importing a laptop

loeuftok

Since I can't find the laptop I want in the country, I am planning to order one from europe and get it shipped here.

However, I am scared of import taxes.

As I buy from Asia, I will pay it tax free, which is good. Put on top the shipping, it is still 500 thb cheaper than if I baught it here.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how much I risk to pay on import duties, and knowing the officials from this country, I am pretty sure that it can go to a nice amount.

Anyone with info on the subject?

Only 500 baht? You'd risk a big import duty for that?

I don't know what country you're ordering from, but I'd sure as heck order it from the US to get the best price if I was willing to risk duties.

I'd contact one of these guys about shipping to Thailand. (or first choose a different brand/model) LINK

Only 500 baht? You'd risk a big import duty for that?

I don't know what country you're ordering from, but I'd sure as heck order it from the US to get the best price if I was willing to risk duties.

I'd contact one of these guys about shipping to Thailand. (or first choose a different brand/model) LINK

Thanks for your comment,

follow it, I just checked about 20 supplier from the US.

I would loose about 5000thb on the same model, and still face the import duties risk

I had the same problem as you. Just cannot buy what I want here. Do a search for threads about shipito.com and you'll see its easy enough. My last 3 laptops came from US this way, inc the one I'm typing this on now.

The number one question is of course how much import duty and VAT you paid on arrival in Thailand?

You can search for import tariff here:

http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp

Notebooks tariff is 84713020 . Search and click on duty reduction "show all".

Most countries are exempted. VAT is 7% on the value of the total customs value ( Notebook + Customs duty + Fare).
Example: Notebook = 10000 THB
Postage = 2000
Duty WTO 20%=12000*20% =2400 Duty

VAT Value 10000+2000+2400= 14400

14400 * 7%=1008

14400 +1008=15408 Total

Thanks uwe_rayong. this is exactly the info I was looking for.

I was trying to find my way through customs tariff on the same site you mentionned but did not reach the proper code yet. I was at 84.70...

Thanks digitalbanana.

I had a look and it is pretty interresting if you can combine (consolidate) shipments.

For a single laptop you save something like 50USD (which in itself is not bad).

But you have to pay import duties and vat.

found another model, slightly different(15" instead of 17") available at lazada.com for 37900THB, POD, free shipment.(but DOS not win8, so including a genuine win7 it goes to 42500THB)

For that same model (15") from EU:

835Eur(tax free)+120Eur (shipment)+20%(duties)+7.5%(VAT)=1231 EUR or 52000THB at today's rate.

From USA 1200USD(tax free)+110USD(shipment)+20%(duties)+7.5%(VAT)=1858USD or 59000thb at today's rate.

Conclusion of all of that, for the laptop I want, buying in thailand is cheaper than either EU or USA.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestion and information, has been very valuable and will be used again in the future

It pays to shop around. I my case my laptop was around 1500USD in US, plus 125USD Fedex plus 10 USD Shipito fee Plus 7% VAT Thai (on my declared price), (No 20% import duties and Fedex web site said there was none due also - I haven't checked in lastest 12 months however) so total less than 2000USD.

Same laptop priced in Thailand was 99,000THB which was about 3000USD and no configurable options (so I saved about 1000USD).

On negative side, the warranty wasn't so easily supported here, but I took my chances on that.

• Like 1

You can search for import tariff here:

http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp

Notebooks tariff is 84713020 . Search and click on duty reduction "show all".

Most countries are exempted. VAT is 7% on the value of the total customs value ( Notebook + Customs duty + Fare).

Example: Notebook = 10000 THB

Postage = 2000

Duty WTO 20%=12000*20% =2400 Duty

VAT Value 10000+2000+2400= 14400

14400 * 7%=1008

14400 +1008=15408 Total

All correct, except you missed the "000 : Notification of the Ministry of Finance Section 12 of the Customs Tariff Decree B.E. 2530 (General Rate)" = EXEMPTED from duties. That applies to all countries and supersedes any trade agreement duty rate in effect.

So you only pay VAT on goods+shipping(+insurance)