Old enough to know better: Thailand's infamous Full Moon Party turns 25

webfact

Old enough to know better: Thailand's infamous Full Moon Party turns 25
Ben Groundwater

The Full Moon Party is old enough to know better.

KOH PHANGAN: -- Thailand's infamous beach rave turned 25 this year, making it old enough to now refrain from dodgy drugs, old enough to avoid drinking buckets of vodka and vomiting it all up a few hours later, old enough to say no to drunken hook-ups with Danish backpackers, and old enough not to take its clothes off and frolic in the sea.

Of course, it will still do all of those things. And so will you. Because this isn't a birthday marked with maturity, but with glorious debauchery. That's what a Full Moon Party is all about.

These raucous get-togethers on the island of Koh Pha-Ngan, a name once whispered among backpackers the world over but now shouted with glee, began innocently enough. Like "tubing" in Laos, it was the idea of a few travellers who wanted a simple escape from Western reality. Twenty-five years ago a bunch of hippies decided they wanted to sit on a Thai beach on a moonlit night, smoke a bit of pot, drink a few beers, and – in their eyes at least – live the dream.

But then others got wind of it and wanted to live the dream as well, only they had slightly different dreams. Hard-partying dreams. Over the years more and more backpackers have descended on the once quiet island of Koh Pha-Ngan, in their numbers forever altering the beautiful beach and remote dreamland that the town of Haad Rin once was

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/old-enough-to-know-better-thailands-infamous-full-moon-party-turns-25-20130909-2tfzh.html

-- The Sydney Morning Herald 2013-09-09

Sydney used to be so quiet and remote with beautiful unspoilt beachs

then somebody dumped thier garbage there [prisioners]

and now its a heaving metropolis where drugs are readily avaliable [if you know where to find them]

alcohol is freely available [even brew thier own]

beaches are no longer pristine and many walk naked on the beachs [or near enough]

ive been there once and god forbid dont want to go back[im still talking about sydney]

• Like 1

300,000 people claim to having been at the first party.

Just another good idea wrecked coffee1.gif

and the first was'nt on Haadrin beach but ban khai beach

I was living in Samui between 1988 and 1993. Went in koh Pham gnan the first time in 1988. I can't tell when was the first party.. Do you mean the official one..? The very very first one..?

At that time I have been told, parties have always been there. Before techno and house, before the drugs, it was there already. I think it came with the first magic mushroom.

Hadrin beach was a strategic place to do parties cause hidden from Samui; the movie "the beach" refers to Samui as Hadrin in the story, the beach as Hadrin in reality.

In 1988 and before, lucky you to get there without help..

I was living in Samui between 1988 and 1993. Went in koh Pham gnan the first time in 1988. I can't tell when was the first party.. Do you mean the official one..? The very very first one..?

At that time I have been told, parties have always been there. Before techno and house, before the drugs, it was there already. I think it came with the first magic mushroom.

Hadrin beach was a strategic place to do parties cause hidden from Samui; the movie "the beach" refers to Samui as Hadrin in the story, the beach as Hadrin in reality.

From the syntax in your message here it sounds like you must be having a fairly good ol' time relishing memories of the old times on Samui/Phangngan... it certainly was great to visit those islands in the early 90's. After the airport went in on Samui, Phangnan was still good for a couple of years, but now thoroughly trashed. Now Phangnan a cesspool of disease and Samui a den of misadventure... and Koh Tao is both!

• Like 1

From the syntax in your message here it sounds like you must be having a fairly good ol' time relishing memories of the old times on Samui/Phangngan... it certainly was great to visit those islands in the early 90's. After the airport went in on Samui, Phangnan was still good for a couple of years, but now thoroughly trashed. Now Phangnan a cesspool of disease and Samui a den of misadventure... and Koh Tao is both!

Exactly, after airport was up and running next 3 even 4 years - it was great to be there still... Koh Chang had this Samui feel to it 5 years ago, all gone by now as well.... Almost all Thai paradises lost, sad but true sad.png

I agree with you. Been there in 1997 then 2004 and I didn't recognized the islands of my young days.

I agree with you. Been there in 1997 then 2004 and I didn't recognized the islands of my young days.

Yeah - getting older is a bummmer. I left Slough in the 1960's. Went back in 2003 - didn't recognise a thing.

Fact of life.

We visit places in our youth.

We go back and tell our friends what a great time we had.

They visit and also have a great time.

They tell their friends etc etc etc.

10 years later - same same but very different.

sorry.gifofftopic.gif

At the end of the day - KPG is still a beautiful island. I love to visit it (never on the FMP) but I would not want to live there all of the time. I like my creature comforts too much. I prefer Samui as a base and KPG for a 'do nothing' break.

I hope that the FMP carries on for many years -it is supporting the infrastructure of the island. Although, when I drive through Bangrak, I curse the 'walking dead' disembarking from the ferries the next morning drunk.gif

(Mind you - on a personal note - I am very hacked off with the new Black Moon Party venue!)

• Like 2

Never been interested to go to a full moon party.Hate the idea of having drugs planted on me and 20 years in jail.Or even see somebody crying their eyes out due to a massive jail sentence for drug taking or drug selling

Edited by Rooo
Removed underline.

Live and let live.some 20 years ago I head a great time there,been recently back but it has changed.not the party itself just me who has changed.honetsly I was a bit jealous to be not 19 anymore and enjoy it as I had in the past.party people keep it going just a little bit care/ respect for the environment...

• Like 1