New Fitness Centre on Soi 102 Beware!

Hobiecat

Well folks some of you on this site may see me on here from time to time. Lived in Thailand for 10 years now 6 of which where in HH and I don't often post things on this site as I am more of a reader but today I felt compelled to write.

My most enjoyable 10 years of living in the LOS was today upset by the rudeness and arrogance of a farang starting a new business, hence the title above. For the sake of the moderators no names are mentioned. My wife and I decided to stop on the way home from town and order some take out at a new pizza joint which has just opened on Soi 102 adjacent to a new fitness centre. We got off the bike ordered our pizza (which by the way was very good) I them stepped out side for a smoke at which time I was asked to leave the the property of the pizza establishment by the farang owner of the adjacent fitness centre. Now don't get me wrong here I respect anyone that doesn't want me to smoke near them and will gladly but out or move away if asked politely but this gentleman's manners I'll have to say where purely rude and hostile. Rude enough to the point he had tones in his body language of fiscal confrontation. tsktsk.gif The sort you might say that's looking for a fight.

I find it strange that a person starting a new business here in town could be so ignorant? I would think starting a new business one would be a kind individual to attract business. icon_banghead.gif I've seen so many of these types come and go.

So if you happen to be traveling up Soi 102 and your car or truck is blowing a little to much smoke or you happen to pass wind (fart) or flick your cigarette out the window at the wrong time. Be careful you may have an irate butt.gif hole farang on your hands. thank.gif Rant finished icon_rasta.gif

If it happen what you say. Some Farang mean they are VIP or somebody better if they run a business here, maybe they not succeed in his home country because of arrogance cheesy.gif

If somebody come from Isan better let fall down in front of shop a plastic bag with "Cow or pig manure" much better and longer effect as you propose with cigarettes etc. and still natural product with an excellent long lasting smell ! crazy.gif

Soi 102 where? so many streets in Bangkok where the sois go past 100, im guessing you are talking sukhumvit? is that the only road you have visited in 10 yrs? Don't assume all farang live or care about that one road.

He's on about Hua Hin where every soi has a hidden secret. Plenty of other towns and cities in Thailand.

Soi 102 where? so many streets in Bangkok where the sois go past 100, im guessing you are talking sukhumvit? is that the only road you have visited in 10 yrs? Don't assume all farang live or care about that one road.

He's on about Hua Hin where every soi has a hidden secret. Plenty of other towns and cities in Thailand.

right I guess so too, Soi 102 in HH because he live since 6 years there as in his text mentioned. But before throw a plastic bag, check HH and BKK cheesy.gif

right I guess so too, Soi 102 in HH because he live since 6 years there as in his text mentioned. But before throw a plastic bag, check HH and BKK cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif width=32 alt=cheesy.gif>

Pleased you pointed that out, I was just heading out to sukhumvit 102 for a tab

How many forums u post this in? I met the guy a few times and he has always been extremely polite and friendly. Maybe you caught him on an off day as he's preparing to open his new business which I hope your forum rants don't do any harm too. Maybe smokers just pi55 him off and I wouldn't blame him for that.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is the HuaHin-ChaAm forum, not Bangkok.

Now sit up straight and pay attention.

I am the owner of this new gym along with my wife and this is my reluctant reply;

To set the record straight, or at least give my side of this story I would like to fill in a "few" missing facts about this "so called incident" and to respond to all those that without any other knowledge except that which was written in a lop sided perspective, rumor, and innuendo, from someone that obviously feels overly threatened and insecure.

This is how it went down; I was working on a leg press machine that is near the front of the gym, we have a double shop house with two large door openings. The third shop house and ONLY other shophouse around, is the Joe's Pizza shop. The building is about 2 km from the main road in Hua Hin, on Soi 102.

