Permanent Residency Quota Unveiled (2013)

Just read on BP that the 2013 annual quota for permanent residents has been approved by the cabinet (September 10, 2013). It allows for a maximum of 100 persons per country and 50 'stateless' persons.

Does this mean the IM will start approving applications pending since 2009? Or is this only related to those who apply in December 2013?

Thanks guys.

• Like 1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Permanent residency quota unveiled

BANGKOK: -- The cabinet has approved the Immigration Commission's annual quota for granting permanent residency to foreign nationals, deputy government spokeswoman Sunisa Lertpakawat said Tuesday.

The 2013 quota allows a maximum of 100 persons per country and 50 stateless persons to be given permanent residency, the same number as last year.

Foreigners wanting to stay in Thailand permanently can submit applications in December at immigration offices in Bangkok and other provinces.

A total of 241 foreigners from 32 countries applied for the permanent resident status last year and authorities are processing their applications, Lt Sunisa said.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-09-11

It is only for this years applications.

I guess it might give a push to ministry to get all the pending applications moving.

That would mean 2009, 2011 and last years 241 applications. That could well total up to over 700 applications.

It is only for this years applications.

I guess it might give a push to ministry to get all the pending applications moving.

That would mean 2009, 2011 and last years 241 applications. That could well total up to over 700 applications.

Only 241 applied in 2012...would have thought it would have been much higher number...doesn't appear people are knocking down the door to obtain PR status...probably due to the cost and the l..........o...........n............g wait to obtain approval.

The time in which you can apply depends on immigration, as said most times it is in December for 1 or 2 weeks. Not necesarrily the last week.

Peopel who want to apply are advised to start preparing the paperwork right now, so everything is in order when the time comes to apply. Do keep in mind that some documents can not be older than 3 or 6 months.

• Like 2

Wed 11 Sep 2013, 10:24 am

I don't recall the exact specs, but in this context "permanent resident" is a misleading term. In the U.S., for example, a PM is virtually the same as a citizen except that a PM may not vote. Also, I seem to recall that if you stay out of the U.S. for more than six months, you have to do something or you risk your PM status. Other than that, your status is indeed permanent, need not be reviewed or renewed periodically, and there are no restrictions regarding property ownership, employment or business formation. PM in Thailand still involves some of the same hassles that Non-imm visa holders have to deal with. Maybe someone could elaborate on that?

Aloha,

Rex
Khon Kaen, Thailand

Wed 11 Sep 2013, 10:24 am

I don't recall the exact specs, but in this context "permanent resident" is a misleading term. In the U.S., for example, a PM is virtually the same as a citizen except that a PM may not vote. Also, I seem to recall that if you stay out of the U.S. for more than six months, you have to do something or you risk your PM status. Other than that, your status is indeed permanent, need not be reviewed or renewed periodically, and there are no restrictions regarding property ownership, employment or business formation. PM in Thailand still involves some of the same hassles that Non-imm visa holders have to deal with. Maybe someone could elaborate on that?

Aloha,

Rex

Khon Kaen, Thailand

With Thai permanent residency you don't have to do anything unless you plan on leaving then you get a re-entry permit which can be a single or multiple re-entry good for one year.

Every five years you report to the Police.

• Like 1

Cannot see the benifits versus a "ritirement" visa. The costs are high and plenty of paperwork and still have to get a re-entry permit.

Retirement needs the once a year extension, the 90-days and some money in the bank. Much easier option as I can see.

Most of the foreigners who have applied and/or received PR status in Thailand have not reached the age of retirement, including my self, benefits are as good as Thai citizens.

sent by skyaslimit using thaivisa forum mobile app.

• Like 1

Cannot see the benifits versus a "ritirement" visa. The costs are high and plenty of paperwork and still have to get a re-entry permit.

Retirement needs the once a year extension, the 90-days and some money in the bank. Much easier option as I can see.

You do not qualify for PR anyway. You have to of worked, have a work permit and pay taxes for 3 years to qualify.
  • Like 1

Most of the foreigners who have applied and/or received PR status in Thailand have not reached the age of retirement, including my self, benefits are as good as Thai citizens.

