Permanent Residency Quota Unveiled (2013)

Oh right.

Doesn't one have undergo extortion from government officials to get it. From reports I've read on here they have to pay, what's the flowered up cutsie term that doesn't make it sound like illegal extortion from corrupt government officials again, Tea-Money right?

No thanks, I still have my soul. smile.png

Edited by pilm

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh right.

Doesn't one have undergo extortion from government officials to get it. From reports I've read on here they have to pay, what's the flowered up cutsie term that doesn't make it sound like illegal extortion from corrupt government officials again, Tea-Money right?

No thanks, I still have my soul. Posted Image

BS.

You don't have to pay a satang if you're qualified, which -- again -- you are unlikely to be.

I paid nothing extra at all.

Oh right.

What makes you think you have to pay tea money? No one I know who has PR paid anything but the official fees.

The make or break question: at two tier pricing places, do you get in on the cheap rate or still pay farang price? Whole thing sounds like "Waiting for Godot" foolishness...... Still exponentially cheaper than trying to retire to Australia, which I just looked into. Crikey!

Economically thinking, if they increase the money to deposit for either marriage or retirement visa, it may make sense to get that fake Thai PR in the future. Just to avoid putting lots of money into the country without knowing if you can withdraw it one day safely. That would be the only reason I could imagine. And no, I'd not in hell consider to become a director of a public company here :D

So, with permanent residence, would we be allowed to buy property?

What property do you think you cannot buy?

You can own anything but land (unless you invest 40m then you can own one rai). Houses no problem, it will have to be seperate legal entity to the land that it is on. Everything else, no problem.

The law opens up the possibility that an investment of 40 million lets you own 1 rai, but it needs a ministerial regulation/approval.

Just out of interest, has anyone here heard of a single case where this approval has been given?

It is only for this years applications.

I guess it might give a push to ministry to get all the pending applications moving.

That would mean 2009, 2011 and last years 241 applications. That could well total up to over 700 applications.

Only 241 applied in 2012...would have thought it would have been much higher number...doesn't appear people are knocking down the door to obtain PR status...probably due to the cost and the l..........o...........n............g wait to obtain approval.

That really is a tiny number especially considering the huge numbers of tourists that visit Thailand every year - surely I would have thought there would be like 100,000 applications for PR in Thailand every year? Or maybe that's just me thinking that everyone out there thinks Thailand is as desirable a place to live as Australia, the USA, Canada, etc. which each have hundreds of thousands (or more) PR applications each year.

17 consecutives years living in Thailand on one-year non-immigrant visa and Work Permit. There once was a time I considered applying for PR but decided it wasn't worth it in my situation (not married to a Thai, no Thai born kids). Because (1) expensive and lengthy process (2) few real benefits (3) nearly 50yo so can apply for a retirement visa should my thai employer not support my visa application anymore & I wish to stay (3) have no interest in becoming a Thai citizen. The only real benefit I can see of having PR would be that I could apply for a loan from a Thai bank, however I understand there are ways to do that too now without PR.

I would be interested to know why people would want to apply for PR.

One question - why wouldn't you want to become a Thai citizen given the chance? The only good reason not to is if you will one day soon leave Thailand and move back to either your home country, or another country. Otherwise, being forced to renew your visa each year, needing a work permit, living in uncertainty about your status and being forced to pay more to see many attractions than locals are are some of the numerous disadvantages of being a foreigner in Thailand. Also, I hear that naturalized citizens of Thailand get to keep their original citizenship(s), making Thai citizenship even more attractive.

I have also heard it has recently become possible to become a Thai citizen without being a PR first, but not sure if that's possible if you are not married to a Thai - but I am happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Edited by Tomtomtom69
  • Like 2

Permanent residency quota unveiled

BANGKOK: -- The cabinet has approved the Immigration Commission's annual quota for granting permanent residency to foreign nationals, deputy government spokeswoman Sunisa Lertpakawat said Tuesday.

The 2013 quota allows a maximum of 100 persons per country and 50 stateless persons to be given permanent residency, the same number as last year.

Foreigners wanting to stay in Thailand permanently can submit applications in December at immigration offices in Bangkok and other provinces.

A total of 241 foreigners from 32 countries applied for the permanent resident status last year and authorities are processing their applications, Lt Sunisa said.

tpn.jpg

-- Phuket News 2013-09-11

As has been stated in many TV posts, residency is no longer required for citizenship and as Thailand allows dual citizenship, it should be expected that more foreigners are now applying for Thai Citizenship. Local Immigration told me that citizenship applications ar accepted in December, along with Residency applications.

As has been stated in many TV posts, residency is no longer required for citizenship and as Thailand allows dual citizenship, it should be expected that more foreigners are now applying for Thai Citizenship. Local Immigration told me that citizenship applications ar accepted in December, along with Residency applications.

