Multivitamins

groo

no joke: I just bought 3 liter orange juice and I will drink it now (not sure if I get some side effects (toilette)).

I found out, I always drink a lot in the evening, 3,4,5,6 0.66 liter bottle beer, if I drink something non alcohol, I drink the same (beside soda, it blows me up...).....

tomorrow I can tell if I get drunk from an overdose orange juice....

It has to be FRESSSSSSSSH orange juice. Store bought ain't gunna be fresh.

The vitamin C content in bottled juice will significantly diminish over a short period of time, particularly if stored at room temperature.

Customers never know where or how bottled juice was manufactured, transported and stored prior to being bought at the retail outlet.

Bottled orange juice arguably contains nothing but an orange flavour.

The same thing applies to freshly squeezed oranges. You need to drink it immediately to get the full benefit of the vitamins.

If you are serious about getting vitamin C from natural sources, you need to buy fresh fruit.

excuse me when I make a few small mistakes, it is a long time......

Normal orange juice has writing "from concentrate" that means:

you make first orange juice from squeezing oranges (for apples no squezzing at all is necessary you can make it with enzymatic methodes).

you heat it under vaccum to disable some proteins which can make it bitter

you wash out the flavor (might be already better methodes these days) and store at minus 70 degree

the rest you concentrate

store it

than

mix it again

you lost a bit aroma, so you add a bit oil from the skin of the orange

you lost the vit c, but you need it for your marketing department and as anti-oxidants

that means in the "normal" orange juice the vit c or part of it, does not come from the orange. You don't need to declare that, as you don't add extra vit c, you just bring it back to original state.

So Mighty: I only agree half, a fresh opend bottled orange juice contains a lot vit C, actually more than the oranges did.

But yes once opend it disappear it react with oxigen (can not spell it right that early in the morning)....

no joke: I just bought 3 liter orange juice and I will drink it now (not sure if I get some side effects (toilette)).

I found out, I always drink a lot in the evening, 3,4,5,6 0.66 liter bottle beer, if I drink something non alcohol, I drink the same (beside soda, it blows me up...).....

tomorrow I can tell if I get drunk from an overdose orange juice....

It has to be FRESSSSSSSSH orange juice. Store bought ain't gunna be fresh.

The vitamin C content in bottled juice will significantly diminish over a short period of time, particularly if stored at room temperature.

Customers never know where or how bottled juice was manufactured, transported and stored prior to being bought at the retail outlet.

Bottled orange juice arguably contains nothing but an orange flavour.

The same thing applies to freshly squeezed oranges. You need to drink it immediately to get the full benefit of the vitamins.

If you are serious about getting vitamin C from natural sources, you need to buy fresh fruit.

1: but if you don't eat well?

btw: human liver can not produce Vit C (at least I got theached so), but many pets can produce Vit C in the liver.

2: Vit A is dangerous, but you can not reach dangerous amounts with "normal" multivitamin tablets.

Everything fat soluble is different to get rid of for the body...

being a doc ..

1 - Vit supplement is not necessary if you eat well , its necessary for some conditions only (scavy , osteoperosis(A /D /Cal) vit deficiency (numb ,seizer..etc)..(sound like lack Vit B )

btw .. human 's liver can produce Vit B and C from liver

2 - alcohol from booz will kill germs ... hahahha

ps... fat soluble Vit as A D E K are hepato toxic

Some orange juice suppliers claim to flash pasteurize and bottle the juice from fresh oranges. They claim that this method is much better for retaining the vitamins as opposed to using concentrated orange products.

Frozen orange juice has around 78% for vitamin C, while canned orange juice has 69%. The reason for this is that vitamin C is destroyed when going through the condensing process. In the end, freshly squeezed orange juice is the best method of getting the highest intake of this vitamin.

Vitamin C is destroyed during the condensing process, but canning is even harder on vitamin C so fresh squeezed orange juice is better than either frozen concentrate or canned, but you can still obtain your daily requirements of vitamin C from any of these methods depending on the quantity you consume.

Vitamin C will be totally lost in foods if they are frozen for more than two months. You can realistically assume that you are losing a large proportion of vitamin C content each and every day of freezing.

There can also be large differences in the amount of vitamin C contained in fresh oranges. A lot depends on where they are grown and under what conditions. I won't try to debate the differences, otherwise this thread will go on forever. :o

Consumers can't track store bought juice as it travels from the orange grower, through the processing procedures, to the freezing and storage methods, and therefore consumers regard what is written on the bottle/can label as being accurate.

That is a big ask as far as I'm concerned.

A fresh orange can be inspected prior to buying it. If the skin is not ruptured, the vitamin C content is intact.

You need to decide why you are buying orange juice. If it is only for the taste, then bottled juice will be OK.

If it is for the maximum vitamin C content, then for me the choice is easy.....Fresh. :D

H90 is right - human liver can STORE vit C but not produce it (many pets can - which explains Bambina's info as she is a vet) - same for vit B; it can be STORED in the liver not produced. We CAN produce some vitamins (K,D comes to mind).

As to juices -MM is of course right that fresh is best (or the actual fruit) but my V8 or whatever often will have to do in my busy life...

Kat; yeah; I am a vitamin junkie... They don't call me MegaMan for nothing! :o

Cheers!

I almost agree, just:

concentrated or canned orange juice often hast more vit c than fresh one, because they add it, it is synthetic and does nto need to be printed on the packaging.

freezing, specially vaccum packed is the best methode to conservate vitamins.

