Why did you people come here originally?, i came for the women

jimbobs1

@Sheryl

Do you live in Thailand? Just wondering.

Anyway, I agree with you. Misread the OP.

95% stay here because of sex (love, romance, etc.), which makes both our posts in agreement.

Of course I live in Thailand. More than two decades.

I don't think you can get "95% stay here because of sex (love, romance)" out of this thread, either. People come here for one reason, after time many of those initially single marry a local, but that fact alone doesn't cause them to stay. They and their Thai spouse/partner could move back to farangland if desired. So there are still other factors. Many of which people have repeatedly mentioned: lower cost of living, warm weather, food/culture/laid back attitudes, professional interests, etc. The same factors mentioned by those who come here with farang partners and those who have remained single. And while I would agree, both from this thread and general observation, that a majority of long term expat residents marry or are partnered with a Thai, it doesn't reach to 95%.

• Like 1

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My wife says she would like to add her tuppence worth, we have looked at some of the posts with bewilderment , i seem to be the only person that actually married a bar lady,,,,mmmmmm right ha ha

"How they know what their wife do before they meet felang, many people lie" her words not mine

That is great you are married for 14 years , just because some girl was a bar girl does not mean they dont want love or a good future with the right person.

I am happy for you both .

I meet my wife who was a manager for AAT (ford/mazda) she came from a country town up north as her father was a farmer . she went to chiang Mai university and then got a job in the car industry .

I've been so happy since I have been with my wife. I would say that I've always tried to be a positive person and I try to look on the bright side of things, but being with my wife has brought me a joy that I have never known before. Life's just better with her in it, and I know that it always will be so. I hope that I will always be worthy of her love, and that I can be the kind of person that she deserves.

• Like 2

Had a job offer that lasted well over two years (originally 6 months). Was offered a second job for another company that has lasted another 2 years and have a third job offer that looks to be indefinite. Never considered coming here for the women as I had never any problems in the past (although married for 16 years till my wife passed away) finding and dating women.

But good on you OP, as another person stated who cares that the majority of people find it odd that the only place where the women would actually go on a date with you is here. If surrounded by like minded people then you should never have a problem with people putting you down. Well done laddy.

When in junior high, my Social Studies teacher (female) took a trip to Thailand and used her vacation pics as a teaching opportunity. Years later in a Guatemalan jungle an older gentleman mentioned that Thailand was a good place to hang out, which brought to mind the pictures taken by my teacher that I had enjoyed years before. After enduring a couple of mid-western winters I decided to skip one and spend the season wandering around Thailand. I have been hiding from the winter every year since.

Sorry I don't fit your mold. My mid-western upbringing instilled in me the idea that prostitutes are generally dirty pathetic junkies. The idea of sleeping with one was disgusting, flying half way around the world to see them never entered my thought process. Thailand has greatly changed my views about prostitutes but that certainly doesn't effect my mindset at the time or my reasons for coming originally. I still don't understand flying to the other side of the world to chase prostitutes but my opinion of them has moderated considerably.

Not why You came. But. after some cultural re-evalation of your midwest US puritan ethics compared to third world reality you decided you lked it and since you no longer have to travel 1/2 way around the world you stay for the Puddin'seems to be the gist of your writing

• Like 1

When in junior high, my Social Studies teacher (female) took a trip to Thailand and used her vacation pics as a teaching opportunity. Years later in a Guatemalan jungle an older gentleman mentioned that Thailand was a good place to hang out, which brought to mind the pictures taken by my teacher that I had enjoyed years before. After enduring a couple of mid-western winters I decided to skip one and spend the season wandering around Thailand. I have been hiding from the winter every year since.

Sorry I don't fit your mold. My mid-western upbringing instilled in me the idea that prostitutes are generally dirty pathetic junkies. The idea of sleeping with one was disgusting, flying half way around the world to see them never entered my thought process. Thailand has greatly changed my views about prostitutes but that certainly doesn't effect my mindset at the time or my reasons for coming originally. I still don't understand flying to the other side of the world to chase prostitutes but my opinion of them has moderated considerably.