We all moved in the building the same time, about 1 month ago. This building is an island as there are only a few townhouses directly behind us owned by the same owner. There are ONLY 3 shophouses, 2 of which the gym occupies. The Pizza place and us, the new gym. Other than that, there are no other businesses beside us, or in front of us. Joe, the owner of the Pizza place, whom is Thai, my wife and I all talked about and agreed to the "NO SMOKING" and put up NO SMOKING signs in front of the building, two in fact. BECAUSE none of us smoke, it's a GYM, we teach HEALTH AND FITNESS and it's our right, as lease holders and business owners, to set precedents for our own areas. We have a rather small odd shaped parking area, which we all use for our businesses, he has a table outside, and we will use our "parking" area as part of our training ground.......

So that afternoon, Hobiecat and his wife pull into the pizza place on their motorbike. THe next thing I see is him lighting up a cig. right in front of the NO SMOKING sign, which is in FRONT of our gym and in FRONT of the pizza shop on the outside post between our two shops as he was walking over to peer inside the gym to see what was going on, in front of our open door..........literally less than one meter from the building.

The smoke from his cig. came into the gym and I asked him if he could move to the other side of the pizza shop to smoke. I at no time "told him to leave the property". His immediate response in a defensive tone was " I am in front of the pizza place." I responded by asking him again and telling him that Joe doesn't want people to smoke either, but he is too nice to say anything, wants the sign to be enough..... but that would take someone showing respect for the sign and wishes of those businesses...... Hobiecat then retorted, "but I bet he wants my business!" I then said, when the gym opens, there will be enough business from non-smokers or smokers with some respect, so I wouldn't think too much about "helping him out".

(We ourselves eat there several times a week and have already spent a few thousand baht)

I then said, look, you don't need to be an asshol_e about this, this is my business and it's a gym for christ's sake. Hobiecat then replied it was none of my business where he smoked and this is "why he came to Thailand" as he held up his lighted cig. in front of my face. I told him he was right, until it effects me or my business, then it becomes my problem. Why can't he just walk away and smoke over there? I stood there a bit confounded as to why someone would be so problematic as several other smokers that I have asked or made aware of our requests, have just said ok, no problem and either wait to smoke, or go out closer to the street to smoke. I then said, in a rather direct tone of voice, "why does your right to smoke, override my right to breath? At which time, I saw over his shoulder, his wife leaning on their bike with a rather cute smile on her face....... as he stated, she doesn't like him smoking either and I would venture to say, doesn't like being embarrassed by him as well. Which probably happens more often than not if you take his re-action to this situation. Why would any grown man, or mature person, need to rant and rave on several forums to others about this, call me names, and create conjecture over my gym if not to defend himself to himself? Seems a bit strange to me but tells a story of his mentality and his thoughts. BUT I do thank him for the free publicity and getting the word out about our new GYM on Soi 102 in HUA HIN...... Thanks so much! Also, my wife, which is Thai, would love to talk to your wife about this and invite her to our gym..... so please let her know that she is welcome...

But obviously, Hobicat has a problem with being "told what to do" or asked to do something other than "what he wants". A rather juvenile and confrontational attitude in my experience. I have met a few other smokers with this attitude as well here in Hua HIn, and all I have to say is to all of you and to all of those that agree with Hobicat and who hold this attitude towards others is, you're only hurting yourself. As me and most other rational people think, it is a rather selfish and self-centered attitude.

YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO SMOKE WHERE EVER YOU WANT, WHEN EVER YOU WANT when it effects others!

There are "NO SMOKING LAWS" in Thailand, and just because there is not much enforcement from the govt. doesn't give you the "right" to ignore it. It also gives us more of the responsibility to have to enforce it ourselves as business owners. Not really a job I want, but one that you create for me.... but you don't get it do you? A small amount of respect goes a long way......

Your arrogance is "Ignorance with an Attitude" so you named your post on HHForum correctly, only when you point your finger at someone, remember, there are three fingers pointing back at you.

I am American and will defend my rights too. Whatever you have to say about me being American, I probably have already said them and lived them myself long before your judgements or ridicule. I don't agree with most things about my govt., today. but am proud to have been taught the American values..... and one is this; My rights end, where another's begin. OR Your rights end, where mine begin." Another is; be kind and considerate and treat others how you'd like to be treated.... also, defend yourself and your rights and stand up for what is good......

