Permanent Residency Quota Unveiled (2013)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PR is not citizenship.

With PR you still need a work permit like any other, but you do not need extensions of stay from immigration anymore.

Yes, if not married to a Thai national, it is required to have PR before being able to apply for Thai citizenship.

Thank you very much mario2008. I had gotten the work permit and visa the other way round thanks for pointing that out. Yes I wish to obtain citizenship one day with my wife (not Thai) and this will be my first baby step.

Cannot see the benifits versus a "ritirement" visa. The costs are high and plenty of paperwork and still have to get a re-entry permit.

Retirement needs the once a year extension, the 90-days and some money in the bank. Much easier option as I can see.

Most of the foreigners who have applied and/or received PR status in Thailand have not reached the age of retirement, including my self, benefits are as good as Thai citizens.

sent by skyaslimit using thaivisa forum mobile app.

Not as good as actual citizenship; but more benefits than a tourist visa indeed (I think that is what you mean?)

Cannot see the benifits versus a "ritirement" visa. The costs are high and plenty of paperwork and still have to get a re-entry permit.

Retirement needs the once a year extension, the 90-days and some money in the bank. Much easier option as I can see.

Most of the foreigners who have applied and/or received PR status in Thailand have not reached the age of retirement, including my self, benefits are as good as Thai citizens.

Not as good as actual citizenship; but more benefits than a tourist visa indeed (I think that is what you mean?)

Permanent Residence infers a right of abode, a visa non-Imm or other does not infer this right, provided you are within the rules set for your PR, they cannot "kick"you out the country on a whim, you are a legal migrant, granted Thailand has a slightly weird way of doing it.

If your aspirations of living in Thailand long term on a visa, one has to understand one day a change to immigration rules could have you packing your bags and having to leave because you may not qualify for the visa or extension anymore, with permanent residence would be very difficult to revoke someone's PR unless they broke the rules of their PR

I thought of getting it a few years back when it was only about 9000 baht. Then Taksin increased it to 90,000, making it not worth it.

Now with the rule change it's pretty simple for person married to a Thai to get citizenship unless you're unemployed or retired. People complain a lot about not being able to get Thai Citizenship but IMO it's as easy for myself, a working guy married to a Thai , speaking the language, to get as it would be for me to get Citizenship in the USA, Australia, NZ etc. Those who can't speak Thai do not deserve it.

Again the PR IMHO isn't worth it but only useful as a stepping stone for single people who are wanting citizenship. I have one friend who got it easily as he knew some important people, being the USA embassy first secretary but even now he has to report every 5 years and needs to get re entry visas. He used to go on about how he could stay here forever and was similar to a citizen but they are are nothing alike.

Edited by Neeranam

Quote from immigration website regarding applicable fees for PR. Basically 7,600 baht to apply plus another 191,400 baht if approved...totals up to 199,000 baht.

Say a working person did get such a PR just before he retired at age 50. With the PR in hand he doesn't have to pay 1,900 baht per year for a retirement extension of stay and he only has to live another 105 years (199,000 divided by 1,900 = 104.7 years) until he is 155 years old to break even...what a deal!!!!--not!!!! But hey, you don't have to do 90 day address reporting anymore.

5. Fees
5.1 A non-refundable fee for each application is 7,600 baht. (whether permission is granted or not. Application fee is not refund able.)
5.2 If the application is approved, the fee for the residence permit is 191,400 baht. However, the residence permit fee for spouses and
children (under 20 years of age) of aliens who already had the residence permit or Thai citizens is 95,700 baht.

• Like 2

100 applicants from India.

100 applicants from Iceland.

Seems like a good deal if you come from Iceland.

And that is basically the point. The 100 affects only the countries that Thailand is keen on minimising migrants from ie. China, the ME and the Subcontinent.

To my knowledge, the restriction has never affected holders of western passports....which if you read between the lines, actually says alot about the attitude of government towards those from the 'west' versus those, well, not from the west.

Permanent resident or otherwise called Thangdau is totally totally useless in this country and moreover it is not even recognized in the banks if you want to open an account. Its basically like having a one year long visa.

There are seriously no other benefits after putting up so much money and efforts to get it.

It happened to me many times with different banks scb and bbl they actually asked me what is thangdau? And they didnt let me open an account until I showed them a copy of work permit. So I was thinking myself, is it better to just have work permit alone?

The immigration policy have to change the benefits of having thangdau and they should circulate a message to every banks and government organizations to create an awareness about what it is and why it is superior then just a work permit.

Last but not least, pr should be allowed to work and do everything as a citizen except voting rights..,

I hope the immigration authorities gets to read my message... thanks.,,

• Like 1

Permanent resident or otherwise called Thangdau is totally totally useless in this country and moreover it is not even recognized in the banks if you want to open an account. Its basically like having a one year long visa.

There are seriously no other benefits after putting up so much money and efforts to get it.

It happened to me many times with different banks scb and bbl they actually asked me what is thangdau? And they didnt let me open an account until I showed them a copy of work permit. So I was thinking myself, is it better to just have work permit alone?

The immigration policy have to change the benefits of having thangdau and they should circulate a message to every banks and government organizations to create an awareness about what it is and why it is superior then just a work permit.

Last but not least, pr should be allowed to work and do everything as a citizen except voting rights..,

Why are you even comparing PR to a WP they not even comparable, a WP is just that its a work permit, it doesn't infer right of abode in Thailand, PR infers right of abode so the there is no comparison one is to do with immigration the other to do with working

One suspects the reason banks and such are not aware of the PR status, is that there are so few about

At least with PR you have a legal right of abode in Thailand unlike being on a visa, if they change the visa runs about long term stay this will not affect someone with PR so this in itself is a major benefit.

