The Railway Man - Movie Trailer

Boycie

thanks very much for posting that, I have been waiting for this.

His description of his treatment in Outram Road Prison in Singapore is just the most amazing story of survival you will ever read.

Edited by cpofc

I believe this our generations Bridge Over River Kwai film.

I'm hollow everytime I visit and pay my respects to these brave men, what they suffered is truly unbelievable and only a few survived to tell the story.

Any idea when it will be in the cinema here ?

The survivors, at least the ones I have spoken to, are very scathing when you mention the William Holden Hollywood version. The only thing this movie did was keep their memory alive. Which is not a bad thing really. But. The movie is pure crap and a complete distortion of the truth,

Probably the best of it's genre, to date, is another true story made into film, 'To End All Wars', a 2001 film starring Robert Carlyle, Kiefer Sutherland and Sakae Kimura and directed by David L. Cunningham. This movie sort of slipped under the radar in 2001, but then there was alot going on at the time.

The screenplay is based on the autobiography of Ernest Gordon. The autobiography was originally published under the name Through the Valley of the Kwai, then later as Miracle on the River Kwai. It was also republished to coincide with the movie release.

Ernest Gordon was a young Junior Officer in the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders when he was captured whilst escaping via Indonesia.

The Japanese Interpretor gets a mention in both books by both men. Gordon and Lomax. He plays a big part in the movie 'To End All Wars'. He is still alive I think and he is the one who financed the Japanese Buddhist Shrine next to the Jeath Museum in Kan'buri. He volutneered to stay on after the war to help locate the graves of the buried allied soldiers. His war experience affected him deeply and he returned to Japan and became a Buddhist Monk. He has visited Thailand, pilgrimages to K'Buri numerous times. He was also present with Lomax when Lomax was locked up and totured unmercifully in Outram Road Prison.

At the end of the movie you will see a cameo of the two of them, Gordon and The Japanese together at the Allied Cemetary in K'Buri not long before Gordons death. Ernest Gordon survived the war. After liberation Gordon eventually moved to America where he became the dean of the chapel at Princeton University.

Get hold of it and watch it while your waiting for Lomax's story to hit the screen. Its OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwyqlM5dRVI

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

cpofc said, "He is still alive I think and he is the one who financed the Japanese Buddhist Shrine next to the Jeath Museum in Kan'buri"

Actually, that shrine is beside the museum next to the bridge. The original JEATH museum is further down towards the city.

That bridge museum has gone through several different name changes, all in response to dropping attendance once people learned just how poor a museum it is. When their numbers dropped a few years back, they decided that the easier route to improve them wasn't to actually improve the museum, but simply to adopt the name of the famous museum. TIT