Buddhist Chic: Why Buddhism Is So Hot Right Now

sabaijai

Buddhist chic: Why Buddhism is so hot right now

Madonna made those little red Kabbalah bracelets cool for five minutes, and Tom Cruise talked up Scientology, but Buddhism firmly remains the religion du jour for Westerners looking for respite from a greedy, violent and stressed out world, according to a University of Western Sydney expert.

Dr Cristina Rocha, an ARC postdoctoral fellow with the UWS Centre for Cultural Research, is the author of 'Zen in Brazil: The Quest for Cosmopolitan Modernity', being launched today. Dr Rocha says increasing numbers of Australians, like those in other Western countries, are shying away from their religion of birth and instead adopting 'spiritualities of choice'.

"Buddhism is attractive because it provides a powerful antidote to the stress, greed and violence of today's world," says Dr Rocha.

"Buddhism is now the fastest growing religion in Australia, growing 80 per cent between the 1996 and 2001 census. Interestingly, this surge is not only due to migration, but also to large numbers of Australian's converting to Buddhism.

"People from Western cultures are drawn to Buddhism because it is seen as a 'feel good' spirituality - not tied to a particular church or central leader - and is associated with peace, love, happiness, justice and enlightenment.

"Westerners find it gives them tools to cope with the day-to-day, and helps them detach from the rampant consumerism and stresses of their busy lives."

She says Western society's eagerness to embrace Buddhism stands in stark contrast to its misunderstanding, distrust and fear of a religion like Islam, which is labelled by Western media as 'violent' and linked to terrorism.

"One of the reasons for this is the fact the Dalai Lama received a Nobel peace prize in 1989 for his peaceful resistance against the Chinese invasion of Tibet," says Dr Rocha.

Dr Rocha says Western society's flirtation with Buddhism was boosted in the 1960s, thanks to increased levels of migration and exposure to other cultures, and the flower-child generation's willingness to explore things spiritual and alternative.

However, it's grown into a full-blown love affair over the last few years, fuelled along by influential Hollywood stars, the media, and other Zen-loving celebrities.

The fascination has even been given a label by commentators - 'Tibetan chic'.

"Western culture's exposure to Buddhism is so much greater now. Books by the Dalai Lama are bestsellers, and people flock to see and hear him speak as he travels the world. In recent years there have been many movies like 'The Little Buddha', 'Kundun', and 'Seven Years in Tibet', and non-Hollywood films like 'The Cup' and 'Samsra'," says Dr Rocha.

"Celebrities like Richard Gere and the Beastie Boys have used their status to bring attention to the plight of Tibet and its struggle against China; and actress Uma Thurman's father, Robert, who is now a professor at Columbia University, was the first Western Tibetan Buddhist monk and an interpreter for the Dalai Lama."

According to Dr Rocha, increasing numbers of Westerners today want to construct their own spiritual practice; a 'pick and mix' of religious elements that suit them best.

"In contrast to Asia, the way Buddhism has been adopted in the West has meant that individualism is emphasised. Western followers regard meditation as the main practice of Buddhism," she says.

"Westerners see meditation as something you can do alone, any time, anywhere; as if there's no need for a temple, or a priest or monk. This enables an individual to embark on their own spiritual quest for enlightenment."

Dr Rocha says the extent of Buddhism's reach into other cultures is best illustrated by the Brazilian experience, which is the focus of her book.

"Brazil is one of the most predominantly Catholic countries on the planet, yet Buddhism has been experiencing a surge in popularity among the urban, cosmopolitan classes over a number of years," she says.

"In the 1990s, Buddhism in general, and Zen in particular, were adopted by national elites, the media and popular culture as a set of humanistic values to counter the rampant violence and crime in Brazilian society."

source: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/200...a-tcw041906.php

"Western culture's exposure to Buddhism is so much greater now. Books by the Dalai Lama are bestsellers, and people flock to see and hear him speak as he travels the world. In recent years there have been many movies like 'The Little Buddha', 'Kundun', and 'Seven Years in Tibet', and non-Hollywood films like 'The Cup' and 'Samsra'," says Dr Rocha.

"Celebrities like Richard Gere and the Beastie Boys have used their status to bring attention to the plight of Tibet and its struggle against China; and actress Uma Thurman's father, Robert, who is now a professor at Columbia University, was the first Western Tibetan Buddhist monk and an interpreter for the Dalai Lama."

This was all 10 or more years ago. Hollywood, trendy celebrities, etc. have moved on.

Not forgetting about Steven Segal being recognised as a Tibetan Tulku some years back. He even appeared in one of his movies in the Tibetan prince garbs and a mala around his increasingly chubby neck. I'm ashamed to admit I know about it.

Edited by robitusson

Not forgetting about Steven Segal being recognised as a Tibetan Tulku some years back. He even appeared in one of his movies in the Tibetan prince garbs and a mala around his increasingly chubby neck. I'm ashamed to admit I know about it.