I am the one that holds the lease to this building, our two bays, and Joe holds the lease to his side. We have the right to use our parking area and all areas associated with it as we want.... WHY??? Because we PAY RENT AND PAID FOR IT!!!!! When you, any of you, want to pay my rent for me, then come do it and then we can talk about your "rights" on our property....... until then, please just go somewhere else and be with other like minded people who want to smoke and bitch and complain....... I didn't come to Thailand to escape my country or to do whatever I want regardless of whom it effects. I came to Thailand because I fell in love with my wife, the culture and because it is a new land of opportunity. I have been in the health and fitness industry for over 25 years, helped hundreds of people and taught thousands, and yes, I can be an asshol_e when confronted by an asshol_e..... I haven't reached Buddha hood yet..... and probably won't in this life time...... but that's ok. Not for those that think they can confront me and dictate their will over me, for sure. I will stand up to you every time. I am American remember..... and for those that want to come smoke in front of my gym, the moment you step off the road and onto my little piece of paradise with a lighted cig., you're challenging me and creating conflict. So up to you. As for all the other BS that others have said, whatever........ be ignorant and opinionated, I don't care.....

and for all those that know me, train with me or want to, thank you for being kind human beings and rational people....., you're the one's I want as community members and training partners...... please come visit us and let's play together......

Thanks for reading and if you're of like mind, stop in, if not, just go find your own friends to play with and leave us alone..... I don't want or need your business, which of course, I would never get anyway as health and fitness aren't even in your realm of reality...... only dying a slow death is your quest.

Thanks, POWERFIT 102

Hahaha love it when you get to hear both sides of the story... Makes the OP story so much better...

How many gyms are on soi 102 and next to a new pizza shop?

I smell a libel suit... Or is that cigarette smoke?

:)

I am the owner of this new gym along with my wife and this is my reluctant reply;

To set the record straight, or at least give my side of this story I would like to fill in a "few" missing facts about this "so called incident" and to respond to all those that without any other knowledge except that which was written in a lop sided perspective, rumor, and innuendo, from someone that obviously feels overly threatened and insecure.

This is how it went down; I was working on a leg press machine that is near the front of the gym, we have a double shop house with two large door openings. The third shop house and ONLY other shophouse around, is the Joe's Pizza shop. The building is about 2 km from the main road in Hua Hin, on Soi 102.

We all moved in the building the same time, about 1 month ago. This building is an island as there are only a few townhouses directly behind us owned by the same owner. There are ONLY 3 shophouses, 2 of which the gym occupies. The Pizza place and us, the new gym. Other than that, there are no other businesses beside us, or in front of us. Joe, the owner of the Pizza place, whom is Thai, my wife and I all talked about and agreed to the "NO SMOKING" and put up NO SMOKING signs in front of the building, two in fact. BECAUSE none of us smoke, it's a GYM, we teach HEALTH AND FITNESS and it's our right, as lease holders and business owners, to set precedents for our own areas. We have a rather small odd shaped parking area, which we all use for our businesses, he has a table outside, and we will use our "parking" area as part of our training ground.......

So that afternoon, Hobiecat and his wife pull into the pizza place on their motorbike. THe next thing I see is him lighting up a cig. right in front of the NO SMOKING sign, which is in FRONT of our gym and in FRONT of the pizza shop on the outside post between our two shops as he was walking over to peer inside the gym to see what was going on, in front of our open door..........literally less than one meter from the building.

The smoke from his cig. came into the gym and I asked him if he could move to the other side of the pizza shop to smoke. I at no time "told him to leave the property". His immediate response in a defensive tone was " I am in front of the pizza place." I responded by asking him again and telling him that Joe doesn't want people to smoke either, but he is too nice to say anything, wants the sign to be enough..... but that would take someone showing respect for the sign and wishes of those businesses...... Hobiecat then retorted, "but I bet he wants my business!" I then said, when the gym opens, there will be enough business from non-smokers or smokers with some respect, so I wouldn't think too much about "helping him out".

