Rental Properties In Pattaya

I hear a lot of negativity about buying condominiums in Thailand. The majority seem to feel the investment is not a good one, plus the risks of being a foreigner with little rights doesn't help.

Right now Pattaya seems to be booming. New beach condos are going up everywhere. But if you could rent a new beach condo, you could make more money than letting the money sit in a bank. Just a few months of income could earn you more than a typical 3% interest rate.

But what is the vacancy rate in Pattaya? Are there so many condos that it would most likely sit unoccupied? I would like to hear from someone with experience on this in Pattaya/Jomtien area.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

I hear a lot of negativity about buying condominiums in Thailand. The majority seem to feel the investment is not a good one, plus the risks of being a foreigner with little rights doesn't help.

Right now Pattaya seems to be booming. New beach condos are going up everywhere. But if you could rent a new beach condo, you could make more money than letting the money sit in a bank. Just a few months of income could earn you more than a typical 3% interest rate.

But what is the vacancy rate in Pattaya? Are there so many condos that it would most likely sit unoccupied? I would like to hear from someone with experience on this in Pattaya/Jomtien area.

You should consider financial tools, like time deposit in foreign currency.

With AUD, you can have 5 % net (in Singapore, free of taxes). And the trend is up (interest rates are likely to continue to increase). AUD appears safer on the medium term compare to THB.

With a condo, OK, you can achieve let's say 8% gross. But with a lot more hassle : find tenants (part time tourist, of all the year ?), commission for the agency etc.

As for the value when you wish to resale, well it's unknown territory especially in Thailand.

So... why bother ?

But I agree, if you are very wealthy, it's wise to diversify. So option condo is still a good one.

You also need to subtract out your yearly maintainence fees to the developer (or management company if the developer hands over/sells the management contract to someone else) that needs to be paid whether you have a tenant or not.

Pattaya is indeed booming though, although IMO most have missed the boat. The real bounty was (and still is to some extent) vacant land.

:o

At the current prices, I think it is OK to buy a modestly priced condo if you want to live in it yourself. Then, your return is free rent and possible appreciation. Pattaya is going to have price cycles like anywhere else, but beach resorts everywhere tend to recover from downturns.