Are electrical appliances and entertainment systems expensive in Thailand?

Potential Teacher

With regards to things such as, but not limited to;

Fridge

Laptop

Computer Components

Video Games (are they purchasable in stores or is it mostly direct download) (I am a big World of Warcraft fan)

Microwave

Blender

When compared to your country's prices.

I know transport and food are cheap in Thailand, but what about electronics?

Any advice and wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Potential Teacher

Appliances are priced quite similar to the UK although some things are more expensive. For example a tumble dryer for drying clothes is more expensive in Thailand. There's not much availability of stand alone upright freezers as I found recently.

These appliance item tend to be one off purchases so I wouldn't dwell on it too much if I were you.

I've heard that supplements are outrageously priced much higher than foreign suppliers.

Computer components are reasonably priced.

Large fridge freezers a bit less than UK prices for good brand names. Microwaves are cheaper in the UK. Computer components are comparable in the main as I recall. Blenders are cheap in Thailand.

Not really a lot in the prices overall though. What you do tend to lose out on in Thailand are the guarantees. Beware toasters in Thailand. It took me years to find one that worked for more than 6 months.

Unless they are made there the only reason they would be cheaper is a lower sales markup / margin.

In that case something has to give usually afrer sales service and support.

If an item is being made in say China, the Thailand sales system would be paying a similar price to someone selling in europe

Appliances are priced quite similar to the UK although some things are more expensive. For example a tumble dryer for drying clothes is more expensive in Thailand. There's not much availability of stand alone upright freezers as I found recently.

These appliance item tend to be one off purchases so I wouldn't dwell on it too much if I were you.

I've heard that supplements are outrageously priced much higher than foreign suppliers.

Ah, the same as South Africa then, supplements here are for the rich. Luckily 2 kg of Whey Protein lasts me forever.

Large fridge freezers a bit less than UK prices for good brand names. Microwaves are cheaper in the UK. Computer components are comparable in the main as I recall. Blenders are cheap in Thailand.

Not really a lot in the prices overall though. What you do tend to lose out on in Thailand are the guarantees. Beware toasters in Thailand. It took me years to find one that worked for more than 6 months.

Hmm, they must all be chinese then, your thoughts on buying second hand?

they dont seem to last as long as UK products and fail very quickly and try getting a replacement ! customer service does not rule

Really? Is that in regards to farangs or all Thailand's community?

some electricals are cheaper but be warned, nothing in Thailand is made to last. Have had items break the first time they were used, very cheaply made unfortunately and there isnt a lot of service on them. New led flat screen TV buggered up in the first week, took almost 5 weeks before it was fixed & returned, any other country would have replaced it on the spot, not here they are sent away to be fixed. only thing that was replaced instantly was a tp link router, brilliant service from them but it is not to be found with anyone else unfortunately. Buy at your own risk, warranties are hit and miss as they will try to blame you for anything that happens, also beware of any computer/laptop purchases as they will load them with pirate software that is riddled with virus's, buy genuine software only to load yourself but you may have to get it from overseas as a lot of what is sealed "genuine" software here is actually fake/pirated. Stick with the bigger reputable stores or you may be ripped off pretty badly.

Hmm, that is unfortunate to hear with myself not liking conflict. How do you handle a situation where they do not want to exchange your product without 'losing face'? I don't get angry, but in South Africa many people only listen to you after you get assertive with them.

Ah, the same as South Africa then, supplements here are for the rich. Luckily 2 kg of Whey Protein lasts me forever.

Hmm, they must all be chinese then, your thoughts on buying second hand?

they dont seem to last as long as UK products and fail very quickly and try getting a replacement ! customer service does not rule

Really? Is that in regards to farangs or all Thailand's community?

some electricals are cheaper but be warned, nothing in Thailand is made to last. Have had items break the first time they were used, very cheaply made unfortunately and there isnt a lot of service on them. New led flat screen TV buggered up in the first week, took almost 5 weeks before it was fixed & returned, any other country would have replaced it on the spot, not here they are sent away to be fixed. only thing that was replaced instantly was a tp link router, brilliant service from them but it is not to be found with anyone else unfortunately. Buy at your own risk, warranties are hit and miss as they will try to blame you for anything that happens, also beware of any computer/laptop purchases as they will load them with pirate software that is riddled with virus's, buy genuine software only to load yourself but you may have to get it from overseas as a lot of what is sealed "genuine" software here is actually fake/pirated. Stick with the bigger reputable stores or you may be ripped off pretty badly.

Hmm, that is unfortunate to hear with myself not liking conflict. How do you handle a situation where they do not want to exchange your product without 'losing face'? I don't get angry, but in South Africa many people only listen to you after you get assertive with them.

That's the one SA attribute, ie the aggressive, assertive thing, I would leave in SA if I was you, know exactly what your talking about will not go down well here,

In my recent experience prices are similar and sometimes more expensive in Thailand, for instance the same Philips jug kettle was 40% cheaper in England. Cameras and most other electronics are more or less the same but with only a 1 year warranty. Bought a new washing machine, made in Thailand, recently, the same make as the one I've had for 24 years and it produced an error after 3-4 months, both circuit boards replaced under warranty and first time it was used came up with another error. Told my supplier I wanted a new one of a different make and ask her which one of these 2 and she said neither I use Siemens made in Germany!

Bought a Canon camera in Thailand, no problems but a Panasonic camera bought in England had to be sent back there for repair under warranty. Small electrical appliances are always best from known brands, Philips toaster a few years old and no problems, but not so with rice cooker.