As stated before, PR is not required if you are married to a Thai national.

Having dual citizenship for people who opt for obtaining Thai nationality through neutralsation is a bit more problematic. You are not allowed to make use of your other nationality.

Immigration has nothing to do with obtaining Thai nationality through naturalisation, it is the domain of Special Branch. Thai nationality can be applied for all year round, you don't have to wait till it is opened up like with PR.

I guess it might give a push to ministry to get all the pending applications moving.

That would mean 2009, 2011 and last years 241 applications. That could well total up to over 700 applications.

Only 241 applied in 2012...would have thought it would have been much higher number...doesn't appear people are knocking down the door to obtain PR status...probably due to the cost and the l..........o...........n............g wait to obtain approval.

That really is a tiny number especially considering the huge numbers of tourists that visit Thailand every year - surely I would have thought there would be like 100,000 applications for PR in Thailand every year? Or maybe that's just me thinking that everyone out there thinks Thailand is as desirable a place to live as Australia, the USA, Canada, etc. which each have hundreds of thousands (or more) PR applications each year.

Number of applicants seeking PR status in Thailand is in Thousands/per year, but the number of "Qualified" applications accepted by Immigration are in hundreds, the number of applications accepted for CONSIDERATION last year was 241 (if I am not wrong), Here I would like to share one more thing, the number of application approved from the badge of 2006 were only 100+.

Oh right.

What makes you think you have to pay tea money? No one I know who has PR paid anything but the official fees.

I know of 2 people who did pay tea money, but both of them applied using lawyers. Of course there is no way of knowing where the money ended up eventually, it could easily of stayed in the lawyers pocket.

I personally did not pay anything apart from the official fees, but I did everything myself. From my limited experience (myself + 1 personal friend), not using a lawyer seems to ensure you only pay the official fees.

Oh right.

I know of 2 people who did pay tea money, but both of them applied using lawyers. Of course there is no way of knowing where the money ended up eventually, it could easily of stayed in the lawyers pocket.

I personally did not pay anything apart from the official fees, but I did everything myself. From my limited experience (myself + 1 personal friend), not using a lawyer seems to ensure you only pay the official fees.

I just think the lawyers take the cash themselves to pad their fee's.

On a slightly different note, we've just gotten my wifes Thai citizenship application back into the mix after a 3 year hiatus. Went down to the Interior Ministry, nice lady came out and accepted our letter that stated we wished to get the process kick started, and she said she'd put us at the top of the pile for the next interview round. No mess, no fuss, and just straight forward interactions through the whole process.

Point is doing things yourself seems to be the preferred method by all concerned, as it gives the officals a chance to get to know you unoffically as well.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

Permanent residency quota unveiled

BANGKOK: -- The cabinet has approved the Immigration Commission's annual quota for granting permanent residency to foreign nationals, deputy government spokeswoman Sunisa Lertpakawat said Tuesday.

The 2013 quota allows a maximum of 100 persons per country and 50 stateless persons to be given permanent residency, the same number as last year.

Foreigners wanting to stay in Thailand permanently can submit applications in December at immigration offices in Bangkok and other provinces.

A total of 241 foreigners from 32 countries applied for the permanent resident status last year and authorities are processing their applications, Lt Sunisa said.

tpn.jpg

-- Phuket News 2013-09-11

Your local Immigration contact is wrong. Citizenship applications are accepted every working day of the year. PR is still required for those without a Thai spouse for 3 years or 1 year with a child together.

Dual nationality is neither specifically permitted, nor prohibited, under the Thai nationality Act but Thai citizenship can be revoked from those who are Thai other than through birth to a Thai parent, if they are found to be using their former nationality or reside overseas for more than 5 years. Many instances of such revocations have been recorded in the Royal Gazette over the years, nearly all of whom were Thai through birth in Thailand to alien parents (prior to 1972). If you apply for naturalisation, since 2010 you are asked to submit a declaration certified by your embassy that you intend to renounce your existing nationality when you get Thai nationality. The law also implies that Thais who naturalise as aliens can lose their Thai citizenship involuntarily but no incidences of this have been recorded under the current 1965 Act and there are some high profile Thais who have widely publicised the fact that they have naturalised as aliens without any moves against their Thai nationality.

It is quite funny that the press report the quota announcement as if it is something new. The truth is of course that the minister is obliged to announce the annual quota after getting it approved in a cabinet resolution under the 1979 Immigration Act, in order to open applications for the year. The maximum quota is 100 per nationality and 50 stateless persons and there has never been an announcement of less than that, although in 2010 there was no announcement at all and no applications.

The quota was designed to knock Chinese immigration on the head in the early 50s because the nationalist Pibulsongkran government was very concerned that the communist government in China would infiltrate 5th columnists into Thailand to destabilise his regime. It is still working well because the Chinese are still the only nationality that regularly hits the quota and have to compete amongst themselves for places.