Not why You came. But. after some cultural re-evalation of your midwest US puritan ethics compared to third world reality you decided you lked it and since you no longer have to travel 1/2 way around the world you stay for the Puddin'seems to be the gist of your writing

555 .... made me laugh.

I have been here for over 6 years and maybe it is my ignorance i never thought it was possible to get a job here that actually paid aswell as the Western world, so i applaud your ingenuity.

I for one need to travel to get money to live decent

Please tell , whats a frangipani?

look at my pic, plumeria or lillawadee

jimbobs1, on 13 Sept 2013 - 23:48, said:snapback.png

Please tell , whats a frangipani?

It's a tree. They are very beautiful. We have a few of them.

That's a tree?

The picture is of flowers from the trees.

No cultural re-evaluation or ethical dilemma. Early on I spoke no Thai and found that having a drink and some English conversation was a welcome relief to constantly struggling to speak Thai. I met some nice people and found they didn't all fit my preconceived ideas. I still don't have any interest in chasing prostitutes but I don't see them all as dirty pathetic junkies anymore. Thailand has moderated my views on many things. My lack of disdain for those in the profession does not mean I spend half my time in Thailand because I want their services. Read between the lines of what I write and find whatever gist makes you happy.

• Like 1

hahahahaha, mate, I never came for the women, I came over here originally for the frangipani as that is my business and Thailand has some of the best in the world. All my mates were telling me to enjoy the ladies but I didnt particularly want to take anything extra home so I simply ignored them until I accidentally met my future wife(not in a bar, I am not a drinker), she is also a frangipani enthusiast(and very close to my age & not out of my league) so we hit it off and I just kept coming back to spend time with her then we married and I moved over here to live with her & grow/work with my plants. There are some of us that didnt come here to play hide the sausage with all the ladies or to get on the piss, we have met our partners/wives but not in the usaul way(bar), I suppose this means we can still hang sh*t if we want too clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif width=31 alt=clap2.gif>cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif width=32 alt=cheesy.gif> 18x20xw00t.gif.pagespeed.ic.mm3WWmVptC.w width=18 alt=w00t.gif> 20x20xbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.r24L-a7U6 width=20 alt=biggrin.png>

A much more original reason, one of the best I have heard.

By the way, I brought back with me 4 cuttings from a couple of extremely yellow frangipani plants the other week from Bali. I have never seen such vibrant and strong yellow flowers here.

Oh and I never knew about the bars and scene before I came here first time, completely ignorant of it.

But I made up for that ignorance later.

No cultural re-evaluation or ethical dilemma. Early on I spoke no Thai and found that having a drink and some English conversation was a welcome relief to constantly struggling to speak Thai. I met some nice people and found they didn't all fit my preconceived ideas. I still don't have any interest in chasing prostitutes but I don't see them all as dirty pathetic junkies anymore. Thailand has moderated my views on many things. My lack of disdain for those in the profession does not mean I spend half my time in Thailand because I want their services. Read between the lines of what I write and find whatever gist makes you happy.

fair comment

The O/P arrived in the LOS. looking for a laugh, to get drunk, and have some fun with the hookers, BUT married a prostitute (and so did all of his friends), and he thinks this is the farang/ thai culture.

Yes but she is not a prostitute no more, she has a beautiful house and array of wonderful cars

2 beautiful girls and more gold than Peru.. she is the queen of the village, and her mother and father have a good life,,,,,even the poor dogs get fed and treated well

She did what she did to feed her little baby, not for drugs or drink,

The wonderful lady regrets every day she sold herself......I WISH I WOULD HAVE FOUND HER SOONER

Shes such a beautiful person, i really respect what she has done,,,,its not easy to be a brass

You look beyond your tiny mind and look at swampy airport,,,,theres alot of people in the same boat as me