Need some help here.

newatthis

Hi all,

I'm not a computer whiz. In fact, I've only had this laptop about 18mths. First computer I've ever owned. So I need your help here.

My wife has just returned from the computer shop after they had to install new "Windows Programme??" I've had to do this twice in the last 6 weeks.

Yesterday, when trying to open Windows it just said something like "Trying to reconfigure Windows...attempt failed" When eventually it did open and I clicked on Firefox, a box opened which said "0x0000005 The application was unable to start correctly." Same for MS Word, Bittorrent etc.

The computer shop told my wife it was a virus; the same as the last visit 6 weeks ago.

What do I use my computer for?

1. Hotmail including opening Bangkok Post and Thai Visa

2. Searching for teaching material and world news

3. Word processing

4. I download from EZTV and Torrent Day using Bittorrent

That's basically it. Can anyone help me as to what is causing this problem? Is it a virus?

Is it coming through Bittorrent or hotmail? can I install an anti-virus programme on the computer that will check anything before I download?

Thanks a lot

Hi There

I know many will disagree with me but why have Firefox installed?

As you knowledge of computers is limited why complicate things? Windows come with Internet Explorer and there is nothing wrong with using that. Keep things simple.

As you only use a few programs I would have a look and uninstall anything that you don't use that the "computer shop" may have loaded for you.

You MUST have an anti virus program I use the free Avira as my real time protection as it will flag any potential virus before it downloads.

You should also run programs like CCleaner and SpyBot and Malwarebytes and Super AntispyWare all free editions at least once a week.

Hope this helps.

biggrin.png

Did you purchase the laptop here in Thailand and is the Windows OS a Genuine Licensed version o bootleg copy?
What Anti-Virus software do you have installed on the machine?
How are you connected to the Internet?

A virus or trojan code can affect a machine from several points

- bootleg copies of OS, or copied app installation software
- downloading applications

- downloading some forms of media with hidden payloads

- accessing websites that inject hidden code
- being directly connected to the Internet (ie, no firewall)
- computer having open/vulnerable ports accessible to outside machines
- software that opens ports to outside systems

There are many avenues.
The best protection is to follow safe practices:
- Genuine OS received directly from a trusted source
- Some form of AntiVirus/Security software with updates and set for your environment (only machine or open shared network)
- Acquire software directly from trusted source
- Browse only trustworthy sites
- P2P software (torrenting, etc) isn't inherently trustworthy.

http://www.superantispyware.com/

For spyware. Install. Run. See what is on the PC.

Try an online virus checker to see immediately if there are any virus on your computer.

Bit Defender will do nicely.

http://quickscan.bitdefender.com/

Have you got a firewall installed?

Comodo will do that too.

http://www.comodo.com/

All ^^^ are free. Easy to use.

Then if you feel the need to, you can install other spyware/antivirus/firewall.

As said you need anti-virus installed and be aware internet is not the only source for virus - in fact it maybe minor to local CD's and memory sticks - these need to be checked by anti-virus before being run. Also be aware there are many fake torrents so if you do not know what something is be careful. Never allow any downloads with ".exe" at end of name to be run unless you have downloaded a program from a trusted source. Most video will end with MP4/MKV/AVI/FLV and such - if you see something unusual do not take a chance.

Preparing To Configure Windows... is what you get during a installation of Windows Updates. There have been two batches of faulty Windows Updates in a row from Microsoft. As aforementioned, combining that with a 'hooky' copy of Windows makes it more complcated than necessary.

What is the brand name and full model number of this machine and from where did you purchase it?

• Like 1

Try an online virus checker to see immediately if there are any virus on your computer.

Bit Defender will do nicely.

http://quickscan.bitdefender.com/

I tried this just awhile back as I suspect my lappy has some kind of problem but all I got

was a radar like screen and the progress indicator stuck on 0%. Looks like trouble?

Sorry for late reply. Have not used computer since yesterday morning.

Computer is a Toshiba Satellite L840 bought from the Toshiba dealer here. Internet connection is Wi-fi through 3BB

It is interesting what you wrote about updates, Jiu-Jitsu. Kept on getting "do not turn off computer, Windows updating" a few times before this happened.

I presume that the OS is not a genuine product but a copy as it came with the laptop.

Have now installed Avira as recommended by Daffy D. Will do more when I come home this arvo.

Thanks a million everyone. Really appreciate your help.

Sorry for late reply. Have not used computer since yesterday morning.

Computer is a Toshiba Satellite L840 bought from the Toshiba dealer here. Internet connection is Wi-fi through 3BB

It is interesting what you wrote about updates, Jiu-Jitsu. Kept on getting "do not turn off computer, Windows updating" a few times before this happened.

I presume that the OS is not a genuine product but a copy as it came with the laptop.

Have now installed Avira as recommended by Daffy D. Will do more when I come home this arvo.

Thanks a million everyone. Really appreciate your help.

L840 is not the full model number, is it? There is a number on the bottom such as this: PSK8NL-002002. Give me that one instead.

No Windows Certificate of Authenticity stuck on the underside?

Did you have an antivirus solution before Avira?

Rather than looking at what programs you have installed now and encouraging to install more, I'll have a look at the OS installation in the first instance.

Sending you a PM.