What is the limit on alcohol I can take with me to Thailand?

Shurup

Going for a short trip back to Canada, thinking of taking some of Canadian whiskey back with me, but what is the limit on hard alcohol?

I presume you mean the limit for duty free?

I would be surpised if there was an actual limit that you can bring, most countries ahve no limit as long as you declare it & pay all relevant taxes on it.

• Like 1

Going for a short trip back to Canada, thinking of taking some of Canadian whiskey back with me, but what is the limit on hard alcohol?

I would be surpised if there was an actual limit that you can bring, most countries ahve no limit as long as you declare it & pay all relevant taxes on it.

It doesn't work that way in Thailand. If you bring in more than the limit you can be subject to a fine of three times the value of what you bring in and it will be confiscated too. Bringing in a 'little bit extra' can cost big money.

Edited by sustento
  • Like 1

Also note: Unless your flight is direct you will have to pack your liquids in your checkin baggage (anything greater than 100ml).

i.e. if you are transiting at another airport on the way and if you are hand-carrying your bottle of Whisky when passing through a security checkpoint you will have it confiscated.

BS! if bought in transit and in a sealed transparent bag it's do-able (least it was 3 months ago)

While 1 litre is the limit I have consistently brought in more usually packed in my check in luggage (both wine and spirits). While I wouldn't recommend pushing the limits I'm just letting you know what my experience has been. Ive travelled into Thailand 8 or 9 times in the last 24 months. I usually bring in 4 750ml bottles. I've never been searched at customs. I usually arrive after midnight if that is a factor and no one seems to be searched with 1 or 2 customs staff sitting making a poor attempt at looking attentive. For me I don't have any hesitation in bringing in 3 litres each time.

While 1 litre is the limit I have consistently brought in more usually packed in my check in luggage (both wine and spirits). While I wouldn't recommend pushing the limits I'm just letting you know what my experience has been. Ive travelled into Thailand 8 or 9 times in the last 24 months. I usually bring in 4 750ml bottles. I've never been searched at customs. I usually arrive after midnight if that is a factor and no one seems to be searched with 1 or 2 customs staff sitting making a poor attempt at looking attentive. For me I don't have any hesitation in bringing in 3 litres each time.

If you ever do get caught pushing your limits and luck and end up with a big fine, do us a favour and don't make a thread/topic on Thai Visa about it, oh and don't forget that Thai Customs don't just operate at the goods to declare/nothing to declare point, their outside in the pick up points waiting to pounce on people who think they have got away with it..rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Up to you, BUT, on very rare occasions. I've twice had my checked-in case x-rayed on ARRIVAL at Swampy. I went through the "Nothing to declare" channel and about a third of people were being pulled out and their bags checked. I was legal and on my way in less than 5 minutes, and no I do not know what they were looking for. It does happen.

Edited by VBF

depend , last ime i bring about 40 bottle between wiskey, gin, and vodka from Lao and i just tell it to police how much they want and i just pay them 3000 thb, with no recipt of course; and no problem

I don't think that will work if you're flying in.

It doesn't work that way in Thailand. If you bring in more than the limit you can be subject to a fine of three times the value of what you bring in and it will be confiscated too. Bringing in a 'little bit extra' can cost big money.

I always thought it was ten times the value, oh and then don't forget the farang add on....facepalm.gif

Also note: Unless your flight is direct you will have to pack your liquids in your checkin baggage (anything greater than 100ml).

i.e. if you are transiting at another airport on the way and if you are hand-carrying your bottle of Whisky when passing through a security checkpoint you will have it confiscated.

BS! if bought in transit and in a sealed transparent bag it's do-able (least it was 3 months ago)

In your haste to call BS you actually agreed with my comment !...

The Op is flying from Canada which in all likelihood involves transit at one or two airports along the route. The Op will not be permitted to hand-carry his Canadian Whisky purchased in Canada through security checkpoints at his transit locations.

Or in more simple terms for you johnlandy: Can you hand carry anything liquid greater than 100ml onto a flight if not purchased at duty free at the final transit destination ?

The Ops only options are:

1) Check the locally (Canada) purchased Whisky in with his checkin luggage.

or

2) Purchase a bottle of Whisky (and hope they have the Canadian Whisky he wants) at duty free at the last transit stop before entering Thailand.

Example: IF I purchased a bottle of Whisky at duty free London Heathrow and was transiting Dubai on the way to Bangkok, the bottle of Whisky would be confiscated at the Security check at Dubai Airport.

• Like 1

I always thought it was ten times the value, oh and then don't forget the farang add on....facepalm.gif

I think it's either 3 or 4 times - don't think it's as much as ten though. It's still enough to ruin your day.

• Like 1

In the past 3 or 4 years I have been stopped twice after I cleared the GREEN channel and was walking to get a taxi. Both times they were after cigarettes. In fact one of these times I had a $1000 watch new in a box, the customs guy seen it and asked who it was for, but he showed no real interest. He was after cigarette smugglers. ha ha

• Like 1

Just found the below link..

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/local-laws-and-customs

Just found the below link..

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/local-laws-and-customs

w00t.gif

In your haste to call BS you actually agreed with my comment !...

The Op is flying from Canada which in all likelihood involves transit at one or two airports along the route. The Op will not be permitted to hand-carry his Canadian Whisky purchased in Canada through security checkpoints at his transit locations.

Or in more simple terms for you johnlandy: Can you hand carry anything liquid greater than 100ml onto a flight if not purchased at duty free at the final transit destination ?

The Ops only options are:

1) Check the locally (Canada) purchased Whisky in with his checkin luggage.

or

2) Purchase a bottle of Whisky (and hope they have the Canadian Whisky he wants) at duty free at the last transit stop before entering Thailand.

Example: IF I purchased a bottle of Whisky at duty free London Heathrow and was transiting Dubai on the way to Bangkok, the bottle of Whisky would be confiscated at the Security check at Dubai Airport.

All depends on the civility and sensibility of the nations, A bottle bought and sealed in the bag with in the EU can be transited through other EU security checks, I buy in LHR and transit through Schiphol and Helsinki on a regular basis, no problems.

Thanks for all the replies, the bottle will travel from Canada in my check in bag and I have no intentions of "smuggling" anything, just want to share a bottle of Canadian whiskey with my friends, something for a change from locally available brands.

It is true that some countries can give some slack to some passengers so I believe there are cases when someone went through a couple of security checks with a bottle in sealed duty free bag, it is not the rule.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

not if you declare it at customs recently brought 6 crates of beer lao 12 bottles booze 25 boxes of sigarettes just paid the import tax and thats it

not if you declare it at customs recently brought 6 crates of beer lao 12 bottles booze 25 boxes of sigarettes just paid the import tax and thats it

Don't try it flying into Suvarnabhumi

• 3 weeks later...

I lost a Buddha statue at the old Don Mueng a few years back because I didn't have the right paperwork - it was only a small wooden carved one apparently I needed an export licence from the Thai Fine Arts Department. Funny because they had a load of Buddha statues for sale in the airport gift shop.