Live Music

davethailand

Blues Factory on Soi Diamond is O.K. but beware a small beer is 105 baht. There is a place on Soi Bukhow called the Rich Bar, free music most nights, beer only 50 baht per bottle, nice staff. There is the Bamboo Bar, live music, an older crowd, more for couples, although 12-15 freelance girls/women circulate to keep the lone male company.

There are loads of other places but I'm not an expert, usually best to have a good drink then go to the Blues Factory and drink slowly.

Dave,

What sort of music are you looking for? Falung bands or Thai singing foriegn songs?

The Henry J Beam on beach road always have imported bands playing (although some are of questionable quality) as does the Moon River Pub.

My favourite is a bar on the corner of Beach Road and Soi 7 called Poppy Garden. It has a duo playing pretty much whatever you request. They are Thai, but sing pretty good english. Depending on the ccrowd and the mood, it can turn into a Karaoke, but the manager has put a 2 song limit on any singers. Beers are pretty cheap (about 50 baht for import bottle and 45 for local stuff). Some nights (I think Friday and Saturday), they have a little girl doing a special set to try and make money for her schooling.

If however you want music and company, HJB and MRP have no hostesses and the PG ones ar very friendly but definitely not top shelf.

There are plenty of other places around town, but like I said when I started what type of music and crowd are you looking for?

Dave, I would highly recommend Lam Morrison - brilliant guitarist and Thailand's answer to Jimi Hendrix. His version of "Somewhere over the Rainbow" a la Hendrix will get your hairs standing on end! He plays most nights at the Blues Factory (esp. at weekends), and also plays at a place in N. Pattaya between sois 1 and 2 I think.

I don't know who's coming to the Pattaya music festival next month, but that might be worth checking out. And if Loso are playing anywhere in town, it's worth seeing them too - take a listen to their Red Album, it's great.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget the music festival, I was here for it last year. Bands I'd never heard of but sounded absolutely fantastic. All free but get there early, especially the big stage, that gets filled quickly. One good thing about being a farang in the middle of thousands of Thais though, is you can still see from the back :o It's mid-March this year I think.

music festival is march 19 - 21. Stages are located at:

1. Outside City Hall

2. Between Dusit Hotel and Pattaya Plaza

3. Between Beach Rd Soi 4 and The Bali Hai Pier.

This is official City Hall version so don't go trying to work out the size of the stage to run from Soi 4 to the pier, it just means that it will be somewhere between these 2 points.

thanks i will check him out

whats the blues factory like i've heard about it, is it thai run

Blues Factory - Soi Lucky Star.

You will not see the name anywhere, but to get there go down Walking Street and when you get to the Muang Thai boxing on your right (next to Doll's House), turn left.

There are a couple of beer bars there, also with live music, Blues Factory is behind a Hamburger stand, visible from Walking Street. (If you know where 'Feigling' used to be - it is the access passage from WS.

Management appears to be farang, ownership - don't know.

Don't bother before 10 p.m., place is dead. Live sets about 10.30 and midnight.

Blues Factory has great music, BUT drinks are not cheap (more expensive then gogo bars!) and the music plays so loud that when i get out again it seems there is dead silence in those open bars :o

If you like the kind of music, GREAT place...

Other place with reasonable good played music is Climax (under Polo entertainment). Place is packed on most weekends, sometimes they have really good guest musicians jamming away...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

Xyte is ok if you don't mind being ripped for 200 hundred baht, but that includes a 100 baht drink, cover charge if you are of a light colour.

Hollywood is cool if you can stand the noise. A week to recover full hearing.

Palladium near Tiffanys. 120 a drink for anything but no cover and cool shows.

Blues Factory. nEVEr had a bad time there. Might have to take up smoking.

Moon River Pub out near the Dolphin rounabout has great Phillapino band. Can't affor a litre of beer there!!!!

Any go go bar on the 'strip' has heavy disco stuff.

Tony's walking st. Music loud and not live beer is like wee.

For the best of everything. Head to Taweang Daeng in Bangkok:-)

CTG

Hi

Xyte is ok if you don't mind being ripped for 200 hundred baht, but that includes a 100 baht drink, cover charge if you are of a light colour.