Don't feel too bad. I sat through the movie he did about Thailand and Buddhist black magic. The highlight was the Silly Fools song in the warehouse fight scene. Although, it did have that Ladyboy actress that plays villians. She was in Tom Yum Gung. She is kinda evil. :D

Well, see what I mean? :o

And Robert Thurman wasn;t the first Western Buddhist monk either. Seems like Dr Rocha;s work got a bit mangled by the writer of the article.

Thurman was the 1st westerner ordained as a Tibetan Buddhist monk.

Before Lama Govinda (not to mention Madame Alexandra David-Neel!)?

Don't feel too bad. I sat through the movie he did about Thailand and Buddhist black magic. The highlight was the Silly Fools song in the warehouse fight scene. Although, it did have that Ladyboy actress that plays villians. She was in Tom Yum Gung. She is kinda evil. :D

Didn't see that one. It sounds excellently silly!

Edited by robitusson

Didn't see that one. It sounds excellently silly!

Thet would be an understatement.

Here's some funny reading on the silly bloke:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/...agal/index.html

A friend of mine, once, a looooong time ago Seagul fan, has met him on numerous, and partly highly embarrasing situations. One of his favourite tales is how seagul appears in Dharamsala, carrying his two guns, with bodyguards and a blond bimbo in tow, who asked everybody which might be the restaurant in town.

:o

And Robert Thurman wasn;t the first Western Buddhist monk either. Seems like Dr Rocha;s work got a bit mangled by the writer of the article.

Thurman was the 1st westerner ordained as a Tibetan Buddhist monk.

Before Lama Govinda (not to mention Madame Alexandra David-Neel!)?

Well maybe not then. I know Bob Thurman personally, seems like such a straight-forward bloke that I guess I tend to believe whatever he says ... :o

Was Lama Govinda ordained or was he 'recognised' as a lama? There's a difference between a lama and a monk.

Was Lama Govinda ordained or was he 'recognised' as a lama? There's a difference between a lama and a monk.

I may be wrong here, but i think i can slightly remember that he was ordained.

Nevertheless, i believe it is moot who may have been the first western ordained monk. Given that most serious monks do not exactly strive for fame, and that Buddhism exists for over 2500 years, and that there were even during the time of the old greeks cultural exchanges between east and west, there may have existed countless westerners who were ordained but are completely forgotten now.

There are certain theories that even place the historical Jesus into Buddhist monastries.

I checked Thurman's introduction (includes a mini-biography of the author) in the new edition of Way of the White Clouds and it isn't entirely clear. Lama Govinda ordained as a novice in Sri Lanka, then many years later "formally became a Tibetan Buddhist." Later still Thurman mentions that Govinda renounced his novice's vows to marry Li Gotami. I remember from the book that Lama Govinda says he changed sects so that he could marry.

Whatever... I think he (and David-Neel) was just as much a pioneer as Thurman. According to Thurman, Lama Govinda didn't write a detailed autobiography because in the Tibetan tradition only fully enlightened lamas did that.

I may be wrong here, but i think i can slightly remember that he was ordained.

Nevertheless, i believe it is moot who may have been the first western ordained monk. Given that most serious monks do not exactly strive for fame, and that Buddhism exists for over 2500 years, and that there were even during the time of the old greeks cultural exchanges between east and west, there may have existed countless westerners who were ordained but are completely forgotten now.

There are certain theories that even place the historical Jesus into Buddhist monastries.

Right but we're talking about westerners ordained in the Tibetan tradition. With Theravada western ordinations goes back quite a bit further.

But it only matters if you attach particular significance to 'firsts'. Publishers like to dig up 'firsts' to market books because that's what the market wants.

It's interesting that after Seagal became a serious Buddhist he absolutely refused to do any of his old-style gratuitous violence movies, despite considerable loss of income and being personally threatened by the Mob.

I caught the last 20 minutes of Belly of the Beast on cable recently. Despite the silliness, the idea of monks chanting to counteract an evil sorcerer's power doesn't seem far from popular Thai belief to me. What's an action star to do when he gets religion?

It's interesting that after Seagal became a serious Buddhist he absolutely refused to do any of his old-style gratuitous violence movies, despite considerable loss of income and being personally threatened by the Mob.

I caught the last 20 minutes of Belly of the Beast on cable recently. Despite the silliness, the idea of monks chanting to counteract an evil sorcerer's power doesn't seem far from popular Thai belief to me. What's an action star to do when he gets religion?

That was the best part of the movie, I thought anyway.

I actually watched the whole of "Belly of the Beast" - it was moronic, so bad that it was actually funny, and had lotsa violence, no different from any other Seagal flick.

I thought it was hillarious how he walks around pretending that his incrompehensable garble was Thai language, and making the wai at all the wrong occasions just like any other sextourist.