U.S. citizen cant afford his visa anymore, options please...

True, they don't check. However, it is also true that it is a binding legal document and could come back to haunt you later on if you are found to have lied. My marriage is based on an affidavit on the US end and I was told the penalties I would face if I lied (I was just swearing in front of an embassy worker that I was not currently married to anyone). It works as a document with the Thais and other countries because you will end up in federal prison for perjury if you lie and that comes to light. If the guy is stays here and all stays in order, I guess it wouldn't matter much. But, if for some reason, something pops up, it can land you in serious doo-doo.

"...it is a binding legal document and could come back to haunt you later on if you are found to have lied"

And everyone else who uses this method of proving their income. And once again someone is promoting an illegal act since whoever swears something that he/she knows is false before the consular officer is committing an illegal act under US law and by representing the information to Immigrations as his/her actual income is also committing an offense against Thai law. So before long this method will no longer be accepted and it'll make life just that much more difficult for everyone else who had been acting honestly.

Some of the same people who complain about corruption in Thailand are hardly in a position to point fingers.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

True, they don't check. However, it is also true that it is a binding legal document and could come back to haunt you later on if you are found to have lied. My marriage is based on an affidavit on the US end and I was told the penalties I would face if I lied (I was just swearing in front of an embassy worker that I was not currently married to anyone). It works as a document with the Thais and other countries because you will end up in federal prison for perjury if you lie and that comes to light. If the guy is stays here and all stays in order, I guess it wouldn't matter much. But, if for some reason, something pops up, it can land you in serious doo-doo.

"...it is a binding legal document and could come back to haunt you later on if you are found to have lied"

And everyone else who uses this method of proving their income. And once again someone is promoting an illegal act since whoever swears something that he/she knows is false before the consular officer is committing an illegal act under US law and by representing the information to Immigrations as his/her actual income is also committing an offense against Thai law. So before long this method will no longer be accepted and it'll make life just that much more difficult for everyone else who had been acting honestly.

Some of the same people who complain about corruption in Thailand are hardly in a position to point fingers.

Sorry, I hope that wasn't directed at me. I swore that I had never been married...that is it (and I hadn't, until I married my Thai wife, which is what the affidavit was for). The guy told me exactly the penalty for lying, and it wasn't pretty-a few years in jail and a hefty fine (think US$ terms, not Thai terms). So, I wasn't condoning anyone doing this. Quite the contrary, I was saying that it is not a good idea to mess with the US govt or, for that matter, the Thai govt.

If he lives in aranyapratet, he can just cross the border every 15 days.

Yes that is an option I suppose but he is recovering from cancer and is far from good health. But the biggest drawback of the 15 day border run is the amount of room it will take up in his passport, even if it is currently empty I think it would fill up quickly.
E-visa,saves space.

If he lives in aranyapratet, he can just cross the border every 15 days.

Yes that is an option I suppose but he is recovering from cancer and is far from good health. But the biggest drawback of the 15 day border run is the amount of room it will take up in his passport, even if it is currently empty I think it would fill up quickly.
E-visa,saves space.

Seems everyone here has got there mind set on a 1 year visa ... if he's legally married, there are other options. He can apply for a 3 month non-o marriage visa instead. At least you can in Vientiane, but I would assume you can at most other Thai embassies as well. It costs 2000 baht, and as far as I know you can apply for this indefinitely. You don't need to show any source of income, but you'll have to go across the border and visit a Thai Embassy every three months, though. Afterwards, depending on how far it is to the closest immigration office, I think you can get a 2 month extension as well, without leaving Thailand.

It all depends on his health. Would he be able to make that trip every three months? And how far from the nearest border does he live?

Edit: I recently did both the Thai non-O marriage visa and the 2 month extension – so I know this is a possibility.

Edited by Sirbergan

This is the only country in the world that I know of if you marry one of their citizens you do not have right of abode. It is disgraceful. Thailand in 2013 is still racist.