(We ourselves eat there several times a week and have already spent a few thousand baht)

I then said, look, you don't need to be an asshol_e about this, this is my business and it's a gym for christ's sake. Hobiecat then replied it was none of my business where he smoked and this is "why he came to Thailand" as he held up his lighted cig. in front of my face. I told him he was right, until it effects me or my business, then it becomes my problem. Why can't he just walk away and smoke over there? I stood there a bit confounded as to why someone would be so problematic as several other smokers that I have asked or made aware of our requests, have just said ok, no problem and either wait to smoke, or go out closer to the street to smoke. I then said, in a rather direct tone of voice, "why does your right to smoke, override my right to breath? At which time, I saw over his shoulder, his wife leaning on their bike with a rather cute smile on her face....... as he stated, she doesn't like him smoking either and I would venture to say, doesn't like being embarrassed by him as well. Which probably happens more often than not if you take his re-action to this situation. Why would any grown man, or mature person, need to rant and rave on several forums to others about this, call me names, and create conjecture over my gym if not to defend himself to himself? Seems a bit strange to me but tells a story of his mentality and his thoughts. BUT I do thank him for the free publicity and getting the word out about our new GYM on Soi 102 in HUA HIN...... Thanks so much! Also, my wife, which is Thai, would love to talk to your wife about this and invite her to our gym..... so please let her know that she is welcome...

But obviously, Hobicat has a problem with being "told what to do" or asked to do something other than "what he wants". A rather juvenile and confrontational attitude in my experience. I have met a few other smokers with this attitude as well here in Hua HIn, and all I have to say is to all of you and to all of those that agree with Hobicat and who hold this attitude towards others is, you're only hurting yourself. As me and most other rational people think, it is a rather selfish and self-centered attitude.

YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO SMOKE WHERE EVER YOU WANT, WHEN EVER YOU WANT when it effects others!

There are "NO SMOKING LAWS" in Thailand, and just because there is not much enforcement from the govt. doesn't give you the "right" to ignore it. It also gives us more of the responsibility to have to enforce it ourselves as business owners. Not really a job I want, but one that you create for me.... but you don't get it do you? A small amount of respect goes a long way......

Your arrogance is "Ignorance with an Attitude" so you named your post on HHForum correctly, only when you point your finger at someone, remember, there are three fingers pointing back at you.

I am American and will defend my rights too. Whatever you have to say about me being American, I probably have already said them and lived them myself long before your judgements or ridicule. I don't agree with most things about my govt., today. but am proud to have been taught the American values..... and one is this; My rights end, where another's begin. OR Your rights end, where mine begin." Another is; be kind and considerate and treat others how you'd like to be treated.... also, defend yourself and your rights and stand up for what is good......

I am the one that holds the lease to this building, our two bays, and Joe holds the lease to his side. We have the right to use our parking area and all areas associated with it as we want.... WHY??? Because we PAY RENT AND PAID FOR IT!!!!! When you, any of you, want to pay my rent for me, then come do it and then we can talk about your "rights" on our property....... until then, please just go somewhere else and be with other like minded people who want to smoke and bitch and complain....... I didn't come to Thailand to escape my country or to do whatever I want regardless of whom it effects. I came to Thailand because I fell in love with my wife, the culture and because it is a new land of opportunity. I have been in the health and fitness industry for over 25 years, helped hundreds of people and taught thousands, and yes, I can be an asshol_e when confronted by an asshol_e..... I haven't reached Buddha hood yet..... and probably won't in this life time...... but that's ok. Not for those that think they can confront me and dictate their will over me, for sure. I will stand up to you every time. I am American remember..... and for those that want to come smoke in front of my gym, the moment you step off the road and onto my little piece of paradise with a lighted cig., you're challenging me and creating conflict. So up to you. As for all the other BS that others have said, whatever........ be ignorant and opinionated, I don't care.....

and for all those that know me, train with me or want to, thank you for being kind human beings and rational people....., you're the one's I want as community members and training partners...... please come visit us and let's play together......

Thanks for reading and if you're of like mind, stop in, if not, just go find your own friends to play with and leave us alone..... I don't want or need your business, which of course, I would never get anyway as health and fitness aren't even in your realm of reality...... only dying a slow death is your quest.