Anyway, it seems a positive sign that the official announcement has been made relatively early this year, although they might still delay opening for applications until just before Christmas as usual (probably to reduce the workload). The announcement only applies to new applications and has no implications for those who have already applied.

Oh right.

Tales of tea money for PR are indeed rare but I knew someone who said he paid it the year I applied in the 90s via a police general with contacts at Immigration. He got his PR in only 6 months vs 12 for me but I think he applied very early after they opened for applications, whereas I applied just before they closed. He didn't have to do any of the interviews. He just showed up once, mentioned a puu yai's name and signed his name, whereas I had to attend two detailed interviews. He was fully qualified and would certainly have got it anyway. So he just saved the trouble of the interviews. It is important to note that he was not asked for squeeze but voluntarily sought out a way to pay it because he assumed that was necessary to make things go smoothly. I doubt if it would be possible to avoid the interviews today as things are much tougher. In the Camerata thread someone reported that he was summoned to Immigration with his lawyer and asked for squeeze about two years after applying and having done all the interviews already. Hopefully that is an isolated incidence. Lawyers don't seem to add much value in the process which you can easily do yourself with the help of someone who reads Thai and a messenger and they might even conspire with Immigration officials to defraud their clients.

I would like to apply, but I was told applicants who have already applied have to pay a fee every year while their application is under consideration...does anyone know if that is true and, if so, how much the fee is?

NOT TRUE, I applied in 2009, application accepted and sine then under investigation, all I have to do is go to Immigration every 6 months, completely free renewal of extension except for reentry permit, usual fee.

17 consecutives years living in Thailand on one-year non-immigrant visa and Work Permit. There once was a time I considered applying for PR but decided it wasn't worth it in my situation (not married to a Thai, no Thai born kids). Because (1) expensive and lengthy process (2) few real benefits (3) nearly 50yo so can apply for a retirement visa should my thai employer not support my visa application anymore & I wish to stay (3) have no interest in becoming a Thai citizen. The only real benefit I can see of having PR would be that I could apply for a loan from a Thai bank, however I understand there are ways to do that too now without PR.

I would be interested to know why people would want to apply for PR.

As mentioned earlier, the only benefits of having it are a, Right of abode b, Prerequisite for thai citizenship (for people not having thai spouse) . So if you aren't looking for either of these, then PR is just a waste of time, money and effort. And I am a PR applicant from 2011 Batch waiting for approval, so don't want anybody thinking that I am saying it for sour grapes.

Number of applicants seeking PR status in Thailand is in Thousands/per year, but the number of "Qualified" applications accepted by Immigration are in hundreds, the number of applications accepted for CONSIDERATION last year was 241 (if I am not wrong), Here I would like to share one more thing, the number of application approved from the badge of 2006 were only 100+.

Correct, but I was told that it was less than 900 that applied in December 2012. 241 made the cut as of the publishing date of this newspaper article. I was also told that if Immigration accepts the application, chances are excellent that the PR will be approved.

Edited by Barontt

Only 241 applied in 2012...would have thought it would have been much higher number...doesn't appear people are knocking down the door to obtain PR status...probably due to the cost and the   l..........o...........n............g   wait to obtain approval.

Correct, but I was told that it was less than 900 that applied in December 2012. 241 made the cut as of the publishing date of this newspaper article. I was also told that if Immigration accepts the application, chances are excellent that the PR will be approved.

According to the law, the quota per nationality is 100 persons per year, though number of applicants may differ on year to year basis.

As far as appovals are concerned, it really works on case to case basis, acceptance of application is one thing but approval is another.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

I am considering the Permanent residency process (working category) and had 2 questions which I hope people can help with.

1) Though arrived in 2010, I could not organise visa and Work permit until the company was fully working so my Work Permit started in 2011/03 & Ist 1-year non-imm B visa in 04/2011. I will have met the salary requirements for all years of 2011, 2012 & 2013.

QU: If applying in 12/2013 I would not have 3 full years of WP & income tax declarations: is this a no-go (i.e. cannot proceed)?

2) I've seen a number of references to spoken language test in the interview(s) and Cameratas guide, saying test in April of the following year.

QU: is this a Thai spoken language test a mandatory and systematic test? Can anyone give advice as to the level of comprehension/fluency required?

As I think 2013 application year is out for me, I have 12+ months to upgrade my taxi-thai to a reasonable level (main issue not learning was work travel schedule meant classes were difficult, so any good but reasonably priced tutors people can recommend would be appreciated)!

Thanks all, and enjoy the rainy-cool weather.

1. You must not only have a work permit, but also have been on continues extensions of stay from immigration.

it seems you do not meet that requirement yet, as it is a new company.

2. Basic knowledge of Thai language is needed and you should be able to introduce yourself and give some basic information about yourself, but they will try to help you with using easy language.