Canon service is very good and was FOC when I needed a repair, same with Brother Service for printers but not FOC and also others. Some are not so good but can be persuaded if you are persistent!

Have bought a pc in Thailand that has been pretty good, however, last one purchased in England as brand not sold in Thailand. However, Teamviewer is an excellent way to get the supplier to investigate problems with both their installed software and their hardware.

Edited by Anon999

I bought a food processor here, from Emporium. Cost was like 13,000 baht.

It went tits up in a month. They "fixed" it after two months. It soon smoked, one night, more than Cheech and Chong in Up In Smoke. The only thing that survived melt-down was the "bowl."

On a trip home four years ago, I went to Walmart. I bought a 110 volt, mini-food processor for $13. Less than 500 hundred baht.

I pulse it with the 220 volts here. I use it often. It's like a pit bull. The 13,000 baht unit is on my porch. I use it to grow mint. I use the smaller one to chop it for mint sauce.

Small appliances here are garbage.

Supplements, whose purity I would not trust if local made, are ridiculously high.

Most, but not all, larger appliances are fairly competitive, if you buy quality brands.

Edited by HeijoshinCool

We have 4 tv's, 2 dvd players, 4 set top boxes, 2 computers, microwave, oven + hob, 3 fridges, freezer, 7 ac, 7 fans, 4 water heaters, toaster, kettle, water purifier and swimming pool pump and none have them have broken in the last 4 years. Maybe we just take good care of our stuff and by the way most of this stuff is not made in Thailand but imported from China and Japan where the Uk and US get their products from. So much for bad quality Thai products.

• Like 1

In my recent experience prices are similar and sometimes more expensive in Thailand, for instance the same Philips jug kettle was 40% cheaper in England. Cameras and most other electronics are more or less the same but with only a 1 year warranty. Bought a new washing machine, made in Thailand, recently, the same make as the one I've had for 24 years and it produced an error after 3-4 months, both circuit boards replaced under warranty and first time it was used came up with another error. Told my supplier I wanted a new one of a different make and ask her which one of these 2 and she said neither I use Siemens made in Germany!

Bought a Canon camera in Thailand, no problems but a Panasonic camera bought in England had to be sent back there for repair under warranty. Small electrical appliances are always best from known brands, Philips toaster a few years old and no problems, but not so with rice cooker.

Canon service is very good and was FOC when I needed a repair, same with Brother Service for printers but not FOC and also others. Some are not so good but can be persuaded if you are persistent!

Have bought a pc in Thailand that has been pretty good, however, last one purchased in England as brand not sold in Thailand. However, Teamviewer is an excellent way to get the supplier to investigate problems with both their installed software and their hardware.

I don't know for Siemens endcustomer products, but we have Siemens black listed in our company for their bad service on CNC controller.

We have a cheap LG washining machine an no problems at all, but we aren't heavy user. Like once every week.

Compared to Australia, most big apps are much cheaper. I bought Chinese no name brands of fridges, TV's washing machines, aircons, etc there as brand names were too expensive. In Thailand I have Samsung, Panasonic, and LG, Sony everything. Good quality, and cheap. The cheap brands are a risk, though. My Otto toaster was 3 months until the toast only cooked on 1 side, and the Otto BBQ was a 1 time user until it shorted and nearly gave me a heart attack. I lost the remote to my Alpha tv, and no luck in getting a replacement..So now...Brand names only.

Also are supplements expensive? I currently use Whey Protein in my diet, was wondering if the supplement industry in Thailand is a prosperous one.

Even here in Pattaya the bodybuider mecca, the protein powder is pricey and quality low to medium. You may switch to soy protein for a cheaper less sugared product.

The 1 pound bags cost the same as 5 pounds in America.

All the items you listed are more expensive here than they are in the US.

When buying items like these in Thailand, I always read the warranty details for the product and where offered I go for extended warranties. It has saved me a lot of money.

unfortunately there is not a lot you can do, they simply ignore anything you say, the tv was a top brand too, in Australia it would have been replaced on the spot but here they must have a different set up and once they sell it they refuse to take any responsibility. We set up 8 new units and 2 of the beds we bought broke the first might they were used, the furniture store refused to do anything about it until someone from the manufacturer checked them out, took a month. I went ballistic at them but they just turned and walked away and refused to talk to me, probably lucky they didnt understand what I was calling them but this is what happens here, get used to it.

That's the one SA attribute, ie the aggressive, assertive thing, I would leave in SA if I was you, know exactly what your talking about will not go down well here,

Yeah I agree 100%, I really hate that type of attitude, it's mostly the women though - I hate to stereotype, but it is.

I was standing behind a lady in BT Games a few weeks ago and she absolutely berated the behind the counter employee over a price difference, apparently something was cheaper on their website than the in-store price. The more he told her that he cannot alter the price (literally unable to) the more angry she got and threw a fit.

As if anger is going change the coding of their system. Sigh.

Also are supplements expensive? I currently use Whey Protein in my diet, was wondering if the supplement industry in Thailand is a prosperous one.

Very prosperous from what I have seen. I wouldn't trust the suppliers, makers and sellers though, sorry to say. No controls on any product here.

Very prosperous from what I have seen. I wouldn't trust the suppliers, makers and sellers though, sorry to say. No controls on any product here.

That sucks, because I actually count my macronutriental needs (with being a personal trainer and all). I've heard horror stories of supplement companies lying about their contents and even heard that some products coming from China can be poisonous.