Opinion: We're failing as a country

Lite Beer

Money makes many evil men. Most things in Thailand seem to revolve around money. Much much more so than in other countries, even other undeveloped countries. The corruption, whether its cheats, lies, scams, attacks.... It's all very much about the Baht here. Lack of security, overdone?

She does well, we do well. She fails, we fail.

Sad to say , " she isn't the one ruining running this country.

Remove the puppet master and his family and their brown nosing acolytes then Thailand and the people of Thailand might just have a chance.

Tribalism in action. facepalm.gif

• Like 1

"Mastubatory circles". My mind is boggling now!!

Should have been 'Circle Jerk' whistling.gif

When a bunch of blowhards - usually politicians - get together for a debate but usually end up agreeing with each other's viewpoints to the point of redundancy, stroking each other's egos as if they were extensions of their genitals (ergo, the mastubatory insinuation). Basically, it's what happens when the choir preaches to itself.

LOL

• Like 2

And guess what this failure is not

due to outsiders/farangs it is due

to the Thais themselves so they have no one to blame but themselvesBut of course some will still try to blame outsiders/farangs but in

reality if they took some of the good advice from outsiders/farangs

they would be a lot better off but

then not losing face is more

important then anything else.

When a bunch of blowhards - usually politicians - get together for a debate but usually end up agreeing with each other's viewpoints to the point of redundancy, stroking each other's egos as if they were extensions of their genitals (ergo, the mastubatory insinuation). Basically, it's what happens when the choir preaches to itself.

LOL

Surely its when the "congregation" preaches to itself. The "choir" would sing to itself. Too much masterbatory stuff going on here for my liking. Or licking... bah.gif

Should have been 'Circle Jerk' xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.FVjgnKnWS1.p alt=whistling.gif width=19 height=18>

LOL

And Barnharn leading the latest reconciliation talkfest comes to mind.

(Well at least Sanoe not in the circle, that's a blessing.)

Edited by scorecard

Thailand , fails as a country , only because of selfish people who wish to cast influence over the country, for their own purpose, Thailand is not failing, because of its good people, and this is where the difference lies, there seems to be in some quarters that domination , intimidation is the way to control the people, that may have been so in the junta era, however Thailand as a nation has stepped out of that prehistoric time and has defined it's self, what needs to be done is that the backward, inward looking people need to leave the scene and allow the new breed to bring Thailand into the year 2013, living in past glory only places the nation in the back woods of democracy, unfortunately the present administration and their supporters live in that era, the past.bah.gif width=19 alt=bah.gif>

Agree, but unfortunately the capable new age Thai thinkers (and there are plenty of them) simply don't want to be associated with the smelly no ethics clans / get real rich real quick clubs, who currently run control and milk the country.

Perhaps even worse these clans / clubs have no respect whatever for the law and even expect they should be pardoned for abuse of authority for personal gain, etc., all of which is based on selfishness, with no intent whatever in terms of building a civil society.

IMHO it's still a long way to go before we see the rise of the educated new age middle classes, but there is no doubt whatever, in my mind, that time will come, and it will be a strong capable force, it will demand change and it will have the power to force change. History will repeat itself as already seen in dozens of other countries.

Unfortunately it's not tomorrow

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

LOL

for real? I honestly thought the author was being polite. Was this really a translation issue? or am I showing my naivety?

LOL

for real? I honestly thought the author was being polite. Was this really a translation issue? or am I showing my naivety?

It's for real. He must have a good command of English to understand the slang. He could have only gone one better and said they were pulling each other off.

However I don't think that will translate to Thai very well. Chuck-Wow (masturbate) literally translates as the pulling action when flying a kite. So essentially the journalist is saying the politicians are flying kites. On second thoughts, it's probably not too far away.

I wonder if he'd comprehend the Master Bates, Seaman Stains, and Rodger the Cabin Boy innuendos from the take off of the Cap'n Pugwash kids program back in the 60's? whistling.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

This article makes interesting reading. Only to fall at the last paragraph. when he suggest continued support for a prime minister who he has criticised for not leading the country,

So maybe the title should read "We fail as a country"

I understand the guy is just covering himself against any legal actions of defamation of certain politicians. And maybe that is where the failure is. I know it is easier said than done but until someone is actually prepared to criticise without the get out clause of a complete about face such as this article then People power will never work. As it is grass root change that is needed.

When voters sell their vote to the highest bidder or are promised subsidies for votes, they get what they wanted, money.

IMO that is really what it is all about. there may be a few people who vote for a party because they believe the philosophy. But the majority are only really interested in payment for voting. It would appear that most politicians only care for the money and not the country.

Which makes you wonder, would most Thais vote if they did not get paid? Or who would they vote for if they weren't paid to vote. Also we know from various polls that Thais think there is nothing wrong with corruption. So the mentality is already wired towards corruption.

The fact is no one is in a great hurry to change anything because all parties involved and I don't mean just political parties I also mean the citizens of Thailand are quite happy with the current situation. Just as long as they get theirs!

Well yes, but somewhere in this puzzle is the fact that the vast majority of Thais don't have any deep understanding, or even simple understanding of democracy etc., so they have no real goal for change.