There are methodes of "shock frosting" (not sure if it is called like that in english) and than vakuum packed, it can keep the vitamins for many years (also up to how cold you store it).

But no question: fresh from the tree is the best, everything else are tricks to reduce the damage....

Some orange juice suppliers claim to flash pasteurize and bottle the juice from fresh oranges. They claim that this method is much better for retaining the vitamins as opposed to using concentrated orange products.

Frozen orange juice has around 78% for vitamin C, while canned orange juice has 69%. The reason for this is that vitamin C is destroyed when going through the condensing process. In the end, freshly squeezed orange juice is the best method of getting the highest intake of this vitamin.

Vitamin C is destroyed during the condensing process, but canning is even harder on vitamin C so fresh squeezed orange juice is better than either frozen concentrate or canned, but you can still obtain your daily requirements of vitamin C from any of these methods depending on the quantity you consume.

Vitamin C will be totally lost in foods if they are frozen for more than two months. You can realistically assume that you are losing a large proportion of vitamin C content each and every day of freezing.

There can also be large differences in the amount of vitamin C contained in fresh oranges. A lot depends on where they are grown and under what conditions. I won't try to debate the differences, otherwise this thread will go on forever. :o

Consumers can't track store bought juice as it travels from the orange grower, through the processing procedures, to the freezing and storage methods, and therefore consumers regard what is written on the bottle/can label as being accurate.

That is a big ask as far as I'm concerned.

A fresh orange can be inspected prior to buying it. If the skin is not ruptured, the vitamin C content is intact.

You need to decide why you are buying orange juice. If it is only for the taste, then bottled juice will be OK.

If it is for the maximum vitamin C content, then for me the choice is easy.....Fresh. :D

I am not sure but I think the human liver can not store C, but it can A and E.

Therefore you should get vit C daily.

As for B: Vit B is complete unimportant, as you get hugh amounts daily due to the fact that it is in beer :o:D (just a joke).

H90 is right - human liver can STORE vit C but not produce it (many pets can - which explains Bambina's info as she is a vet) - same for vit B; it can be STORED in the liver not produced. We CAN produce some vitamins (K,D comes to mind).

As to juices -MM is of course right that fresh is best (or the actual fruit) but my V8 or whatever often will have to do in my busy life...

Kat; yeah; I am a vitamin junkie... They don't call me MegaMan for nothing! :D

Cheers!

H90; As you can see here: http://home.howstuffworks.com/vitamin-c.htm

Vitamin C is also stored in the liver.

(but taking it every day makes sense as we can not produce it).

Cheers!

I learned that it can not be stored.

I found: "No bodily organ stores mustard as a primary function, and so the body soon depletes itself of ascorbate if fresh supplies do not continue to arrive through the digestive system, eventually leading to death if unresolved." at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_c

But I am not 100 % sure what this sentence want to tell me.

Also I remember that diagrams in the Vit C promotion which shows a quick drop after eating competitors products because you can not store it and you just pee it out. While the amazing promoted product disolves slower and maintain a stable level. But it was promotion, no not sure....

To take multivitamines is much like swallowing a small steel nut and think you have covered your iron intake (a 5g piece of steel contains the daily recomended dose of iron for about 8 months).

Most vitamines and minerals require a number of enzymes, trace elements and other things to make it possible for the body to absorb them. Just because the label says the tablet contains 100% of the daily requirement does not mean that your body will actually be able to make use of 100% or even any of the mentioned vitamine or mineral.

The enzymes needed to absorb all the vitamines and minerals are available in the fresh food where these vitamines can be found. Cooking very quickly destroys these enzymes so fresh vegies and fruits are the best food.

If you don't have time to eat this I can not see how you can have time to eat at all.

• Haha 1

I recommend you read a bit about vit c at wikipedia.

No vit c and you get sick

synthetic pure vit c without enzymes and trace elements and you don't get these illness

The body can absorb it.

To take multivitamines is much like swallowing a small steel nut and think you have covered your iron intake (a 5g piece of steel contains the daily recomended dose of iron for about 8 months).

Most vitamines and minerals require a number of enzymes, trace elements and other things to make it possible for the body to absorb them. Just because the label says the tablet contains 100% of the daily requirement does not mean that your body will actually be able to make use of 100% or even any of the mentioned vitamine or mineral.

The enzymes needed to absorb all the vitamines and minerals are available in the fresh food where these vitamines can be found. Cooking very quickly destroys these enzymes so fresh vegies and fruits are the best food.

If you don't have time to eat this I can not see how you can have time to eat at all.

I said most vitamines and minerals not all.

Vitamine C is one that seems to be absobd on it's own.

I had a look at Wikipedia. There were several reports on harmful effects of vitamine C listed there so you can get sick from vitamine C.

Also, even with a vitamine like vitamine C that has been investigated by scientists to death by now we still don't have all the answers or know how it works. Just look at the recomended dosage, you have everyone from govenments to Nobel Price winners recomending anything from 40mg to 18000mg per day!!

The human body has evolved for 100,000's years to function the way it should by eating mainly raw fruits and vegetables for most of that time. To suddenly change that, because "you don't have time", and eat Mc Donalds and multivitamines will most likely not work.

Having said that, a multivitamine will probably not hurt you and could in some cases be useful but should never be a sustitute for a healthy diet.