Thanks, POWERFIT 102

How would you enforce your no smoking policy if a Thai decided to go outside and strike a butt while waiting for his pizza?

Would you act in the same manner if he became argumentative?

I say your policy as: unless you have an exercise area outside your gymnasium the Public Health Notice, which denotes where smoking is/isn't permissible, doesn't apply.

Jerry

What a shame that farang here can be so petty, so confrontational, so public in their macho posturing over such a trivial matter. Sometimes you need to shut the xxxx up. Come on kids, kiss and make up, before this spills over into an international incident that justifies negative Thai opinion. In fairness to the respondent, I think the overture to a peaceful resolution is a good starting point. OP, take the opportunity, sensibly offered, and spare us all the collateral ridicule. We are in this together and everyone's rights need to be respected.

• Like 1

I would say if you have a notice asking for no smoking and it's on private land then OK.

The OP got his knickers in a twist over nothing and after it was mentioned should have moved away.

Does this Pizza restaurant have tables outside as well?

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm curious how the smoke entered the gym. The gym 102 poster mentioned his door was opened. Maybe a case of Som Nam Na ?

Just close your door, and the smoke doesn't come in ?

On a personal note, I have never smoked and detest smoke & smokers, but think closing your door might help :)

I'm curious how the smoke entered the gym. The gym 102 poster mentioned his door was opened. Maybe a case of Som Nam Na ?

Just close your door, and the smoke doesn't come in ?

On a personal note, I have never smoked and detest smoke & smokers, but think closing your door might help smile.png

Thing is if he rents all the place inclusive parking and has no smoking signs then he is ok with opening his doors as people just should not smoke.

It is of course highly inconsiderate of the smoker to smoke where there are no smoking signs even if they are outdoor on a property. (though i can see a bit of their side) But because of it smoke can always get into places where it should not be most smokers have no idea how bad smoke smells.

Im in the middle here I understand the guy about his place and no smoking rules. On the other hand in the open air I can't be bothered with it. I am a gym rat and should side with the gym owner but I am not doing that 100%. I am a non smoker have never smoked and don't like the smell or the addictive attitude of smokers. I got a mother who smokes and who i love a lot but after every plane ride or even a few hours in a shopping center or after a coffee she has to go out and smoke (while all the others have to wait for her). Its pitiful smokers just don't have any control. I am all for drugs and such but please don't bother others with it.

So, gym doors open... I'm actually looking at the gyms here to see if I want to join, but I cannot work out in this heat.  I need a well air conditioned space for that.  I assume with doors open this is not an air conditioned gym.  Correct?

Like you I can't workout in the heat in my own gym I always turn on the sitcom half an hour before I start. Heat really has a bad influence on your workouts.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So, gym doors open... I'm actually looking at the gyms here to see if I want to join, but I cannot work out in this heat. I need a well air conditioned space for that. I assume with doors open this is not an air conditioned gym. Correct?

Like you I can't workout in the heat in my own gym I always turn on the sitcom half an hour before I start. Heat really has a bad influence on your workouts.

me and the mrs live on soi 102, and if you are going to be showing sitcoms in the gym, the wife will be down there for sure! pizzas and sitcoms she will be well happy (still tubby mind) ;)

for this gym mate, are there any special promos for us guys on this thread? any early bird deals to get the numbers up quickly? i need a new gym (though i hope the sitcom volume is not as loud as it is at our house)

So, gym doors open... I'm actually looking at the gyms here to see if I want to join, but I cannot work out in this heat. I need a well air conditioned space for that. I assume with doors open this is not an air conditioned gym. Correct?

me and the mrs live on soi 102, and if you are going to be showing sitcoms in the gym, the wife will be down there for sure! pizzas and sitcoms she will be well happy (still tubby mind) ;)

for this gym mate, are there any special promos for us guys on this thread? any early bird deals to get the numbers up quickly? i need a new gym (though i hope the sitcom volume is not as loud as it is at our house)

I can't miss coronation street and Emmerdale!!

• Like 1