I've said this before, just before the last general election my Thai adult son asked his neighbors in the next house 'how will you decide who to vote for?' Their response, 'the party which promises to keep egg and pork prices down'. In reality the neighbors, both husband and wife, are doctors of medicine. One has a senior position in a regional health office.

My son asked 'but what about long-term policy to improve education, etc etc. They laughed and said 'there's no such thing anywhere in the world, that's not possible.'

Since then my son has asked them carefully about 'the lack of respect for the law'. Again they laugh, they don't accept that there's any serious problem with the BIB situation 'it's the same as every other country.'

They also subscribe to the notion that it's best to have very rich people at the top so that there can be handouts, new roads, etc. They believe that this is the way USA, Germany, UK, Australia etc., etc., operates.

This article makes interesting reading. Only to fall at the last paragraph. when he suggest continued support for a prime minister who he has criticised for not leading the country,

I understand the guy is just covering himself against any legal actions of defamation of certain politicians. And maybe that is where the failure is. I know it is easier said than done but until someone is actually prepared to criticise without the get out clause of a complete about face such as this article then People power will never work. As it is grass root change that is needed.

When voters sell their vote to the highest bidder or are promised subsidies for votes, they get what they wanted, money.

IMO that is really what it is all about. there may be a few people who vote for a party because they believe the philosophy. But the majority are only really interested in payment for voting. It would appear that most politicians only care for the money and not the country.

Which makes you wonder, would most Thais vote if they did not get paid? Or who would they vote for if they weren't paid to vote. Also we know from various polls that Thais think there is nothing wrong with corruption. So the mentality is already wired towards corruption.

The fact is no one is in a great hurry to change anything because all parties involved and I don't mean just political parties I also mean the citizens of Thailand are quite happy with the current situation. Just as long as they get theirs!

Well yes, but somewhere in this puzzle is the fact that the vast majority of Thais don't have any deep understanding, or even simple understanding of democracy etc., so they have no real goal for change.

I've said this before, just before the last general election my Thai adult son asked his neighbors in the next house 'how will you decide who to vote for?' Their response, 'the party which promises to keep egg and pork prices down'. In reality the neighbors, both husband and wife, are doctors of medicine. One has a senior position in a regional health office.

My son asked 'but what about long-term policy to improve education, etc etc. They laughed and said 'there's no such thing anywhere in the world, that's not possible.'

Since then my son has asked them carefully about 'the lack of respect for the law'. Again they laugh, they don't accept that there's any serious problem with the BIB situation 'it's the same as every other country.'

They also subscribe to the notion that it's best to have very rich people at the top so that there can be handouts, new roads, etc. They believe that this is the way USA, Germany, UK, Australia etc., etc., operates.

I agree with you about the lack of knowledge or understanding of what democracy is. Maybe that is why I feel there is a disconnect between politicians and the public in general. From what your sons neighbours think about it being the same around the world, proves that they are not interested in questioning anything or even trying to improve the the situation, they accept because they cannot change what is, maybe!

I dare say because of this the lowest common denominator is the selling of their vote to the highest bidder, happy to leave the ruling classes to their trough. It is up to future generations to start to question this. If indeed they have the courage to change the system.

Edited by metisdead

Thailand , fails as a country , only because of selfish people who wish to cast influence over the country, for their own purpose, Thailand is not failing, because of its good people, and this is where the difference lies, there seems to be in some quarters that domination , intimidation is the way to control the people, that may have been so in the junta era, however Thailand as a nation has stepped out of that prehistoric time and has defined it's self, what needs to be done is that the backward, inward looking people need to leave the scene and allow the new breed to bring Thailand into the year 2013, living in past glory only places the nation in the back woods of democracy, unfortunately the present administration and their supporters live in that era, the past.bah.gif

Pardon me but would you be kind enough to point out past glory for Thailand?

• Like 1

Hear hear Khun Voranai,

You always seem to hit the nail on the head, don't you feel that it's a waste of time? The people who care have no power and the people with power don't care! There is only one branch of the executive that has any real power and it is silent on the abuses of the so-called representatives of the people!

Som nom na...you get the government you deserve! thumbsup.gifwai.gif IMHO

• Like 1

I agree with you about the lack of knowledge or understanding of what democracy is. Maybe that is why I feel there is a disconnect between politicians and the public in general. From what your sons neighbours think about it being the same around the world, proves that they are not interested in questioning anything or even trying to improve the the situation, they accept because they cannot change what is, maybe!

I dare say because of this the lowest common denominator is the selling of their vote to the highest bidder, happy to leave the ruling classes to their trough. It is up to future generations to start to question this. If indeed they have the courage to change the system.

Have seen this attitude that they are mimicking the rest of the world very often in Thailand. If only they knew.

She does well, we do well. She fails, we fail.

Sad to say , " she isn't the one ruining running this country.

Remove the puppet master and his family and their brown nosing acolytes then Thailand and the people of Thailand might just have a chance.

Tribalism in action. facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif width=24 alt=facepalm.gif>

Criticizing a corrupt politician is not "tribalism".