Hollywood is cool if you can stand the noise. A week to recover full hearing.

Palladium near Tiffanys. 120 a drink for anything but no cover and cool shows.

Blues Factory. nEVEr had a bad time there. Might have to take up smoking.

Moon River Pub out near the Dolphin rounabout has great Phillapino band. Can't affor a litre of beer there!!!!

Any go go bar on the 'strip' has heavy disco stuff.

Tony's walking st. Music loud and not live beer is like wee.

For the best of everything. Head to Taweang Daeng in Bangkok:-)

CTG

:o nEVEr :D

ha ha

Blues Factory has great music, BUT drinks are not cheap (more expensive then gogo bars!)

I used to go to the Blues Factory a couple of nights a week, but I think 120b for a Heineken and 95b a coke for the wife is just too much to encourage many to stay all evening with all the competition around.

Shame the management didn’t offer a little discount for us expats. :o:D

Was in there last night just after ten for the first time since Angie (house band singer) left, and was told happy hour now finishes at ten, sure it used to be 10-30 as advertised on TV.

Good music though, but also good in the Climax Bar across the road at 75b a Heineken with a bit more eye candy, now the BF have dispensed with their dancers.

Not knocking the BF, as I really like the place, and the house bands new line up, just find it too expensive in comparison.

• 4 months later...
like rock rnb rock n roll. no tina turner filipino stuff.
Had enough of Angie? ...I still get nightmares of the Sha nana na nanaananananananana....song :D I saw a couple of thai dudes ripping it on 2 guitars with drummer and bass player a few years ago....at Wonderful bar...they could play anything we threw at them, from Freebird( with slide intro and full solo), Crazy train by Ozzy(a la Rhandy Rhoads), old Van Halen....all done very well. The guys in Kampang( soi 1 or 2) are really good for Peua Chivit and they play some farang songs...note for note( if u like hotel Barfolonia!)

Some Reggae would be really cool, Blues is always good at the Factory(especially since the pinays have gone...:o), in terms of new venues a little more rock with proper band and horns would be a blast with a diversified set list.....It seems someone has set in stone the top10 farangs to play at any venue.....Country roads anyone, hotel california, any Clapton.....There is a lot of good stuff out there!

In Samui they have this Brazilian bar/restaurant with band and Black dancers, they are really hot (the dancers), the first guy who brings this to Pattaya....will make a fortune....Cai Pirinas anyone...Dao Brasil! :D

Obviously many people have very short memories or don't read much of the forum.!!!!

Stop fishing. The Blues Factory is a great venue. I would agree with Mike that it's relatively expensive.Also it can be too smokey.I shall be back soon and will visit several times with mates and girlfriends.I would be in more often if you could partly fix the above,and I know others who say the same.

My trips wouldn't be the same without it.Wish there was more serious competition!!!

unfortunatly the club is smokey at times, we are in need of a face lift inside, the problem i'm having is of course the fact that we are open everynight and we really need to close for a few days to redo the place.

i will try and do this but as you can imagine no opening nights = no bands = bands moaning about no salary.

it will all be done for high season.

in regard to prices, we are the same as gogos and other clubs, of course they don't have a 17000bht nightly musicians bill. :D

in my opinions the musicians are worth every penny though :D

thanks for the support

keep the dislikes coming please. :o

Dave, the place does need a face list. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money. Which may mean paying the bands even though they don't play just to keep em happy. Jazz the joint up and it will be an even bigger draw card.

Otherwise the Factory is a fantastic place, I have had a great time when I have been there.

And now that I am back i will be hoping to drop in, last time I was there you were not however, so Myself, Blonco, Penzman and our dear other halves were a little disappointed.

See you soon mate!!!

Dave, the place does need a face list. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money. Which may mean paying the bands even though they don't play just to keep em happy. Jazz the joint up and it will be an even bigger draw card.

Otherwise the Factory is a fantastic place, I have had a great time when I have been there.

And now that I am back i will be hoping to drop in, last time I was there you were not however, so Myself, Blonco, Penzman and our dear other halves were a little disappointed.

See you soon mate!!!

i actually discussed it last night with the manager who nearly fell of his stool when i told him i might shut down for 3 or 4 days before high season to carry the work out, (with all staff on salary) :o