I have not researched this for a long time, so maybe my memory does not serve me well. However, "benefits are as good as Thai Citizens???" Really? Can you own property freehold? Upon your death, can you leave it to your kids or whomever you designate? Can you own a business 100% outright? Can you work as an independent contractor? Can you work for any employer who hires you? In any type of job or industry? Can you leave your employer and go to work for another one without dealing with immigration?

The only benefit of PR is that it gives you a slightly more elevated status when it comes to 'official' things like opening/operating bank accounts, investing, buying condominiums etc., and you no longer have to report every 90 days, otherwise the high cost, the huge amount of paperwork and the waiting time does not justify it.

You are still not permitted to buy land - which obviously would be a huge benefit - and still have to pay the relatively high cost of re-entry visas, plus report to the police to update your police book every time you leave and arrive back in the country - telling them where you are going etc.

Also, if you stay out of Thailand for more than one year, your residence is automatically cancelled.

Conclusion: For as long as the retirement visa is not revoked, and your age qualifies you for it, this is clearly a far, far, better choice.

Edited by jko
  • Like 1

Only for this years applications. By law the minister has to set a number of applications per country that cna apply for PR in that year. The maximum is 100 persons per nationality.

What the statement in a practical sense means is that this year it will again be possible to apply for Permanent Residency.

Procedure is that after the number of applicants has been announced, Immigration will make an anouncement that people can apply for PR. Normally that is done in December and people have 2 weeks time to apply for PR. You can only apply for PR during the timeframe given by immigration.

The big question is what about the 241 previous applications that were not processed.

Are they thrown out and you start all over again by reapplying

edit

Sorry I just reread the OP I see where they are processing the 241 from 2012 now. So if they take in 100 from those what happens to the other 141 do they stay on the list and any applications in 2013 get added to them?

Edited by hellodolly

I would like to apply, but I was told applicants who have already applied have to pay a fee every year while their application is under consideration...does anyone know if that is true and, if so, how much the fee is?

There is no fee.

In fact you get free 6 month extensions until approved or denied.

rexall, on 11 Sept 2013 - 11:31, said:
skyaslimit, on 11 Sept 2013 - 11:16, said:
naammanow, on 11 Sept 2013 - 10:54, said:

I have not researched this for a long time, so maybe my memory does not serve me well. However, "benefits are as good as Thai Citizens???" Really? Can you own property freehold? Upon your death, can you leave it to your kids or whomever you designate? Can you own a business 100% outright? Can you work as an independent contractor? Can you work for any employer who hires you? In any type of job or industry? Can you leave your employer and go to work for another one without dealing with immigration?

Well said.. PR is a joke here..

• Like 1

Well that makes sense if you are under 50. Also you would be able to buy land in your own name I presume. That to many TV posters makes a big difference. But why the reentry permit. My Thai wife just uses her passport. Can you not get a Thai passport?

Well that makes sense if you are under 50. Also you would be able to buy land in your own name I presume. That to many TV posters makes a big difference. But why the reentry permit. My Thai wife just uses her passport. Can you not get a Thai passport?

You are confusing PR with getting citizenship. Which you could apply for without getting PR first since you are married to a Thai. But you have to of worked for 3 years making at least 40k baht of income. Edited by ubonjoe

Yes, you can leave your employer and even stop working all together if you have PR without the need to deal with immigration.

Check out this thread for more detailed information on how to apply for residency:

Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

Thank you george for this old link. May I ask you or anyone here, permanent residency is not citizen right? So does permanent residency application include preficiency in Thai does one need to be able to sing the national anthem at this stage?

The agent whom I had been using in my past 5 years stay here for work permit and visa applications and renewals told me I am eligible for PR application end of this year. Looking at the Quota of 100 per country and last years total application of only 200+ people I guess it is not going to be difficult to be successful, am I right to assume this?

I was also told that the only difference between PR status and Work Permit status that I am in now is that I don't need to renew my work permit every year but I will will need to renew my visa every year. Also buying of property condition still stays. So it seem there is not muct benefit to get a PR except that it could be a pre-requirement to be a citizen. I hope I am right.

PR is not citizenship.

With PR you still need a work permit like any other, but you do not need extensions of stay from immigration anymore.

Yes, if not married to a Thai national, it is required to have PR before being able to apply for Thai citizenship.

• Like 1