Swimming with the Jellyfish... Pats

ghworker2010

I've noticed that there are heaps of small jellyfish in the water when swimming in the water off Pats. A few times I've had an itch but nothing worse. Has anyone ever been stung resulting in severe pain?

I recently watched a doco on cable stating that due to overfishing around the world, the jellyfish will eventually increase their presence in the water. Has anyone noticed an increase in the last 5 to 10 yrs?

cheers

I would have thought that jellyfish were the least of your worries "when swimming in the water off Pats". Blind Mullets more of a hazard, to say nothing of errant jet skis!w00t.gif

• Like 2

The dangerous species, such as the box jellies, live mostly in the estuary systems and are washed out by heavy rainfall into the ocean. There they drift with the current and can end up beach side if the required conditions prevail.

The prevalence of these dangerous species is now declining due to severe pollution in Thai estuaries as well as unregulated building and development in the riparian zones. These same factors coupled with silting have also killed off most of the coral in locations such as Phuket.

Don't worry too much about jelly fish when swimming in Thailand. The real risk is exposure to fecal coli forms. The risk that you will be stung by a jelly fish is miniscule when compared to the likelihood that you will experience an ear, nose, throat, eye or skin infection from swimming in untreated sewerage.

They have recently conducted water quality tests on the seawater at Patong beach in Phuket. However the Thai authorities had to quash the findings because they were so disturbing.

• Like 2

Though not for stings from the deadly types like box jellyfish, vinegar used liberally will reduce the pain from stings of jelly fish, blue bottles and the like. Take some to the beach with you if jellyfish have been reported. If you are English you can use it on your fish and chips too!

Don't worry too much about jelly fish when swimming in Thailand. The real risk is exposure to fecal coli forms. The risk that you will be stung by a jelly fish is miniscule when compared to the likelihood that you will experience an ear, nose, throat, eye or skin infection from swimming in untreated sewerage.

They have recently conducted water quality tests on the seawater at Patong beach in Phuket. However the Thai authorities had to quash the findings because they were so disturbing.

However ... http://www.abc.net.au/health/yourstories/stories/2008/12/04/2437041.htm

Friend of mine was stung by a jelly fish in Hua Hin.

He was swimming in an area away from where most others including Thais where swimming, he says he regrets doing that.

It did not hurt too much at first, so he headed back to the beach. By the time he reached the beach he says he was in agony.

The locals came to his rescue with a bottle containing what must have been an ammonia based liquid.

I saw the scar from the sting on his leg a few days later, it was brutal.

Was sitting on the beach in Jomtien a few years ago when within about 5 minutes about 8 people were stung by jellyfish two children were screaming their heads off.Luckily a thai vendor rushed over with some clear vinegar and most of the screaming eventually stopped. Happens most years I was told and other people were in swimming the next day when drove past.

As a diver, i always carry a bottle of vinegar and a cheap razor for jelly stings, Liberally apply the vinegar and shave the affected area. The only other alternative that divers use is to get a colleague to urinate on it. Although personally i would prefer to suffer the pain lol

I once swam into a school of them in phuket, it was like a bunch of tiny bee stings, a little bit scary and some irritation, but nothing serious. Of course, there are more dangerous ones.

I,m surprised anything at all alive lives in these dirty polluted waters........coffee1.gif