Can A Non-o Holder Apply For A Work Permit?

Can someone please tell me whether a non-immigrant type-O holder can apply for a work permit in Thailand?

This is concerning my husband who will apply for a non-O visa to come to Thailand in order to be with his Thai wife (me). Suppose that we have all the documents to support him to get a one-year visa extension, and therefore can stay in Thailand, what will he have to do then when he gets a job? Does he have to leave Thailand to obtain a non-B visa before he can apply for a work permit in order to work?

I think my question is.... whether the non-B is the only type of visa allowed and required, if someone wants to get a work permit?

Also, are there anyone with an experience applying for a visa extension due to spouse-supporting reason (with all the bank account and everything), but have no Thai marriage certificate? Is the doable? A friend of mine could do it, but I want to make sure that this is common and not just because she met a nice person on the right day at the immigration office.

Thank you very much for your help. I'm really confused.

if you are legally married, meaning you have a Thai marriage certificate, or a foreign marriage certificate translated into Thai, your husband can obtain a workpermit on a Non-Imm-O visa. Extension of visa requires certain amounts of income and/or bank deposits.

In order to obtain a workpermit a Non-Imm-B visa is not required for foreigners who are leagally married to a Thai national, a Non-Imm-O visa, based on marriage (support of spouse) is the way to go.

without marriage certificate your husband will need a Non-Imm-B visa in order to get a work permit!

opalhort

If you are married to a Thai however dont have a non immigrant visa o or b yet but are able to get a non immigrant visa B and O then which one is better to have?

The B visa ends with the job. The O visa ends with the marriage. Which is likely to last longer? :o

Please clarify as I am still confused,

I will shortly be getting a non-o visa based on marrage to a Thai then extending for the year as funds are not currently a problem. I have no immediate plans to work but may do in the future.

Does the non-o visa based on marrage allow work or does it say 'employment prohibited' on it?

What I am saying is another visa run required (I am tired of them) or is is just a matter of applying for a work permit etc etc?

Thanks

Simon

i have had a non imm b for 3 years as i have a work permit as managing director for my business, i am also married although i get 1 year extensions anyway i was told not to change to non imm o visa as i would'nt get a permit. a non b visa is a working visa also one of my staff had the same and immigration issued him with a retirement visa which is a retirement b visa and chon buri also issued hin a new 1 year work permit., although we were told this was impossible, wierd

I will shortly be getting a non-o visa based on marrage to a Thai then extending for the year as funds are not currently a problem. I have no immediate plans to work but may do in the future.

Does the non-o visa based on marrage allow work or does it say 'employment prohibited' on it?

A work permit is the only thing that allows you to work. It matters not if your visa is O or B as the work permit can be issued for either. If your only basis for visa is your marriage/support ("I have no immediate plans to work") that (class O) should be the visa you get.