Our sick cat

Our spayed female, approximately 13 -14 yo and in otherwise good health, has a repetitive problem with her respiratory system. I'd describe the symptoms as being as if she had a cold, with nasal discharge, occasionally with blood. Appetite remains good, weight is normal, and she still likes to play - fur and skin condition remain good. She now spends around 1 week in 4 at the vet where she gets antibiotic injections and nose/eye drops. When we get her back, she's OK for a while, but then she gets poorly again within a couple of weeks.

Any ideas on what else we should or could try? All her feline injections are up to date.

Thanks, Sheryl - feline runny nose was the first thing that came up on that site. We're based in Lahansai, which is close to Nangrong (Buriram). I think our vet, though kind and well-meaning, lacks the ability for in-depth diagnostics and would therefore be grateful to learn of any nearby vet facility that might offer a fuller diagnostic service.

We today took her to the University Animal Hospital at Khon Kaen, (a hard 554km round trip), where her blood was tested and she was x-rayed. Seems there's some sort of growth in her nasal passages which they think might be cured with capsules, (once a day), which seem to contain tiny round balls, but I can't be specific on the actual med. Now we have to figure out how to get those down her throat - she won't abide pills. Apparently, the medication cannot be given via an injection, (which she will tolerate). Anyone have a surefire method of getting capsules down a cat's throat?

a sick cat in isaan? thats a bit diffrent than the usual buffalo...

just joking.

I can remember my parents had lots of cats and we had 1 who did not like this either. usually I locked the cat in my legs hold the head and put a bit pressure on the side of the jaws. then she have to open her mouth and trow the pill far in. just check the first few minutes if she not trows it up somewhere cheeky. and have some nice milk ready ;) also better to not do it yourselfe cause they will remember it for a couple of days.

other options is to smash the pill and mix it with a drink or food but this cn affect the strenght of the medication

We today took her to the University Animal Hospital at Khon Kaen, (a hard 554km round trip), where her blood was tested and she was x-rayed. Seems there's some sort of growth in her nasal passages which they think might be cured with capsules, (once a day), which seem to contain tiny round balls, but I can't be specific on the actual med. Now we have to figure out how to get those down her throat - she won't abide pills. Apparently, the medication cannot be given via an injection, (which she will tolerate). Anyone have a surefire method of getting capsules down a cat's throat?

I first would try it in food or drink (as Marcel1 said), something your cat really LOVES; open the capsule and mix the content with (little) food or drink, then offer this to your cat. (and do loads of prayers).

If your prayers aren't heard, then you can try to put the content in a little bit of liquid (water, tuna water, milk, chicken broth), put in syringe, and spritz that into cats mouth.

If that doesn't work .... I feel for you. ;)

It is never easy, cats are far harder than dogs for this.

Options are:

1. there are plastic devices you can get from most vets that help, sort of long plastic tubes with a plunger that help to get the medicine far back in the cat's throat, if you then quickly squeeze her mouth shut and blow into her nose she may swallow it. Insert through the side of the mouth, there is usually a space you can get through even with her mouth clenched.

I attach a picture of one such, there are several varieties. I have gotten them at pet shops and from vets in Thailand.

post-14639-0-24550500-1379567887.jpg

Other options:

2. Open the capsule and mix it with a really favorite food, be sure to not have too high a concentration of it as she'll refuse it if she can taste it. So may need to do it in several stages. Don't be too obvious about wanting her to eat it, act like it is you doing her a favor and you could care less if she takes it. may or may not work.

3. All else fails, make it into a paste and smear it on her fur, she will lick it off. Need to watch though that she doesn't then spit it out.

Thanks for those suggestions. We did try the plastic pill placer device and were congratulating ourselves on a job well done. And then, ptui, she spat it out and sneered at us. Next step is to try dissolving the capsule contents in milk/tuna water and see if she'll accept that. Failing that, she's partial to butter, so maybe Sheryl's suggestion might work.

Stay tuned for more.......

Edited by richardjm65

I tried all and sundry over the years. They are sneaky little bastards. In the end, the best way was to be two people. Wrap her up in a towel, put the medication in a syringe and one person holds the mouth open and the other squirts it down.

Wear full body armour and don't be gentle. She will sulk for a while.

Or else disolve in water and rub on her fur, she will eventually lick it off.

The med capsules contain tiny round balls. I opened the capsules and tried crushing the contents but this resulted in shrapnel everywhere. I halved the capsule contents and tried to mix one half with a bit of milk, but they do not dissolve, so tried to crush them with a teaspoon and will see if she'll take that. The other half I mixed with a little butter - took about an hour to crush them into the butter but it was eventually smooth enough, though a bit gritty. This I spread on her paws, and as I post, she's busily licking that off. No trauma, no protests, no sulking or sneering, so perhaps a good result. We'll see if she takes the medicated milk tonight.

I hope it works. Wife and I come close to divorce whenever our joint efforts to get meds down the cat's throat fails, and we're both tired of the stress. Hope the butter idea helps other cat people.

The little multi-colored balls is an indication that they are coated to provide a timed release of medication over a period of time - crushing in food directly screws up the planned timed/dose-delivery.

The capsule gel is designed to dissolve in the stomach acids when food is present and so pass into the intestines in one fluid movement.

Taking such medication apart for your ease does not seem wise.

A towel wrapped cat with a thumb in the jaw to prevent biting while the capsule is pushed home, followed up with a small squirt of cod-liver oil etc via a no-needle syringe completes the task.

The little multi-colored balls is an indication that they are coated to provide a timed release of medication over a period of time - crushing in food directly screws up the planned timed/dose-delivery.

The capsule gel is designed to dissolve in the stomach acids when food is present and so pass into the intestines in one fluid movement.

Taking such medication apart for your ease does not seem wise.

A towel wrapped cat with a thumb in the jaw to prevent biting while the capsule is pushed home, followed up with a small squirt of cod-liver oil etc via a no-needle syringe completes the task.

Cuban, I take your point, and will try to call the hospital today to confirm that that is the case. The little balls in the capsule are all of one colour - white, and they're almost impossible to crush

As well as our own ease of med administration, it's also the cat's - she gets very distressed during the procedure. However, we have managed two days of dosage now, today's being eased slightly by smearing a little butter on the capsule, which seemed to lubricate its passage.

In the meantime, I'm sure that the wounds on my hands are merely superficial - no surgery or stitches required.

Edited by richardjm65