Do's and Dont's when meeting a thai girls family for the first time?

ryro88

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's no plans to marry lol it's more or less just a trip to ubon to take a look around and a stop over in her house for a night or two on the way back to Bangkok. I just don't want to insult the family and not knowing I'm doing it that's why any tips would be great. Like the poster above posted about the feet thing I wouldn't have known to do that.

• Like 1

Be yourself and let them take care of you.

Take spoke prepared food for yourself, make sure your girlfriend explains why. But also try there food.

Ps: keep your wallet at home.

On the food note, make sure you get their religion right, not all are Buddhist.

In certain cases, it may not be appropriate to turn up with bacon sandwiches or pork scratchings................thumbsup.gif

Memorise the word -aroy (even if the food is muck say aroy with a big smile when eating) worked for me and I'm still eating the sh*te the MIL cooks 20 years on.

edit : don't touch the kids on the head like we do in the west big no no for some

Edited by ToddWeston
  • Like 1

Be yourself and let them take care of you.

Take spoke prepared food for yourself, make sure your girlfriend explains why. But also try there food.

Ps: keep your wallet at home.

Yeah, take your own food and bring out to eat when they are chowing down on whatever, or better sit outside alone and eat it.....great way to impress.

Is there anything that I should remember not do that would be perfectly normal in the western world tho maybe disrectful to a thai?

Dont leave the toilet seat up.

And according to some, dont wear shorts....but that is only if you like to grovel and cannot stand the thought of ever upsetting their sensitive souls.

Dont pick your teeth with your fingers....nor fart at the table...or floor.

• Like 1

A post has been removed as the reply was made within the quoted post. Even though different colored font was used, still modified the quoted post and in violation of this forum rule:

30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.