The OP's friend's predicament is unfortunate he has my sympathies and maybe Thailand remains racist/sexist compared to developed countries in many respects but it is far from being the only country that declines to provide automatic right of abode anyone who happens to marry one of their citizens. This is also the case in the UK, the US, most of Europe as well as most Asian countries, certainly Singapapore, Malaysia and China. In Western countries it depends more on the citizen's income. I doubt very much that the OP's friend would be able to get right of abode for his wife in the US, if he has a very low retirement income there and probably not a tourist visa either. I have met Americans living on social security pensions and welfare in the US who were trying for the umpteenth time to obtain settlement visas for their Thai wives that they have been married to for years but are forced to live apart.

You need to see things from the Thai perspective. They let in everyone with farang country passports without even checking for criminal records and allow them to live in their country permanently with annual renewals, as long as they can make the financial requirements for retirement or marriage extensions which they think aren't very high for farangs and they are very scared of being overrun. If they gave automatic rights to permanent right of abode to anyone who marries a Thai imagine what might happen, given that there are around 4 million foreigners from neighbouring countries living in Thailand, at least half of whom are undocumented. Once you give people permanent right of abode you have to take responsibility for them. You can't leave them without healthcare, for example, because that would create a risk of infectious diseases spreading. Since most Thais never register their marriages, there would be millions of legally single men and women who might be willing to "marry" a foreigner for money.

Sadly automatic right of abode for someone who happens to marry a Thai is never going to happen.

I really don't know where you get your information from, but in developed countries if you marry legally through their system the partner does get Right of Abode, are you mistaking it for a wedding in a rice field, come on focus. How many bargirls live overseas when they had no official income, no assets and no official job. If Thailand did not let in rich foreigners where would Isarn be even poorer than it is now. Secondly morally - if a couple have children how are those kids going to feel if one parent has to leave because they did not have enough money, are they going to respect Thailand. What are these "annual rewards" Lastly it would be easy to check for criminal records, don't you see they want anyone as it attracts money, pure and simple, the window dressing about attracting high class people is an enigma. Face reality! You seem to have been brain washed that Thailand has been good to you. You have put money into this country and probably not got a penny back and never will like most of us.

Actually I came to Thailand in debt and have made much better money here through working and investment than I ever made living in the UK and Hong Kong before that. I agree that right of abode is pretty much automatic in Western countries, once the spouse gets there, but it is not always easy to get the settlement visa in the first place. There are plenty of threads here that testify to that. I don't condone a system that separates families but you have to accept that this is not a country with a developed welfare state mechanism and what there is does not have adequate long term funding. Universal healthcare has technically bankrupted nearly all government hospitals and the Social Security Fund has massively underfunded future liabilities that will have to be bailed out by taxpayers at a future date. Unlike most Western countries, it has also not regarded itself as a country of immigration, since it slammed the doors on mass Chinese immigration in the early 50s. The legacy of this remains till today in the form of the annual quota of 100 per nationality per year for PR applications. As mentioned, I am sure that the situation of the 4 million alien labourers features highly in official thinking over this. It is inconceivable that Thailand would allow automatic right of of abode only to farangs married to Thais but not to Asians. That would indeed be racist. Anyway I wish well to all struggling to keep families together in Thailand but just to trying to explain the mindset.

Seems everyone here has got there mind set on a 1 year visa ... if he's legally married, there are other options. He can apply for a 3 month non-o marriage visa instead. At least you can in Vientiane, but I would assume you can at most other Thai embassies as well. It costs 2000 baht, and as far as I know you can apply for this indefinitely. You don't need to show any source of income, but you'll have to go across the border and visit a Thai Embassy every three months, though. Afterwards, depending on how far it is to the closest immigration office, I think you can get a 2 month extension as well, without leaving Thailand.

It all depends on his health. Would he be able to make that trip every three months? And how far from the nearest border does he live?

Edit: I recently did both the Thai non-O marriage visa and the 2 month extension – so I know this is a possibility.

But that is just the thing..based on marriage, he should be able to get a non-O that will be for one year..no visit to the consulate, just walk across the border and back and you have 3 more months. And, if he is in ArunyaPrathet, that means like 15 mins to there, across and back...one year, but have to go out every three months and then back. I never made any trips to a consulate except for the first time.

