Corned Beef

OZEMADE

Since my wife has been to OZ she has a taste for the old corned beef.

I too have a taste for it as well, so do any members here actually know where to purchase the corned beef.

We have tried the usual places, Foodland, Friendship, BigC etc. Any info would be appreciated.wai2.gif

Corned Beef & tomato yummy

well I think you are going to besorry when you see the price of Corned Beef in Thailand another luxury item with inflated prices for the expat pallet. I have seen it in most the supermarkets maybe its just the brand label you do not identify get friends who come to visit to pop a tin ot two in there bag

I had assumed that the OP was looking for non canned stuff as everybody us quite right that the canned stuff is available all over the place. Real (or should I say fresh) is rather different and will have to come from a butcher shop I think.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

well I think you are going to besorry when you see the price of Corned Beef in Thailand another luxury item with inflated prices for the expat pallet. I have seen it in most the supermarkets maybe its just the brand label you do not identify get friends who come to visit to pop a tin ot two in there bag

Seriously? You would ask a friend to bring a few cans of corned beef with them in their suitcase from overseas to save maybe 100 baht?

Edited by tropo

Presuming that you don't want it from a can, Western Wholesale (Soi Chaiapreuk) and KPK (off Soi Yumae) both do it.

There's only one way to have corned beef, it's from a tin (can), anything else is an imposter!!

I feel so sorry for your poor taste buds. May they rest in peace......

I have seen and bought corned beef in Tesco and Tops.

Both shops sell that in tinfoil, packed in a small box, 100 grammes for 55 baht.

Good taste and texture.

Might be around the tinned fish department, that is where i found it.

Edited by hansnl

Presuming that you don't want it from a can, Western Wholesale (Soi Chaiapreuk) and KPK (off Soi Yumae) both do it.

There's only one way to have corned beef, it's from a tin (can), anything else is an imposter!!

Brought a slab from Korat, still not sure how to cook it, if it is cooked already or needs cooking.

As for canned CB....well, I bought a can the other day and what slid out was a poor mans version of dog food....gross.

Up here in Chiang Mai they have small tins of Princess Corned Beef, and

larger tins of Corned Beef from Oz cannot remember the brand name.

so there must be an importer in Thailand.

Corned Beef,onion and potato pie, loverly ,with HP sauce.

regards Worgeordie

I feel so sorry for your poor taste buds. May they rest in peace......

The canned corn beef is usually the Irish-style that you use in corned beef hash. The freshly made stuff is usually the Jewish-style that you use in sandwiches. They are not the same and do not taste right if you use the wrong one for the wrong purpose.

I had assumed that the OP was looking for non canned stuff as everybody us quite right that the canned stuff is available all over the place. Real (or should I say fresh) is rather different and will have to come from a butcher shop I think.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes corned beef means different things to different people.

To us Poms it comes canned from Argentina.

To Aussies it means a whole joint of beef that has been brined for you to cook. A good UK butcher will do this for you too.

Once you've had a Jewish corned beef sandwich... or an Irish corned beef & cabbage dinner... the only thing you'll want out of a can is the soda to wash it all down!

cool.png.pagespeed.ce.k9KlgmQelf.png

There used to be a guy in Jomtien who made corned beef sandwiches like your picture shows. He owned Delizza. I wonder if he has set up shop in another area. The sandwiches were so good! The only reason I can think of that any person would want corned beef out of a can is that they grew up on it and it reminds them of home cooking.

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

Once you've had a Jewish corned beef sandwich... or an Irish corned beef & cabbage dinner... the only thing you'll want out of a can is the soda to wash it all down!

There used to be a guy in Jomtien who made corned beef sandwiches like your picture shows. He owned Delizza. I wonder if he has set up shop in another area. The sandwiches were so good! The only reason I can think of that any person would want corned beef out of a can is that they grew up on it and it reminds them of home cooking.

I went by the old Delizza premises a few weeks ago, it was closed but the son of the father - son team was there and said they will be opening a new for delivery only business soon. Not sure how it will be announced, maybe here or maybe with one of the Pattaya new papers.

I agree with both points: Delizza's corned beef sandwiches were excellent and, if you grew up eating corned beef from a tin (can), I understand how you could enjoy it lifelong.

I went by the old Delizza premises a few weeks ago, it was closed but the son of the father - son team was there and said they will be opening a new for delivery only business soon. Not sure how it will be announced, maybe here or maybe with one of the Pattaya new papers.

That is good news. I hope, this time, they focus on sandwiches and not on sandwiches and pizza. Nobody can make sandwiches like they made (at least not in Thailand). Not cheap, but you can't expect them to be cheap. In case they read this, how about 1) smoked BBQ (southern USA way, which means excellent beef brisket, which I have never been able to find in Asia), 2) corned beef, 3) real Italian sub (not like Sub%$y), 4) turkey sandwiches (maybe I am wishing for too much now), 5) meatloaf sandwiches, 5) smoked ham (at least Thailand does have good pork).

• Like 1

In case anyone is interested, this is how I cure corned beef at home:

Make brine with hot water and enough iodine-free salt until it can float an egg.

Add sugar to the brine in the ratio 1/4 cup sugar to 4 cups brine.

Add some curing salt ( which contains about 6% saltpeter) to the brine, use about 1 teaspoon to 4 cups brine.

Add some pickling spices of your choice, this is optional.

Cool the brine. Submerge beef brisket in the brine, keep it in the fridge for 7-10 days.

It’s easy, you can do it. Don’t let any phony chef make it complicating or tell you only he can do it. smile.png

Iodine free salt: kosher salt, pickling salt, Thai rock salt, sea salt.

Curing salt: I bought it at WWM Co.,Ltd Pattaya.

Edited by Thailand J
  • Like 1