Although I do agree with you once PR is granted this should also infer the right to work without a WP and even buy land, the only restriction being you cannot vote

It's more for the peace of mind I guess, that you can't be kicked out of country. Otherwise, not much benefits. For opening a bank account, you should have shown them your tabian baan, that's supposed to be an address proof in lieu of work permit. They only want to see your work permit coz it's used as a proof of address. The most common proofs of address in thailand are tabien baan and the work permit. Residence certificate nobody hardly knows about.

• Like 1

rexall, on 11 Sept 2013 - 11:31, said:

skyaslimit, on 11 Sept 2013 - 11:16, said:

naammanow, on 11 Sept 2013 - 10:54, said:

I have not researched this for a long time, so maybe my memory does not serve me well.  However, "benefits are as good as Thai Citizens???"  Really?  Can you own property freehold?  Upon your death, can you leave it to your kids or whomever you designate?  Can you own a business 100% outright?  Can you work as an  independent contractor?  Can you work  for any employer who hires you?  In any type of job or industry?  Can you leave your employer and go to work for another one without dealing with immigration?

Well said.. PR is a joke here..

If you think that PR is a joke, then it sounds like " grapes are sour" type of thing.

It's more for the peace of mind I guess, that you can't be kicked out of country. Otherwise, not much benefits. For opening a bank account, you should have shown them your tabian baan, that's supposed to be an address proof in lieu of work permit. They only want to see your work permit coz it's used as a proof of address. The most common proofs of address in thailand are tabien baan and the work permit. Residence certificate nobody hardly knows about.

I agree. Peace of mind is about the only reason for me.

If you are on one of the other types of visa/permission to stay, (work permit, marriage, retirement) as soon as you no longer qualify (e.g lose job, get divorced, no longer have the 800k), thats it. Off you go. The very same day according to my understanding.

Financially there is no comparison, pr will probably never be justifiable on pure baht terms. Even the annual re-entry permit costs more when you have PR!

But, if I lose my job, I can just sit by the pool with no worries until I find another one.

plus report to the police to update your police book every time you leave and arrive back in the country - telling them where you are going etc.

That part is not true is it jko? jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif

You only have to report to the nearest Police Station IF after 15 days you leave your abode in your Police Red Book address in Thailand and NOT outside of Thailand.coffee1.gif

Win with a PR before I became was a member on this forum. w00t.gif

100 applicants from India.

100 applicants from Iceland.

Seems like a good deal if you come from Iceland.

And that is basically the point. The 100 affects only the countries that Thailand is keen on minimising migrants from ie. China, the ME and the Subcontinent.

To my knowledge, the restriction has never affected holders of western passports....which if you read between the lines, actually says alot about the attitude of government towards those from the 'west' versus those, well, not from the west.

My Indian friend is from Nepal and had PR. ;)

17 consecutives years living in Thailand on one-year non-immigrant visa and Work Permit. There once was a time I considered applying for PR but decided it wasn't worth it in my situation (not married to a Thai, no Thai born kids). Because (1) expensive and lengthy process (2) few real benefits (3) nearly 50yo so can apply for a retirement visa should my thai employer not support my visa application anymore & I wish to stay (3) have no interest in becoming a Thai citizen. The only real benefit I can see of having PR would be that I could apply for a loan from a Thai bank, however I understand there are ways to do that too now without PR.

I would be interested to know why people would want to apply for PR.

• Like 2

17 consecutives years living in Thailand on one-year non-immigrant visa and Work Permit. There once was a time I considered applying for PR but decided it wasn't worth it in my situation (not married to a Thai, no Thai born kids). Because (1) expensive and lengthy process (2) few real benefits (3) nearly 50yo so can apply for a retirement visa should my thai employer not support my visa application anymore & I wish to stay (3) have no interest in becoming a Thai citizen. The only real benefit I can see of having PR would be that I could apply for a loan from a Thai bank, however I understand there are ways to do that too now without PR.

As mentioned earlier, the only benefits of having it are a, Right of abode b, Prerequisite for thai citizenship (for people not having thai spouse) . So if you aren't looking for either of these, then PR is just a waste of time, money and effort. And I am a PR applicant from 2011 Batch waiting for approval, so don't want anybody thinking that I am saying it for sour grapes.

Edited by sas_cars
  • Like 2

So, with permanent residence, would we be allowed to buy property?

What property do you think you cannot buy?

You can own anything but land (unless you invest 40m then you can own one rai). Houses no problem, it will have to be seperate legal entity to the land that it is on. Everything else, no problem.

So, with permanent residence, would we be allowed to buy property?

What property do you think you cannot buy?

You can own anything but land (unless you invest 40m then you can own one rai). Houses no problem, it will have to be seperate legal entity to the land that it is on. Everything else, no problem.

The law opens up the possibility that an investment of 40 million lets you own 1 rai, but it needs a ministerial regulation/approval.

Edited by Mario2008
million edited per below post

As mentioned earlier, the only benefits of having it are  a, Right of abode   b, Prerequisite for thai citizenship (for people not having thai spouse) .  So if you aren't looking for either of these, then PR is just a waste of time, money and effort. And I am a PR applicant from 2011 Batch waiting for approval, so don't want anybody thinking that I am saying it for sour grapes.

Sour grapes were not for you man, cheer up.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

To be the ultimate... to be THAI.

You know what some farang rak Thai-ers are like. rolleyes.gif

I think it's probably safe to assume you're not qualified for either...

For either what?