But that is just the thing..based on marriage, he should be able to get a non-O that will be for one year..no visit to the consulate, just walk across the border and back and you have 3 more months. And, if he is in ArunyaPrathet, that means like 15 mins to there, across and back...one year, but have to go out every three months and then back. I never made any trips to a consulate except for the first time.

Really? Without even a visit to the consulate? That doesn't even seem fair! So to sum it up - I'm married and live 300 km away. Still, I am the one who has to spend the night in Vientiane while you guys just have to cross the border, and we both get a 3 months visa? Without you showing 400k or 800k in the bank? Seems ridiculous, but nothing surprises me anymore.

Based on many of the resonses here, mentioning going back to the US, 800 or 400k baht and whatnot, it seems that a majority of the posters has missed this point - he's more or less entitled to a 3 month visa, without any of those things even being part of the equation, for an indefinate periode of time - by going to the embassy/consulate.

But if he can get 3 months by just crossing the border, even better (on his part).

Edited by Sirbergan

This is the only country in the world that I know of if you marry one of their citizens you do not have right of abode. It is disgraceful. Thailand in 2013 is still racist.

The UK is another such country. I'm sure there are more.

Almost every country in Europe have such provisions, but there will always be a chance that the application is refused (and it certainly will be if you can't fulfill their requirements). Besides, the quoted poster is completely out of bounds. You more or less have the right, it would be exceptional if they refused you - but it's on a 3 months basis, meaning you will have to apply regularly if you don't want to (or can't) show 400k in the bank.

Edited by Sirbergan
  • Like 1

Really? Without even a visit to the consulate? That doesn't even seem fair! So to sum it up - I'm married and live 300 km away. Still, I am the one who has to spend the night in Vientiane while you guys just have to cross the border, and we both get a 3 months visa? Without you showing 400k or 800k in the bank? Seems ridiculous, but nothing surprises me anymore.

Based on many of the resonses here, mentioning going back to the US, 800 or 400k baht and whatnot, it seems that a majority of the posters has missed this point - he's more or less entitled to a 3 month visa, without any of those things even being part of the equation, for an indefinate periode of time - by going to the embassy/consulate.

But if he can get 3 months by just crossing the border, even better (on his part).

Yeah, sorry, I didn't make that clear in my original response. I went to the consulate one time.....paid 5,000 baht and then had a one year visa with no proof of income, but I had to just jump across the border every 3 months. As far as I know, this is still possible (I am on a different visa now).

I think getting her a visa even if married is possible but not guaranteed. Just out of curiosity what would staying 2 months in the USA with a spouse do for SS payments? She has to be resident 5 years in the US before SS is involved I believe.

• Like 1

One of the risks of giving it all up for Thailand is that things may go sideways. That's especially true if you're both older and fairly skint.

I think the guy has two choices - up to him.

Figure out a way to stay in Thailand. If one of the suggestions here doesn't work, an overstay is up to him and risky. I hope he can pay a fine a buy an airline ticket.

Go back to the US where if his SS payments are that small he would qualify for food stamps, free health insurance (Medicaid) maybe housing assistance and there is a government Senior Services office to help him negotiate it. 65 is considered a senior. There are also many charities that cater to the poor including places which provide a free hot lunch, will deliver "Meals on Wheels" for free, and so on.

The US is a good place to be if you're poor as long as you aren't a complete dropout by choice with alcohol, drug addiction, a serious criminal background, etc.

Up to him.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

He is most likely getting Social security from the US which is now little over 45,000 thb a month. He could go for the marriage extension.

Not everyone gets that much per month , I believe he cannot even pay the 1900B for the application , is what I thought his friend meant....

There is no combo method for Thai wife extensions of stay (which was the last suggestion to make it a lower bar).

Since when? Of course there is a combination of income & bank deposit!

----------------

Loburi3 is correct. . You CAN use a combination of monthly income and Thai bank deposit for a RETIREMENT extension. (extension of visa based on retirement).

