpatong. We picked this location over a Hotel because the resort was beautiful. I think we looked at the Chedi, but renting out the resort ended up being cheaper, but we had well over 150 people come.

She also handled all the cards etc etc.

If that's not a wedding planner, then I don't know what is.

Just have the ceremony in Australia and then throw a party in CNX.

Don't risk being ripped-off by anyone, EVEN the Farang who often out to make a quick buck. Not all of them, I hasten to mention but do take care, as you don't want to start off married life with a bad taste in your mouth and a hole in your bank account.

This sounds off the wall but TV member 8milesfromhome may be an excellent choice for the video. The quality of their work is superb and you may well end up with a really special video, if you allow them a bit of leeway.

There's no guarantee they would do it though. I think worth asking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QolLcCP7csw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUj6JcSZ3Hg&list=TL2T-DSQduZr2Itm8Ay_vK_9xEx7X0ZTQS

For photos/video you could try this guy Aun

He did my wedding back in the UK, but has returned to BKK now - has an extensive portfolio in fashion/entertainment but does a good wedding package

a mix of traditional and quirky/arthouse

Say Duncan recommended him to you.

The Chedi is very nice, gorgeous place. But with 30-40 guests you will need to be prepared

for a rather expensive affair.

A friend just had a garden wedding done by Thailandweddings.com. I attended, it was held in

a beautiful place in Sankampaeng, 30 minutes east of Chiang Mai city. The package price

included wedding apparel for bride and groom, the flowers, the music, the photographers,

meals for bride, groom and all guests. It was done in late afternoon so after the ceremony

we all launched the big paper lanterns. It was a fabulous wedding ceremony.

They over various wedding packages at various prices, which you can find on their website.

Would highly recommend this organization.

Edited by BradinAsia

Had the big day for my daughter.

She had to have an elephant with colorful villagers? dancing and of coarse she needed a string quartet. Dhara Dhevi Hotel was the place. They did do a excellent wedding. One of a very few places in that can do a proper cake. The cost was nuts but I only have the one girl.

• Like 2

thanks everyone you have all been amazing!!.

I'll look into all of those recommendations suggested above. We've started to get the ball rolling and getting pricing from hotels with their packages and menu offerings. I know there is probably not much of a right/wrong answer here but are is there usually much room for negotiations with wedding venues and meals ?. If so, would it be approx 20-30% off the list price?. would that be what i should aim for?.

Reason i ask is we have family in Bangkok who usually gets us rooms at Pathumwan Princess and the discount can be up to 50% off rack rates!. I know this is slightly a bit different but it's also common knowledge that prices for foreigners are signicantly increased once they know where you are from =)

thanks everyone you have all been amazing!!.

I'll look into all of those recommendations suggested above. We've started to get the ball rolling and getting pricing from hotels with their packages and menu offerings. I know there is probably not much of a right/wrong answer here but are is there usually much room for negotiations with wedding venues and meals ?. If so, would it be approx 20-30% off the list price?. would that be what i should aim for?.

Reason i ask is we have family in Bangkok who usually gets us rooms at Pathumwan Princess and the discount can be up to 50% off rack rates!. I know this is slightly a bit different but it's also common knowledge that prices for foreigners are signicantly increased once they know where you are from =)

Also TASTE THE HOTEL'S FOOD

Many hotels here put out garbage for large functions and their premade decorations are tacky, another reason we went with a resort and Khun Saa from Iris

thanks guys.. i'll send Iris an email.

Do you have any recommendation on a videographer/photographer?.

We are looking at hiring a jazz band but have no idea where to start!

Jack, it mostly depends on your budget.

If your budget is 100,000 to 120,000 baht, the Chedi and several other 5-star hotels in Chiang Mai

can do a real nice wedding for you and your 30-40 guests. However, that would likely not include

the photographer, nor videographer.

Last week, my friend did a deluxe wedding package with Thailandweddings.com in Chiang Mai. He

paid 69,000 baht total for the package. This included airport pickup/drop-off, all transportation from

guest house for all guests to and from the wedding venue, plus the entire wedding ceremony and

great food, also the photographer and videographer, all in a beautiful garden location.

They've been doing weddings in Chiang Mai for 20 years and they did a nice wedding for my friend.

You might want to check out their website: Thailandweddings.com.

Edited by BradinAsia