Khaosod English clarifies usage of "stupid bitch"

webfact

Standard Operating Procedure for Thailand, there's a controversy so let's have several versions.

Abhisit and both parties will stick to their own version since they know best and if DSI gets involved too Tarit will go with the translate that best suits his and the government's purposes.

Wouldn't all concerned be better getting on with the many pressing issues of the day instead of the childishness they excel at ? When I say " all " I do exclude YL however as she's never around to get involved in anything other than planning her next trip.

• Like 2

Please correct me if I'm wrong but abhisit didn't actually mention her name in the sentence where this word was mentioned,, from where I see it everyone is putting 2 + 2 together and getting 5 ,,, possibly the lady isn't doing herself any favours and thus guiding everyone to come up with 4,,,, does that make sense?

No, it doesn't make much sense I'm afraid.

Abhisit's abusive language is not that new and for some time he has been using gutter language to street protests etc and an altogether different tone in other quarters (conforming to the brand image of officer and gentleman).Unfortunately for him in the age of social media these two personas cannot really be kept apart.

Actually it seems rather a foolish strategy as a man of his intelligence and eloquence could be quite devastating without descending to crude insults, particularly in the Thai culture where wit and repartee in politics are held in high regard.He doesn't need to have a split personality, though I suppose this reflects the muddle at the top of the Democrat Party.

• Like 1

There you go! I now have documentary proof, as opposed to anecdotal, that my new learned phrase is correct.

I will print it and keep it and one day, if that day ever comes, wife and I have a big argument, I will firstly show her the written proof, then say it and RUN FOR THE DOOR!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.png

• Like 1

Did I read this correctly, none of the translations are actually 100% correct (because of context), and even "bitch" is not correct? What should it have been? A 5 letter word, beginning with "w", ending with "e" and with "hor" in the middle?

• Like 2

I asked 3 of my female adult students about this. They stated it meant foolish or stupid and 2 said it was mildly insulting the 3rd (youngest) said she thought it very insulting. But they all noted that it was not used in reference to anyone's name.

I do note that the OP didn't publish the complete transcript of the speech.

Personally. I think the Democrats are trying to hard at the dirty tactics of Phua Thai and the Red shirts.

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

• Like 1

So...actually no one- including himself- knows, what he was talking about?!

Is that about right?!

And if we ever know, there are at least 3 versions of it, from a well meaning slap in the face to a horrible insult!?

Amazing Thailand!

Friend said that in the context it would translate as silly woman. The context is paramount (I'm told) which is why google translate etc. do such a poor job.

I guess your friend is a democrat, try saying E-Ngo to his mother, lets see if it means silly woman, I think you will never set foot in her house again.

I agree with the above - it's more like 'stupid woman'. Khaosod is trying not only to inflame the situation, but back-pedalling and trying to justify its words. They could do with a decent translator and English speaker on their staff.

It all depends on context yes, as in you can say it to your friends in some/most situation.

But in the current situation it is closed translated to Stupid Bitch, I explained in another news post tha E either makes an adjective very rude.

Or it turns the adjective into a noun and make it very rude. So yes there is no bitch in the translation, but it means something like very <deleted>**ing stupid thing.

the word thing kinda looks weird rigth, which is why they changed very <deleted>**ing thing to bitch.

100% correct? no, best translationin the context? yes

P.s. you dont believe it? try saying it to some random people, or maybe some colleagues, lets see how you day goes.

As stupid woman or even softer as stated by the one above "silly woman" should not do much damage right?

Try....

• Like 2

A little bit of faux controversy can go a long way. Khaosod will be loving the surge of traffic to their website and licking up the google adwords cream.

Some of you need to realize that the internet is causing even more distorted journalism as multiple sources fight out for the viral story.

Stories like this are proof of it, and The Huffington Post are masters at it.

Annoy the masses, get the hits and comments flying in, go to bank and cash cheque.

Welcome to journalism 2013,

• Like 2

This article is as accurate a description as is possible, given that there is no exact translation in English for the Thai phrase; the mere use of the word อี attached to others is enough to render the phrase very offensive, hence 'bitch', though nowhere to be found in the original, is a reasonable simulcrum.

What he actually said (with video and English translation in today's BP) was ' ... no one (woman) would enter a contest called Stupid Woman'.

He did not refer to YT, but, the implication seems to be that she was dumb for setting up a contest called Smart Lady. Geddit?

Storm. Teacup coffee1.gif

I think he said something more, he stated that if there was a competition for stupid bitch, then no one would be able to defeat her.

Ok not directly saying she is a stupid bitch, but kinda the same right.

ps. i am not a fan of YL and the reds at all, neither am I of the democrats, just trying to explain the usage of the words, thats al

Translating the word "stupid bitch" and you get a female dog that's acting stupid, right?

lol- right about that, in theory, now say it to the woman next to you smile.png in English or in Thai...

Trying to say that Bitch is not a rude word....?

Edited by kiwikoppy

You know what? Someone just go ask Abhisit already. Get him to say in English what he meant. It'll save multiple forums from turning into blood baths. coffee1.gif

Dont think that works, as he will also calm it down to stupid woman to save himself.... he is not that stupid.

It does not matter what he or others around him wil say, the word was rude, thats it, dont believe it, try saying it to some women you meet today.

Thanks for making the effort to clarify the situation. Such language by the leader of the opposition is both uncalled for and an indication that he should not return to the office of prime minister. A leader should have a measure of integrity and self-control. Use of abusive language in such a situation demonstrates that he has neither.