But you can NOT use that same combination for a MARRIAGE extension. (extension of visa based on marriage to a Thai)

Retirement and marriage extensions have different financial rules on that point.

It went away about 5 years ago when 15 days by land started.

True, but they have started numbering walk-over entries (tourist waiver/entry permit) at Taichek (Myanmar/Burma) - so likely immigration there at least may start limiting tourist visa runs. They can also insist on seeing the 20k cash that is required for entry.

He is most likely getting Social security from the US which is now little over 45,000 thb a month. He could go for the marriage extension.

Not everyone gets that much per month , I believe he cannot even pay the 1900B for the application , is what I thought his friend meant....

almost 80posts all of which are mostly has he or hasnt he got any funds,but there has been no mention of the wife and the part she is playing in all this.we all know when the tough gets going the going gets tough and they or most dont like it and will walk away if her standads drops.so it would be a bit of comfort if the op.can let us know is she[wf] looking after him because thats what he needs right now.there is no sympathy in this country when it comes to farangs so if he has any mates they should try and help him out by the way of a ticket home unless he has no one there.

• Like 1

sorry newbie question here. If I deposit 800K in bank do I need any income to qualify for retirement visa so long as the law doesn't change and I leave the money there?

Nope. If you have the 800k you have fulfilled the financial requirement - if you have less then you need the income to top it up.

Unfortunately, he'll probably have to leave. I think he may be able to petition the local immigration office for a waiver based on his health condition but they tend to frown on foreigners who are unable to support themselves.

Don't know what's unfortunate about it, Thailand hardly need foreign residents who are wiped out financially after an illness. People on such a short leash have no business living as expatriates. Hopefully, the family can join him in Farangland and maybe the wife can work to support the family.

Not possible.

You must first get a multiple entry non-o visa from a embassy or consulate to get a 90 entry.

sorry newbie question here. If I deposit 800K in bank do I need any income to qualify for retirement visa so long as the law doesn't change and I leave the money there?

No need to show income if you have money in the bank.

You only have to have it there for 60 days for first extension and then 90 days for the next ones

lot of great visa solution advice...

however

not much getting into the real problem here, i think.

if someone, for whatever reason is down to his/her last 27.000$ (800.000thb) as saving to show it up, or might have even larger problem if 400.000 is trouble as well....

then the real thoughts should go not in visa solutions, but moving back to USA, where at least he wont left starving, as there will be some charity taking care of such, not likely option here for a down on luck, poor farang.

as some said, Thailand isnt a place to be with no money, especially for foreigners!

A friend of mine had been married to a Thai woman for 30 years. His wife died quite suddenly and he'd been doing the three month visa run for all of those years, having a limited amount of money, even from their long term business, even this put an enormous strain on their joint finances. In the end, he stopped bothering with this ridiculous and unfair 'Law' for just a few months prior to his wife's passing. He had nothing left and shot himself shortly after.

For all those stating 'Go Home'. What would you do in similar circumstances? This was his home for more than 30 years! Show a little humanity. These immigration laws are simply more ways to make money/life more difficult for non Thais and should be overhauled in a civilised society. I'm not holding my breath.

As to the OP's situation, if your friend is in as ill health that he couldn't even countenance a ' border crossing' every 15 bloody days, tell him not to bother. Good luck and to hell with stupid iniquitous inconsistent inhumane Thai immigration 'Laws'.

• Like 2

lot of great visa solution advice...

however

not much getting into the real problem here, i think.

if someone, for whatever reason is down to his/her last 27.000$ (800.000thb) as saving to show it up, or might have even larger problem if 400.000 is trouble as well....

then the real thoughts should go not in visa solutions, but moving back to USA, where at least he wont left starving, as there will be some charity taking care of such, not likely option here for a down on luck, poor farang.

as some said, Thailand isnt a place to be with no money, especially for foreigners!

Hi, he has a good income but due to going back and forth to the U.S. he has spent most of his savings, he wont be left in a gutter it's just the money in the bank problem. He can save it back up but it'll take a while.